Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread
Feb 20, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #106 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HeadphoneAddict, I have a rather odd (stupid?) question & request for you.

Would you please check if the grey silicon tips can be used with the ES3X. I know they're meant to be custom IEMs, and you need to have ear impressions, but I'm considering getting them, and may have to wait for a while until to have impressions done, and so, I'd be using the grey tips in the meantime.

Thanks

????

Use the grey tips with what?

Feb 20, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #107 of 1,871
Quote:

Would you please check if the grey silicon tips can be used with the ES3X. I know they're meant to be custom IEMs, and you need to have ear impressions, but I'm considering getting them, and may have to wait for a while until to have impressions done, and so, I'd be using the grey tips in the meantime.

Thanks

Custom IEM's don't work that way. The tip is molded onto the IEM and isn't user replaceable like a non-custom IEM.

You could always pick up the Westone 3 and then resell when you are ready for the ES3x.

Feb 20, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #108 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by GTL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
????

Use the grey tips with what?

Use the W3 grey soft silicon tips with the ES3X, while waiting for a 1-3 months to get the custom tips for the ES3X.

Feb 20, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #110 of 1,871
eeerrrmmmm....the body of the ES3X IS the tip; just like all full customs; thats why there is no resale value whatsoever. as no-one else can wear them, thus the label custom. i'm afraid you wont be getting anything until you get impressions done

Feb 20, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #112 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by GTL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have to send impressions in and then wait for westone to send the e3x to u, which is totally customised to your ear. you can't just get a e3x.

So, what exactly do you get for $850?
Does that mean you pay extra for the ear impressions, which are then sent to Westone, who then in turn send the whole custom IEM to you? Is that right?

Feb 20, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #113 of 1,871
Quote:

So, what exactly do you get for $850?
Does that mean you pay extra for the ear impressions, which are then sent to Westone, who then in turn send the whole custom IEM to you? Is that right?

If you order through a authorized westone dealer they send the IEM back to your audiologist for fit, but yes, basically what you said
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 20, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #114 of 1,871
Quote:

Thanks

Impossible. Have you seen the photos? They are only shipped out after an impression of the ear is sent in, and the casing is molded into a shape exactly like the inside of the ear canal - you add even 0.2mm in thickness and you'd ruin the whole fit. Everyones canals are different and you can't typically swap these from person to person either. These do not come in a universal fit model, and have their own unique drivers and crossover (share one driver with the Westone 3 and that is it).

Feb 20, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #115 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Impossible. Have you seen the photos? They are only shipped out after an impression of the ear is sent in, and the casing is molded into a shape exactly like the inside of the ear canal - you add even 0.2mm in thickness and you'd ruin the whole fit. Everyones canals are different and you can't typically swap these from person to person either. These do not come in a universal fit model, and have their own unique drivers and crossover (share one driver with the Westone 3 and that is it).

Thanks, again.
Yes, I did get confused with the UM56 which can be used with Universal IEMs, and the ES3X which is NOT a Universal IEM - so, in the end you paid $850 + cost of ear impressions, right?

Feb 20, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #116 of 1,871
Quote:

Thanks, again.
Yes, I did get confused with the UM56 which can be used with Universal IEMs, and the ES3X which is NOT a Universal IEM - so, in the end you paid $850 + cost of ear impressions, right?

sorry... but we talk abaout 20$?! confused...

regards
Luigi

Feb 20, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #117 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by papa-luigi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry... but we talk abaout 20$?! confused...

regards
Luigi

Hi there,
Sorry, but don't know what your asking/ saying.

Feb 21, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #118 of 1,871
Quote:

Thanks, again.

Check around and you can usually find an audiologist/Westone dealer who will do the impressions for free if you buy the IEM from them. Before he retired in 2007, my old audiologist only charged me $70 for my UM56 (although I had spent $30 x 2 for impressions for other IEM with him before).

Feb 21, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #120 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check around and you can usually find an audiologist/Westone dealer who will do the impressions for free if you buy the IEM from them. Before he retired in 2007, my old audiologist only charged me $70 for my UM56 (although I had spent $30 x 2 for impressions for other IEM with him before).

True.. When I bought a pair of Musician's earplugs from my audiologist, I wanted one more pair of molds so that I could order the Livewires. My audiologists did it for free because "this service is not in the price list"
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back