Westone ES2 (the underappreciated custom)
Jan 26, 2007 at 3:14 PM Post #181 of 200
What have you got to lose by waiting? The worse case is the Westone 3s are not your cup of tea so you sell 'em... On the OTHER hand you get the ES-2s realize that they're not your cup of tea and you're stuck!
wink.gif

Patience is a virtue, especially with this evil hobby!!
evil_smiley.gif
Muhahahahaha!

Jan 26, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #182 of 200
Quote:

Originally Posted by No Deal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe that everyone here has heard of the pending arrival of the Westone 3. I would like to know why, with that in mind, would you not wait to hear them before going through the trouble and expense of obtaining the ES-2?

I am trying to decide if I should get my impressions made next week for the ES-2s, or wait until there is a verdict on the Westone 3. The fact that some of you have decided not to wait on the "3" makes me wonder if you know that it isn't worth the wait.
confused.gif

Well first there is no universal that can compete with the comfort and fit of a custom. Second if you look at the FOTM factor of the E500 and triple.fi it's a safe assumption to say they'll be more bark than bite.

I have not heard the triple.fi but I owned the E500 and bang for buck I'd take the E4C or the UM2 over them and save $200-$300 without looking back.

Jan 26, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #183 of 200
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sometimes it's just simple impatience??
wink.gif
... I too am waiting on the 3 verdict.. I still don't understand PowderHoundz posts about the 3 being slightly better than the ES-2s in some regards... making it sound like the ONLY benefit is the custom-fit (better isolation) for the ES-2s.... weird.. Hang on, No Deal, wait it out... you might come out ahead, especially if it's priced considerably LOWER.
wink.gif

I think p0wderh0und23 claimed that the 3s have more prominent highs and smoother mids than the ES2 but not as much bass because of the looser fit vs customs. That statement alone would keep me from getting the ES2s and wait for the 3s.

Jan 26, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #184 of 200
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think p0wderh0und23 claimed that the 3s have more prominent highs and smoother mids than the ES2 but not as much bass because of the looser fit vs customs. That statement alone would keep me from getting the ES2s and wait for the 3s.

The increased bass of the ES2 is not because of the custom vs. universal. It comes down to how they are made. The 3 is made to have a more even over all sound. The custom version WILL ROCK !

Jan 26, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #185 of 200
Thanks for the clarification. I just favour "a more even overall sound" for classical music. If the Custom 3s were to be priced below $900, say $800, I think you'll seriously steal a lot of UE's audiophile customers!

Jan 26, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #186 of 200
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The increased bass of the ES2 is not because of the custom vs. universal. It comes down to how they are made. The 3 is made to have a more even over all sound. The custom version WILL ROCK !

I thought that I had read that there was no guarantee that a custom "3" would be made. Also, if I buy the universal, will I need to invest in a new pair to have customs or can the universals be upgraded?

Jan 26, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #187 of 200
Quote:

Originally Posted by No Deal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought that I had read that there was no guarantee that a custom "3" would be made. Also, if I buy the universal, will I need to invest in a new pair to have customs or can the universals be upgraded?

blink.gif
The only way to upgrade universal IEM's is to purchase custom sleeves like the Westone UM56's. If you want a custom IEM, there's no trade-in policy, you do have to "invest" in a new pair.

Jan 27, 2007 at 2:05 PM Post #190 of 200
Quote:

I got word yesterday they are, they will be available at the sametime. No word on pricing yet.

I would almost be willing to bet that the custom version will cost more than the ES-2. If they are good, I may have to kiss the Micro Stack good-bye. Oh well!

Jan 28, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #191 of 200
Sigh. Just when I was set on wasting cash on the O2, here comes this...

Count me in on the custom version, though it may take a while to scrape up the pocket change. I guess I'll have to settle for an SRM-006tII to power my 404's in the meanwhile...

Jan 28, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #192 of 200
Quote:

I got word yesterday they are, they will be available at the sametime. No word on pricing yet.

I suppose now other Customs makers have more of an incentive to develop 3 way drivers..

All the rage in 3-4 yrs possibly? When my current custom dies of old age...

Jan 28, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #193 of 200
Quote:

SOLD!
icon10.gif

This was the news I was waiting for. I was already set to buy the ES2, but I think this might be the one to get. Now for the waiting game....

-Jeff

Feb 12, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #194 of 200
The ES2s, they've come back to me and this time they got a makeover...

before:
ES2_2-1.jpg

after:
ES2_1-2.jpg

yes, they are pink; big whoop, wanna fight about it?
tongue.gif

now awaiting my mini-mini IC from headphonia to connect it to my PINT to give'r a listen. Special thanks to p0wderh0und23 who patiently answered all my ramblings and inquiries and set the whole thing to get it sent back and all, very grateful!! cheers!

>sorry wakeride74, Westone didn't give me a copy of Flashdance.
rs1smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back