Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread
Oct 28, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #1,726 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by theoaklandraider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another 110% Completely Satisfied Customer!!!!

I picked up my ES3X's this morning from my audiologist and these are simply amazing!!! There's no words to describe how they sound!!

Westone - You guys are the best!!! You received my molds and returned the customs to my audiologist in less than a weeks time! And the fit perfectly!!

There isn't one negative word, thought, or expression. This is the best money that I've spent in years!!

Thanks!

Congrats TheOklandRaider! Good pick! Hope you enjoy the music! And welcome to the club.
wink.gif

Oct 29, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #1,732 of 1,871
I got a used pair and sent them to Westone to have them refit. I'm mostly happy (my local audiologist was cheap with impressions, but they don't use Westone much so it wasn't quite effortless), although I don't think people are going to want to send them to Westone for refitting unless you get them really cheap. They sent an entirely new case and cable with them so that was nice. Fit and comfort is good, and sound quality excellent.

I'd place overall sound quality pretty similar to the modded W5000s I also have (this is a good thing, pretty much exactly what I was wanting). I prefer the more pronounced midrange, especially vocals of the ES3X, and they're actually better at micro-detail retrieval, something I felt the W5000 was quite good at to begin with, but these are even better. They are a bit less forgiving of poor recordings, in that its really noticeable, but good ones shine even more. I'll echo what most others have said about higher end custom IEMs, they're pretty transparent and show you what the recording and your source allows. A couple of times I was disappointed with the way the bass on a track was (was kinda flat), and I was worried that it was the ES3X, but hearing it with something else allayed those fears. I haven't paid particular attention to instrument placement, but I don't notice it being any worse than the W5000s in that. Sound stage is less, but doesn't bother me, and is plenty good (better than PFEs easily).

I would be curious to see about getting a more home-friendly, balanced cable and running it out of this for a pretty low cost but hopefully great sounding setup. Not sure how well that DAC would actually do directly balanced out. A Benchmark DAC1 would probably be better (but also would cost significantly more).

Oct 31, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #1,733 of 1,871
I just got my ES3X today!!!
I gotta say, they sound pretty fantastic so far.

However, the right monitor is slightly uncomfortable
dsc2022.jpg

i think it is that protruding point in the picture against my ear wall that is causing the discomfort, which is slightly too big.

I'm wondering if there's any way i can trim the vinyl myself so i don't have to send the IEMs back to westone (or redo an ear impression)? Thanks in advance.

Oct 31, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #1,734 of 1,871
It could be you're not wearing them perfectly inline, try tilting the monitor back and forth to see if it helps. Also push on the facepalte to make sure it's all the way it. Hope that helps =)

Oct 31, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #1,735 of 1,871
Hey thanks. I tried it already, it slightly improves the comfort, but i can still feel the little bump in my ear. The left ear is perfect though.

Oct 31, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #1,736 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwang411 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my ES3X today!!!
I gotta say, they sound pretty fantastic so far.

However, the right monitor is slightly uncomfortable
dsc2022.jpg

i think it is that protruding point in the picture against my ear wall that is causing the discomfort, which is slightly too big.

I'm wondering if there's any way i can trim the vinyl myself so i don't have to send the IEMs back to westone (or redo an ear impression)? Thanks in advance.

Mine look like that and they fit me fine (bump and all, which might be why I get such a good seal and isolation). It almost looks like I could wear yours in my ears.

Oct 31, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #1,737 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine look like that and they fit me fine (bump and all, which might be why I get such a good seal and isolation). It almost looks like I could wear yours in my ears.

The isolation is great, just that the right monitor is slightly uncomfortable, and i can feel the bump if i open my jaw touch the monitor. I'm very tempted to take an exacto knife and just carefully cut off a small piece of the bulge... but i don't know if that would void the warranty ...

refit just seems like a lot of trouble, new impressions, send to westone, and the long wait...
i wonder if powderhound has any suggestions?

Oct 31, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #1,740 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwang411 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The isolation is great, just that the right monitor is slightly uncomfortable, and i can feel the bump if i open my jaw touch the monitor. I'm very tempted to take an exacto knife and just carefully cut off a small piece of the bulge... but i don't know if that would void the warranty ...

refit just seems like a lot of trouble, new impressions, send to westone, and the long wait...
i wonder if powderhound has any suggestions?

Before any modding I would keep wearing them for a while and see if you get used to them over days or a couple of weeks, or even if after an hour to make sure the heat sensitive tips soften up enough.

Then, if you do decide to mod them yourself you might want to sand them down instead, but definitely do not cut them with the eXacto knife which could leave them uneven and more uncomfortable. A better option is to talk with Westone and see what they can do about the small bump, so it is covered under warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back