Westone 4 or save for Westone ES 5 ??
Mar 2, 2011 at 2:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

musicday

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys, i can't decid what to do: buy Westone 4 now or save for Westone ES5 another few months?
Can somebody who have W3 and W4 tell me the diffrence in sound quality? I had W3 for 2 years and i was quite happy with the sound, but decided to sell it. Does the extra money from W3 & W4 really worth to upgrade? I know that ES5 will sound much better beeing in another league, but it really worth the money?Does it sound better then HD 800?
Whats the life of IEM? After years can you send it back to be reshelled?
The problem is that i live in south London and i will like to buy them at the realy price $ 950 not more....
So 2 years back when i got my W3 from a USA Westone dealer, i had to pay costums wich i don't want to do it again.Your help, will be much apreciated.
Many thanks, Levi

Mar 2, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #2 of 10
In the past 3 months, I spent $1000 on iem's: um2,um3x, and the w4. Although I liked the um2, loved the um3x, and will probably love the w4(not here yet), I wish I just purchased the es5.

Mar 2, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #4 of 10

Quote:
I wish I just purchased the es5.

This ^.  If you think you will value the IEM journey and experience get the W4.  If you just want the best sound you can get and know you won't stop till you get it, ES5.  The price difference is worth it IMO. 

Mar 2, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #5 of 10
I recently compared the 3's, 4's, and Shure SE535 here. The 4's have a vastly different sound than the 3's, which I liked a lot better but they have noticeably less bass (since they lose the U curve of the 3's). The bass is definitely there, and is very good, but if that was your draw w/the 3's you'll likely be disappointed w/the 4's. The 4's have a LOT better mids & overall balance, and the soundstage is hugely improved over the 3's. I literally listened to the 4's for hours on end w/o fatigue, where the 3's tend to be a little too "in you face" for me but the sound is a lot of fun. Hope that helps.

I haven't heard the ES5's so can't comment on differences b/w them and the 4's.

Mar 2, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #6 of 10
As MikeATL says, if you really liked the W3 sound, you might not like the W4s.  The W4s are much more neutral than the W3s, with less bass, stronger mids and more extended highs.  The fit is identical to the W3s, so this isn't something you need to worry about.  The sound signature of the W4s is far closer to the UM3Xs than to the W3s.

If you like trying different phones and want to switch around now and then, get a universal over the custom.

Mar 2, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #7 of 10
As MikeATL says, if you really liked the W3 sound, you might not like the W4s. The W4s are much more neutral than the W3s, with less bass, stronger mids and more extended highs. The fit is identical to the W3s, so this isn't something you need to worry about. The sound signature of the W4s is far closer to the UM3Xs than to the W3s.

If you like trying different phones and want to switch around now and then, get a universal over the custom.

From what I was reading in the w4 appreciation thread, the w4 sounds like a um3x. Sounds like westone wouldn't need to make a um4x

Mar 3, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #8 of 10
^^ The W4 does NOT sound like the UM3X to these ears, the overall sound presentation is noticeably different, though not completely different. One thing they do share, however, is the remarkable non-fatiguing aspect after long listening sessions. However, I find the soundstage, mids and specially bass & treble different, the differences not always being that small. It's nearly 2 years since I owned the W3s, but what I remember of their sound sig mirrors word for word MikeATL's impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back