Westone ES2 (the underappreciated custom)
Oct 20, 2006 at 10:20 PM Post #136 of 200
hey guys,

i'm in the same boat as jdimitri.. couldn't resist so i recently took the plunge and ordered the ES2's.. [after i get them i'm taking head-fi off my bookmark toolbar on firefox.. hopefully that'll save my wallet for a bit......... until perhaps i decide to buy a portable amp.. which i'm currently convincing myself that i totally don't need]

so here's the thing.. besides the uneven coloring problem (i ordered opaque black and still not sure what cord to get?).. the only issue i've been trying to read about on head-fi is their very high sensitivity, especially on portables.

"The ES2 is entirely too sensitive for portable devices."
-catscratch from the thread: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=151304

should i be concerned about this?? my sony vaio pocket has a very clean sound output and no were near as much hiss as my former portable player the iriver ihp100..

Oct 20, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #137 of 200
I do not find them as sensitive as catscratch... revealing yes but not overly sensitive. They sound fine straight out of my iPod... better with the Hornet of course but I'd have to disagree that they are too sensitive for portable sources.

Oct 20, 2006 at 10:35 PM Post #138 of 200
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
check out the first few pages of this thread.

thanks for everything

let me repeat again, some guy here comparing to dt880(#64) and k701(#67) and some compare to hd650(#79). of course most guys comparing es2 to um2(#1, etc). although um2 is iem, not full size cans. how do they really compare to full size headphone?

one more question, how do they really compare to es1?(Chef Medeski asked before from post #22). anybody?

Oct 20, 2006 at 10:41 PM Post #139 of 200
I would put them more between the SR225 and PS-1... maybe some DT770 qualities but nothing like the HD650 and certainly not like the DT880 IMO.

Oct 20, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #140 of 200
Quote:

I do not find them as sensitive as catscratch... revealing yes but not overly sensitive. They sound fine straight out of my iPod... better with the Hornet of course but I'd have to disagree that they are too sensitive for portable sources.

wakeride74, you are my new hero.. that thread totally got me worried.. and thanks for posting those pics.. hardly any available for the es2's..

another thing.. i've been noticing that the es2's look quite a bit different from customs made by ue or sensaphonic.. the side that sticks out of your ear seems to be flat compared to other kinds of customs.. which appear to be more rounded off.. not sure though.. wonder if westone did this to make them look less like hearing aids?

Oct 20, 2006 at 11:23 PM Post #141 of 200
Quote:

I would put them more between the SR225 and PS-1... maybe some DT770 qualities but nothing like the HD650 and certainly not like the DT880 IMO.

thanks.

ps-1? or at least 225. wow, that should be good, no great iem. uggggh damn head-fi

Oct 20, 2006 at 11:59 PM Post #142 of 200
Quote:

Originally Posted by sanity8me
wakeride74, you are my new hero.. that thread totally got me worried.. and thanks for posting those pics.. hardly any available for the es2's..

another thing.. i've been noticing that the es2's look quite a bit different from customs made by ue or sensaphonic.. the side that sticks out of your ear seems to be flat compared to other kinds of customs.. which appear to be more rounded off.. not sure though.. wonder if westone did this to make them look less like hearing aids?

I thought that depended on whether you got custom art or not? If you get custom art, the side that sticks out is flat. If you didn't go for custom art, it'll look a bit like this:
DSC01784.jpg

UE's are quite flat too:
ue-10pro_3.jpg

Oct 21, 2006 at 12:24 AM Post #143 of 200
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
I thought that depended on whether you got custom art or not? If you get custom art, the side that sticks out is flat. If you didn't go for custom art, it'll look a bit like this:
DSC01784.jpg

UE's are quite flat too:
ue-10pro_3.jpg

that looks pretty flat too me.. and custom art ones seem to look more rounded off

Oct 23, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #145 of 200
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Wow! That's absolutely stunning!

Firstly, this pic is VERY reassuring about the quality of their custom artwork! Although I'm sure I'd eventually talk to Westone about how the final product would look for my custom art, at this point the uncertaintly in terms of the quality of what they may (or may not) be able to deliver has been removed from my purchase decision equation. In fact, this is nudging me much closer to pulling the trigger!

Yes, Westone's quality is very good and it feels great in my ears!
Rest assured that what you are getting is top notch quality stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
Nice and shiny:
GoVibe007-1.jpg

[Top-Gun]'s ES-2 from SGAudio.net ([Top-Gun] is no longer operational @ Sgheadphones.net)

That's not [Top-Gun]'s, it's Braxton's.. anyway if you guys want more exposure into that particular design, why not visit SGAudio.net (temp) and register as a member there?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee
Great Caesar's Ghost! Me a designer and I didn't think of coming up with my own artwork. Still, I went for the Candy Blue for "quiet cool".

Those glossy red-and-white TopGuns do make me wonder what design I might've come up with.....

As I've reiterated before, those are not [Top-Gun]'s, he just took some pics of it only..

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri
So yeah, i'll send it off and if he says it's going to be uneven, i might change colours to clear.. i'd really prefer not to though, i think clear iems look like hearing aids
plainface.gif

Who says that clear ain't cool?

er4p.jpg

Thanks to "Doug" or better known as powderhound_23 here for helping me out when there were problems with my ER4P moulds.
Great customer service and follow up and spectacular earmolds..

Like Peter Russell said, "This are offsprings of Icelandic and Cuban people - IceCubes"

biggrin.gif

My ear impressions were done @ Jaben Network in Singapore.
Great guy, Wilson was so nice to deal with, did a professionally done earmould which Westone Earmold Laboratories had no qualms of.
etysmile.gif

Oct 24, 2006 at 12:14 PM Post #146 of 200
I hate this thread
mad.gif

Was a happy camper with my decision on UM2/UM56 (which was at the top end of my budget) -and now I read this thread..
rolleyes.gif

As a matter of fact I hate you all
tongue.gif

Oct 25, 2006 at 5:34 AM Post #148 of 200
Ahh, it's still too soon -- but y'all just need a few more rounds of painful obsessive upgrades and you'll be perfect candidates for Jahn's "Curse You Headfi - Before-and-After..." thread.

Muahahahahaahhaaaaaa. (...couldn't resist...)

Can't say "sorry for your wallet" 'cause you must be lovin' the music.

Cheers.

Oct 25, 2006 at 5:39 AM Post #149 of 200
Quote:

Originally Posted by Psychoacoustist
Who says that clear ain't cool?

er4p.jpg

Like Peter Russell said, "This are offsprings of Icelandic and Cuban people - IceCubes"
biggrin.gif

etysmile.gif

[size=medium]COOL INDEED![/size]

(btw - must use American spelling in your tags -- colour doesn't work -- sorry)

Nov 6, 2006 at 3:56 PM Post #150 of 200
Must resist....

Oh what the heck, I've just booked myself in to get some impressions done.
biggrin.gif

ES2 cost £585 or so in the UK
blink.gif

Any UK head-fiers got experience of getting impressions done in the UK and then sent them over and got someone to order for them in the US?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back