Westone 3 - You asked for it, we listened !
Mar 14, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #1,981 of 2,524
Being mid-March, I'd say we're now at the one-year anniversary of the first release date advertised in this thread. How about a ''year in review" series? I'll kick it off with a couple no-brainers.

Most Prescient: trose49 --Read his post #24 way back in Jan 07. My hero of cynical realism!

Least Prescient: Powderhound --ref post #56. Not entirely his fault though, I'm sure...

Most Helpful: Flavio, who as hinted in post #1975 has been generously offering substitute quality actualware at nice discounts to those with preorders. Thank you Flavio for getting me into a set of UM2 when I bailed last May! I haven't looked back...

Mar 14, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #1,982 of 2,524
After waiting so long, I figure the 3 will probably be released shortly after I finally break down and buy something else...
rolleyes.gif
Something like the whole raining right after you wash your car thing...

So for everyones benefit
wink.gif
, I broke down and bought some UM2's from Flavio yesterday.
biggrin.gif
I just wanted to come and say... everyone, you are welcome. and I certainly look forward to having one of those white westone boxes in my hands soon as well...

Mar 14, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #1,983 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyByNight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Being mid-March, I'd say we're now at the one-year anniversary of the first release date advertised in this thread. How about a ''year in review" series? I'll kick it off with a couple no-brainers.

Great idea!
rolleyes.gif

I start...
Posted 04-17-2007, 06:28 PM
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=xx-large]T Minus 34 Days[/size]

AKA May 21st
wink.gif

Mar 14, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #1,984 of 2,524
Wait!, you should be happy Krmathis, with the exchange rates, these are getting cheaper by the day for you europeans. The longer the delay the better you you, no?

See, there's always a silver lining

Mar 14, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #1,985 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait!, you should be happy Krmathis, with the exchange rates, these are getting cheaper by the day for you europeans. The longer the delay the better you you, no?

True! The USD have not been as weak against our currency since 1981 (or something).
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 15, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #1,986 of 2,524
Man, it's just unbelievable that it could take this long. My only take would be that the first units didn't come out as expected, and along the way, they ran into funding problems to keep the project rolling. Mind you, this is pure speculation, and just MO.

But I compare it to Mazda announcing the availability of pre-ordering the new and then unproduced RX-8 in January of 2003. I ordered then because I just had to have the new rotary engined Mazda sports car as soon as it was available. There was an RX-8 forum long before the cars rolled off the line in Japan. Mazda passed it's release date. People who placed pre-orders were getting very antsy. There was some footage on the forum of the first cars being driven off the boat from Japan when they finally arrived on US shores. Quite a few cars were delivered to dealers for sale to the general public before the pre-order cars arrived, which really irked alot of those who had pre-ordered months earlier (which required deposit). But to get to the point, Mazda had production RX-8s (built in Japan) in the US less than 7 months after announcing pre-orders. I had mine by July 31, 2003 (2004 model).

It's just seems so... unimaginable I guess... that Mazda could do something like the RX-8 in 7 months, but a US company can't make something as small as a pair of IEMs reality well over a year after showing demo units and announcing a pending release. Who could possibly imagine why... except Westone... and they're just totally mute on the subject. Just... weird, really.

But never the less... I have my pre-order in. And I'll wait as long as it takes. I just hope it actually occurs at some point. Preferably before 2009.
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2008 at 11:29 AM Post #1,987 of 2,524
There was something similar with ordered Volvo C30s. And then those ordered from dealerships took a bit longer because of unexpected demand and then the fixing of some issues, but it still didn't take a year.

Besides things in testing going wrong, I agree there must have been some funding problems or some other internal strife in the company.

Why else would Westone, a company known for being active and out there with the customer, be so silent? It's because what is usually allowed to be discussed is no longer allowed.

And the people who make those policies don't understand how it hurts the image they've set forward as being very interactive with customers.

Mar 16, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #1,988 of 2,524
Who knows, maybe plainsong is right...but chances are even that Westone has decided the rolling predicted-release-date drama has hurt the cause even more, and will not now say a word until the product is 100% certain ready for mass-produced prime time. I would not blame them if this were the case.

I see that Westone is not on the list of exhibiting vendors at Can Jam 08. A notable absence and a shame--they make plenty other great products. But again, perhaps understandable.

Mar 16, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #1,989 of 2,524
I'm kinda hoping and wondering... since Westone quoting any release date for the 3s at this point would be met with a high degree of skepticism by pretty much everyone, Westone won't be announcing any future release date, and the 3s will just start showing up at dealers when (if ever?) they're finally in production and released.

Mar 17, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #1,990 of 2,524
But as FlybyNight pointed out, usually they attend big head-fi meets, and they are notably absent from CanJam. It sounds like a sea change in how they do things, and how the Westone 3's have factored into it, only they know.

Maybe the Westone 3 is just vaporware at this point, but you'd think they would notify their resellers if that was the case.

And the strangest thing of all, isn't this a paid-for thread, and won't it time out of they don't keep paying for it? I wonder why they keep it open.

Mar 18, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #1,991 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But as FlybyNight pointed out, usually they attend big head-fi meets, and they are notably absent from CanJam. It sounds like a sea change in how they do things, and how the Westone 3's have factored into it, only they know.

Maybe the Westone 3 is just vaporware at this point, but you'd think they would notify their resellers if that was the case.

And the strangest thing of all, isn't this a paid-for thread, and won't it time out of they don't keep paying for it? I wonder why they keep it open.

I wouldn't read anything into the fact that they aren't on the CanJam list. We may have managed to miss them when sending out invites. I don't know that for sure at the moment.

Mar 18, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #1,992 of 2,524
maybe someone at westone has been reading this thread and has come to the conclusion that they had enough,

personaly, if my product was so behind, i would stop all publicity and wait for the product to actually reach the manufacturing part of the life cycle before i start shouting about it,

Mar 19, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #1,994 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by V-Duh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone noticed the "Westone 3" add on Westone's website before?
It's here: Personal listening earphones & earpieces :: Westone
I realize this doesn't mean much but I don't remember seeing it previously.

It was there months before. I think you missed it.

Mar 24, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #1,995 of 2,524
This may not be the proper forum for this but I'm almost at the end of my options. Anyone in here pre-order from Marcopolo (either from website marcopolo.ca or his ebay auctions)? I have been emailing him at various addresses and have been unable to get a refund for my pre-order. Anyone else have any luck? PM me please.

*EDIT* Promptly received a response to this...got resolved pretty quickly after I posted this :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back