Westone 4 Cable Cut!! Please help!!
Sep 16, 2012 at 6:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

3rddimension

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone. Last year i made the investment and purchased a pair of westone 4. An x cut both the cables of my earphones for revenge before disappearing!!!! What is my best option here?? I don't wanna try to mold them myself. I live in greece. Should i send them back to westone for repair? Or a local electrician would do just fine? I am sorry if i sound like a complete noop. I am :)

Sep 16, 2012 at 7:12 AM Post #2 of 15
Not sure if the westone guarantee would cover something like that.  If all else fails you could try sending them to btg-audio in the states and have them do something like this :-

http://www.btg-audio.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=162015045

Quite busy atm though so may take a while.

Cheers

Sep 16, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #4 of 15
I highly recommend BTG audio.

Sep 16, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #6 of 15
You could bring them into a stereo repair shop. You'll probably need to get a new cable though.
Check out some of the DIY re-cabling threads here to see what it entails.

Sep 16, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #8 of 15
Nice, just beware that there is a note on the site saying he's a little behind so may take longer than normal.

Good luck:)

Sep 16, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #9 of 15
I ve reading alot of reviews and came across toxic cables. Silver cables are great for my kind of listening (trance etc) Can you please recommend the appropriate cable for westone 4? I m getting a little lost :) Thanks again for your help :) :)

Sep 16, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #10 of 15
I'd stay with BTG Audio and the Sunrise cable.  Professional, clean work at a fair and affordable price.  You can always decide to go with a 'boutique' cable at a later date after BTG performs the removable cable mod but his Sunrise cable is excellently made.

He has performed the removable cable mod on a DBA-02 for me.  You can read about it here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/601360/universals-modded-with-removable-cables-fischer-audio-dba-02-brainwavz-b2-um3x-sleek-audio
As you can see, several others used him to do the same thing for other IEM's.

edit: you can see someone's W4 mod on page 3 of that thread.

Sep 20, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #11 of 15
The modded W4 that davidcotton linked to above was my W4.  I sent them into Brian to have removable sockets installed on and he did a fantastic job.  While the stock Westone one cable was fine, I prefer using his Sunrise cable with all my IEMs (with removable sockets).  I highly recommend BTG-Audio to perform the mod.. as well as his very affordable, high quality Sunrise IEM cable

Sep 20, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #12 of 15
Another option would be to get them remolded into customs, but for the money, I'd rather go with the options listed above. Another option is to explain your story to Westone, and they'll likely offer you a new pair at a discounted rate. I doubt they'll offer to repair yours. 

Sep 21, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
Another option would be to get them remolded into customs, but for the money, I'd rather go with the options listed above. Another option is to explain your story to Westone, and they'll likely offer you a new pair at a discounted rate. I doubt they'll offer to repair yours. 

Thanks for the nice comments guys.

I believe that westone can replace the cables for $40 if I'm not mistaken? I thought I read somewhere that they can do that. Just another option for all the Westone users.

Sep 21, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the nice comments guys.

I believe that westone can replace the cables for $40 if I'm not mistaken? I thought I read somewhere that they can do that. Just another option for all the Westone users.

They will recable the stock cables for $40? Or is that for replacement cables for the W4R? If they can replace the cables for your Westone 4 (non-detachable cable) for $40, then that's probably a really good option as well. Most companies charge $30 just for their customs cable, so that's an awesome deal if so. 

Sep 21, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

They will recable the stock cables for $40? Or is that for replacement cables for the W4R? If they can replace the cables for your Westone 4 (non-detachable cable) for $40, then that's probably a really good option as well. Most companies charge $30 just for their customs cable, so that's an awesome deal if so. 

It's definitely not a W4r mod, but they can replace the cable for $40~. Again, don't quote me, but I thought I saw it somewhere. I think I may have read, they don't like doing it, but they do have it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back