Westone 4R Amp
Oct 13, 2012 at 4:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

zluk

New Head-Fier
Hello,
I am currently using IPC 5 and Westone 4r
I want an amp that will improve the female vocal, soundstage, music, bass and clarity
Which amp should fit me?

Thanks!

Oct 13, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #2 of 39
Quote:
Hello,
I am currently using IPC 5 and Westone 4r
I want an amp that will improve the female vocal, soundstage, music, bass and clarity
Which amp should fit me?

Thanks!

The FiiO E11, Arrow 4G, are popular choices for the W4s. I especially like the E11s with them. But they are rather efficient, so if it wasn't for the fact that you're using an iPhone 5 (which has a rather high output impedance compared to the iPhone 4), I wouldn't recommend an amp at all.

Oct 13, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #3 of 39
Thanks for the reply!
By ipc 5 i meant ipod classic 5th gen
I need i need an amp because most review said ipc isnt enough
And e11 is an amp, but not my style of music.I

Oct 13, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #4 of 39
Quote:
Thanks for the reply!
By ipc 5 i meant ipod classic 5th gen
I need i need an amp because most review said ipc isnt enough

Can you quote some of these reviews? The least that could be said is that the iPod classic definitely has enough power to drive the W4s.

And e11 is an amp, but not my style of music.I

?

Oct 13, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #5 of 39
Arrow 4G sounds great but hiss with W4 but RSA shadow does not. The hiss is a big deal to me.
hope that help you a little?

Oct 13, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #8 of 39
Quote:
All of those review are in chinese tho, do you still want it?
I mean that w4r doesnt fit e11

I can read chinese, so no problem there. I've heard lots of portable amps with the W4s, but the E11s were the only ones that I would have stuck with.

Oct 13, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #11 of 39
Quote:
Here you go
http://m.uwants.com/index.php?action=thread&tid=12350281

Post #9 right? I don't agree with how he talks about the low end being dry, the E11 was slightly to the warm side (no eq boost). But apart from that, it seemed he was describing more about the actual sonic properties of the W4s, rather than how the E11 sounded. They do have forward mids, the treble is laid-back. These are all signs of transparency. And the whole part about the E11s not allowing to bring the W4s to their full potential. I feel he's more stuck on trying to color the phones rather than getting actual improvements. 

Back to the OP, I found that female vocals on the W4s were stupendous. Which tips are you using with them? The Westones are one of the those IEMs that varies a bit in sound from tip rolling.

Oct 13, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #13 of 39
Quote:
I am just using the orginal one, btw have you heard of zephone q7?

Stock tips? Like the Shure Grey flex, the bullets, the Comply foams, the tri-flanges?

Yes, I've heard of the q7. I lurk erji way too often to not see a thread on it every now and then.

Oct 13, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #15 of 39
Quote:
HAHAH i use comply, by the way youre from hk?

The complys soak up a bit too much treble for my liking. Try the Shure Olives or Sony Hybrids if you want that tighter bass, balance and clarity.

Nope, from the mainland. 
biggrin.gif
 My writing skills are horrible, so I can't type Chinese for the life of me. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back