Westone 4R Amp
Nov 12, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #32 of 39
Hi all, sorry to dig up a (possibly) old thread, and also side track it a little bit.  I'm looking to get a desktop amp - Hifiman EF5 or Schiit Lyr kind of amp.  How will the Westone 4r deal with these amps?  is there anything I should worry about as far as using a power source like those two?

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #33 of 39
  Hi all, sorry to dig up a (possibly) old thread, and also side track it a little bit.  I'm looking to get a desktop amp - Hifiman EF5 or Schiit Lyr kind of amp.  How will the Westone 4r deal with these amps?  is there anything I should worry about as far as using a power source like those two?

i think the w4r should be fine with them. are you specifically looking for a desktop amp or are you considering portable amps also.

i would highly reguard the Ibasso pb2 with the w4r. you can roll the opamps and buffers, its UBER powerful, 2500mw+2500mw, it can double as a portable and powerful enough for desktop use...its can also be used balanced. and the high gain on the amp balanced is +20 this amp can drive anything.it has about the same voltage swing as the rsa sr-71b. just saying..

Nov 13, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #34 of 39
I'm pretty open to what amps I use.  As of now, the amp is planned to be attached to my PC, so I never really thought about using a portable amp.  My main purpose for going with a desktop amp is because I might have a pretty decent deal on a EF-5.  If that deal falls though, I'll definitely take your advice and look into the iBasso pb2 and other portable amps.  

Apr 17, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #38 of 39
The FiiO E11, Arrow 4G, are popular choices for the W4s. I especially like the E11s with them. But they are rather efficient, so if it wasn't for the fact that you're using an iPhone 5 (which has a rather high output impedance compared to the iPhone 4), I wouldn't recommend an amp at all.

I'm currently pairing my W4 with an IPodTouch 4thGen... Do you I need an amp? What should I expect from it when I add it to my rig? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back