Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread
Jun 15, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #1,171 of 1,871
Rdr. Seraphim, what that you are saying is very intresting. But still, when you have good sits I have never noticed that any low frequencies instruments disturbs the high frequencies instruments from presenting the theme/subject [still don't know the exact word], or that it might sound dull. I will give my ears more 1 week to get used to.
You do can hear the subject clearly, but not clear as I think it should be [but maybe I wrong, havn't been in a concert for too long].

Thank you for the compliments. The pictures were taken through/with Nikon Coolpix P4.

Jun 15, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #1,172 of 1,871
From now listening - WOW I was wrong!!! The sound is perfect and so well balanced! It was the AKG sound signature which made me to get used to birght sound!

When I EQed it, it sounded so unrealistic from any aspect including balance!

Jun 15, 2009 at 11:39 AM Post #1,174 of 1,871
I used to do a little bit of recording engineering and the person who trained me was trained by the BBC. I was always told that EQ = distortion! Don't do it... it will be as you said - unrealistic.

If you're listening to speakers though, EQ for a room may be entirely appropriate to neutralise any standing waves etc.

Jun 15, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #1,175 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoValidTitle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Negative, she had me open and close my mouth a bunch while they were setting. I did the same thing on my last set though. I'm not sure if it means anything but after they were fully set I moved my head all around and opened my mouth and such to see if the seal on the "set" molds would break and all was well. I doubt that means anything but thought I would mention it.

OK, you're going to hate me, but you need to have a new set done. They NEED to be open jaw impressions. The canals need to stay set in the most open position (open mouth=open canals) to get the best impression, which leads to the best fit. As soon as you compress the impression material once it does not "spring back" to a fuller form.

Jun 15, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #1,176 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by pila405 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From now listening - WOW I was wrong!!! The sound is perfect and so well balanced! It was the AKG sound signature which made me to get used to birght sound!

Pila405, reading your series of posts is like reading a novel - the unusual character (who listens to only classical music, at age 16), the suspense, the twists and turns, the chaotic climax... damnit just stop it already! hahaha That said, I'm glad you found your enjoyment back from those little nuggets that are more expensive than platinum pound for pound. When all is said, it's still back to the same fundamental idea - what sounds good to you doesn't have to sound good to everyone else. If you finally decide your AKG is preferable for classical I guess no one would blame you. Happy listening.
smile.gif

Jun 15, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #1,177 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigon_ridge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pila405, reading your series of posts is like reading a novel - the unusual character (who listens to only classical music, at age 16), the suspense, the twists and turns, the chaotic climax... damnit just stop it already! hahaha That said, I'm glad you found your enjoyment back from those little nuggets that are more expensive than platinum pound for pound. When all is said, it's still back to the same fundamental idea - what sounds good to you doesn't have to sound good to everyone else. If you finally decide your AKG is preferable for classical I guess no one would blame you. Happy listening.
smile.gif

ROFL!

And the ES3X are better for classical, much better because of the narutal and realistic sound and timbre. It is much better in reproducing solos and chamber music from any aspect, but with orchestal music they don't have the soundstage which the AKG have.

Jun 15, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #1,178 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by tinseljim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to do a little bit of recording engineering and the person who trained me was trained by the BBC. I was always told that EQ = distortion! Don't do it... it will be as you said - unrealistic.

If you're listening to speakers though, EQ for a room may be entirely appropriate to neutralise any standing waves etc.

Most equalizers work by changing the phase of a particular frequency, which causes phase cancellation, which causes that frequency to dip or grow. Phase changes are a form of distortion, and excessive EQ can cause major issues.

There are in fact linear phase equalizers. Most mastering houses use them now when mastering music. But it is very likely that no portable media player on the market has a linear phase equalizer. My Zen, for example, definitely causes phase and soundstage problems when the custom EQ is used. Their presets seem less damaging, not sure why. They could be using a different algorithm for the presets than they are for the custom.

When recording, the absolute best EQ is microphone placement. And when playing back, the absolute best EQ is room treatment (foamy walls, etc.) With earphones, the best EQ is a good design at the factory, and a good fit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by roy_jones
"Mental burn-in" is a real phenomenon. It makes the whole concept of neutrality somewhat enigmatic because it's an inherently relative concept.

The phenomenon is true, but I'm not sure your conclusion is. The brain can correct for all kinds of audio issues, most common being frequency balance and comb filtering. There have been extensive studies on this (by both audiologists and Rupert Neve), and it has been shown that corrections by the brain cause listener fatigue (ears getting tired) and negative emotional response (ick, I don't like this). So there are tangible benefits to accurate frequency response.

Jun 15, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #1,179 of 1,871
Quote:

Pila, I hope we're not influencing you to our way of hearing. I would encourage you to stick with your perspective, even if it doesn't agree with our findings. Having sunk a huge chunk of change into the ES3X we'd all love to believe that we made the right decision. Before the the purchase we rationalize the high cost of the purchase as being state of the art; after the purchase, we sometimes rationalize that what we've been listening to is skewed or colored, so the new "toy" must be more accurate.

For myself, I have been in the audiophile hobby for over 40 years. Even at my age my hearing spans 20Hz - 15k Hz, albeit at significantly lower levels at the extremes, and some variation along the way. I wouldn't say I have "golden ears," but I have certainly learned how my personal preferences effect my evaluation of a product. Sometimes I don't like what I'm hearing, but have to admit that it may actually be more "real." Listening to a live event via headphones or loudspeakers, for example in a recording studio, or on location almost never sounds that way when it is finally published. I'm convinced that many people would not like the raw results.

So, I hope we're not overly pushy re what we like about the ES3X, so much so that you feel compelled to go along, or fit in. The ES3X represent a fairly sizable initiation fee, but having paid the price doesn't mandate that you say all the right things just to please the audience!

Jun 15, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #1,180 of 1,871
Rdr. Seraphim - I know it might look like you made me to say so to "please the audience", but the truth is the last opinion I posted.
popcorn.gif
tongue.gif

Just listening to Mendelssohn's violin concerto in E minor and it is fantastic. The violin [played by Accardo] sounds very stable but also very realistic and warm with great texture and detail. very airy! Realy amazing 'phones and nothing less.
biggrin.gif

Soon will listen with Pico.
L3000.gif

Don't worry, other's people opinions doesn't influence me too much, if at all sometimes. I state my opinion only after giving a test.

And Heaf-Fi managers, if you read this, we need Westone ES3X's smile.

Jun 15, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #1,181 of 1,871
Quote:

Rdr. Seraphim - I know it might look like you made me to say so to "please the audience", but the truth is the last opinion I posted.
popcorn.gif
tongue.gif

Just listening to Mendelssohn's violin concerto in E minor and it is fantastic. The violin [played by Accardo] sounds very stable but also very realistic and warm with great texture and detail. very airy! Realy amazing 'phones and nothing less.
biggrin.gif

Soon will listen with Pico.
L3000.gif

Don't worry, other's people opinions doesn't influence me too much, if at all sometimes. I state my opinion only after giving a test.

And Heaf-Fi managers, if you read this, we need Westone ES3X's smile.

With the DAC? I hope so. I sure do like mine!
bigsmile_face.gif
It just might fill in that last iota! I'm considering something else too, maybe a Slim or something from RSA, just to play around and satisfy some of my curiosity.

Jun 15, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #1,182 of 1,871
With DAC, ofcourse.

Jun 15, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #1,183 of 1,871
I requested color (candy blue) and cable (black) for my ES3X on June 12. They already have my impressions. How long does it take to receive them?

Jun 15, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #1,184 of 1,871
I guess it will take about 2 weeks for you because you in the US, maybe 18 days.

Jun 15, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #1,185 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I requested color (candy blue) and cable (black) for my ES3X on June 12. They already have my impressions. How long does it take to receive them?

Once they receive your ear impressions it takes 5-7 working days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back