Westone ES2 (the underappreciated custom)
Jan 16, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #166 of 200
hmmm, it just dawned on me...when i was placing the ES2 order thru the audiologist, i wasn't asked for colour preferences...i can still try calling them tomorrow, but from what they told me at the time, the impressions will be shipped to Colorado ASAP. will i just receive a bare-bones clear flavour?

Jan 19, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #167 of 200
Quote:

Originally Posted by camille /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmmm, it just dawned on me...when i was placing the ES2 order thru the audiologist, i wasn't asked for colour preferences...i can still try calling them tomorrow, but from what they told me at the time, the impressions will be shipped to Colorado ASAP. will i just receive a bare-bones clear flavour?

camille did you get the color you wanted? I went with a generic beige skin tone.

Jan 19, 2007 at 8:44 AM Post #168 of 200
i contacted westone via email and it will be taken care of; i did specify my colour(s) (monitor and cable) and a pic of it in the coming weeks will answer your question.

Jan 19, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #170 of 200
Well, 3 months in, 4 re-fits later, and righty still doesnt fit right. Just sent in another impression, Im losing hope.

Jan 19, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #171 of 200
Hey milkpowder

You already have ACS T2's and now you want ES2 and/or UE10 Pro's? Need to clarify, so I know who to bug when it comes for me to go down the inevitable customs route
tongue.gif
'Cos that's where we are all headed, even if we deny it
icon10.gif

Jan 20, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #172 of 200
Hey,

I was choosing between the T2 and the UE10Pro. Went for the T2 and had impressions taken on the 10th. I expect them to come some time in the next week or so... *so excited!* It would be nice to be able to get the UE10Pro as well! Too bad I've depleted my audio funds already...

Jan 20, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #173 of 200
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey milkpowder

You already have ACS T2's and now you want ES2 and/or UE10 Pro's? Need to clarify, so I know who to bug when it comes for me to go down the inevitable customs route
tongue.gif
'Cos that's where we are all headed, even if we deny it
icon10.gif

I actually think you may be right. For those of us in the IEM world, full customs are the eventual end for each of us. How many different brands, and versions will remain open to upgraditis, and sound preference though.

I only use IEMs, and really don't see going for full sized phones. After getting my first pair, I came to the conclusion that customs are going to happen whether I want it or not, it's just going to happen.

I do love that more people are getting customs because that means more reviews, more opinions, and more thoughts to help those of us who haven't made the jump YET decide which way to go. From the reports so far, I will admit I've switched my leanings from Sensaphonics over to Westone ES2s.

Right now, I'm planning on making the ES2s my tax refund gift to myself. If that doesn't work out, I'll tell my wife that those are the only thing I want for my B-Day in the summer. Now just to prepare for the waiting game.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Jeff

Jan 25, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #174 of 200
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hendrix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
camille did you get the color you wanted? I went with a generic beige skin tone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by camille /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i contacted westone via email and it will be taken care of; i did specify my colour(s) (monitor and cable) and a pic of it in the coming weeks will answer your question.

well, just over 1 week since getting the impressions done (15/1 - 25/1) the ES2s have landed. and suffice to say, i'm happy i got em so quick, but disappointed my colour request (via email to Westone) didn't go through -- which was Neon Pink w/ black cord. So far, the fit seems good; it wasn't a open jaw, just with the mouth partially open. If problems arise with the fit, i could get them re-fitted (and hopefully i can ask to get the colour of the monitors changed).

I've given it a listen for about 1/2 an hour, and it is exceedingly better than my FX33s, but I guess I may have expected too much. I might've gotten used to the colourization that the FX33 has; the ES2 is very neutral, warm-like. It will take some time getting used to.

Sound

This is just a mini summary of my impressions so far, and remember that it's unamped. They do have great instrument seperation. Listening to some tracks off Rin''s album "Inland Sea" and both Joanna Newsom albums were great examples. You can really hear each string being plucked; it's quite precise but not to the point of it being very cold and sterile. Another good reference would be The Ditty Bops' albums; differentiate between Abby's acoustic guitar and Amanda's mandolin are so easy. I'm loving these albums all over again!

On piano, from listening to albums from Sarah Slean, Regina Spektor, and Rosie Thomas, the piano just comes out quite clear with a touch of sparkle, and it's very up front. The vocals, however, do seemed pushed back; it's not as clean as I thought. I kinda got sold on how they were good at re-producing vocals, but it didn't seem the case -- good but that great.

Bass-wise, they seem to be on the right level; not overly bassy but enough to keep with the flow of the music, if you get what I mean.
tongue.gif
The bass is real tight, and not flabby but again not boomy.

Wow, they're growing on me very quickly. However, microphonics are more present than the FX33s, which would make it a bit annoying. Again, it will take some time to get re-accustomed to it.

Overall, I like what i hear (and feel). Of course, I'm sure these will easily benefit from a great amp at a low-gain setting ([M] Hornet, perhaps?). I won't rush getting an amp anytime soon.

As always, the ubiquitous pics:

ES2_2-1.jpg

ES2_1.jpg

more impressions on these in due time. Enjoi. cheers!
icon10.gif

Jan 25, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #175 of 200
Congrats!!! I'm so jealous because yours came so quickly! Happy listening!

EDIT: I didn't know the ES2s came with a bare braided cable... Always thought it was a sheathed one.

Jan 25, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #176 of 200
I've used several amps with my ES2 and so far the Hornet sounds the best although I have had very positive results with other amps that use the AD8397 chip. It really works well with the ES2 sonic characteristics. They also sounded really good with the AD797 from the HR-2 but that is a hell of an amp to use with IEM's
basshead.gif

camille - The vocals never sound pushed back to me, in fact I find them to be the opposite and sound a bit forward. I seldom listen unamped though as I find it to be more of a clouded sound with less "snap", sparkle and overall clarity.

Jan 25, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #177 of 200
I never posted pictures huh?
Well, here they are:
IMG_1579.jpg

In my ears (They are there.. my hair's perfect to hide them
biggrin.gif
):
IMG_1589.jpg

With my hair out of the way (a look i'll never do outside):
IMG_1592.jpg

I posted in ear pictures because i know how much i wanted to know what they would look like in my ears

I like the sound, fit is about 10% away from perfect.. but i'm not really sure i want to send it back, who knows when it's going to be back and where to
rolleyes.gif

Jan 26, 2007 at 2:02 PM Post #178 of 200
I believe that everyone here has heard of the pending arrival of the Westone 3. I would like to know why, with that in mind, would you not wait to hear them before going through the trouble and expense of obtaining the ES-2?

I am trying to decide if I should get my impressions made next week for the ES-2s, or wait until there is a verdict on the Westone 3. The fact that some of you have decided not to wait on the "3" makes me wonder if you know that it isn't worth the wait.
confused.gif

Jan 26, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #179 of 200
Quote:

Originally Posted by No Deal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe that everyone here has heard of the pending arrival of the Westone 3. I would like to know why, with that in mind, would you not wait to hear them before going through the trouble and expense of obtaining the ES-2?

I am trying to decide if I should get my impressions made next week for the ES-2s, or wait until there is a verdict on the Westone 3. The fact that some of you have decided not to wait on the "3" makes me wonder if you know that it isn't worth the wait.
confused.gif

Sometimes it's just simple impatience??
wink.gif
... I too am waiting on the 3 verdict.. I still don't understand PowderHoundz posts about the 3 being slightly better than the ES-2s in some regards... making it sound like the ONLY benefit is the custom-fit (better isolation) for the ES-2s.... weird.. Hang on, No Deal, wait it out... you might come out ahead, especially if it's priced considerably LOWER.
wink.gif

Jan 26, 2007 at 2:30 PM Post #180 of 200
This is a tough call and waiting is hard!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back