Westone -- Cable noise/microphonics really that good?
May 17, 2011 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

karljs

Head-Fier
I'm thinking about picking up a set of Westone 4s, but am extraordinarily sensitive to microphonics. For some reason it makes me totally incapable of enjoying the music, even when sitting at a desk. I've read the reviews I can find (particularly the big multi IEM review thread) and most everyone seems to claim that the noise becomes a non-issue because of the over-ear cable design.

Is this true? I *really* don't want to spend the money only to discover that I can't enjoy them. I have a pair of Shure E4s which just collect dust because they are uncomfortable to wear over-ear and otherwise are un-listenable.

May 17, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #2 of 4
Are the microphonics of the W4s unnoticeable?  No, you can still hear them when no music is playing and you listen for it.  In quiet passages of classical music while you're exercising, you can still hear the microphonics.  Are they the best microphonics of the IEMs I've heard?  The Westones as a class beat the others, IMO, and the W4s are no exception.  They're definitely better than the Shure e4cs.  I may have an advantage, however, in that I "clip" the wires under the temples of my glasses which tends to dampen a lot of the noise transmitted by the cable.  If you get them, tell us your conclusions.

How do you find over the ear headphones from a microphonics perspective?

May 19, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #3 of 4
You can also use the cable cinch (the little round slider thingy) to secure the cables snuggly around the back of your head. This gets rid of just about all of the microphonics (of which there are little to begin with when dealing with Westone IEMs). If the Westone 4's have the same cable design as the UM3X (pretty sure they do), then microphonics should be almost nonexistent.

And in terms of comfort, nobody does it better than Westone 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 12, 2011 at 2:36 AM Post #4 of 4
So did you end up getting them? I'm a new owner of the UM3X and the microphonics can be noticeable at times but if you use the slider and secure it to the back of your head, you'll only hear the microphonics when you turn your head while no music is playing :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back