Westone 3 - You asked for it, we listened !
Sep 11, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #1,411 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prozakk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And a P.H.D. in B.S. I presume?

I wouldn't consider my actual life experience to be b.s.

Sep 11, 2007 at 9:25 AM Post #1,413 of 2,524
Hopefully when these finally turn up they will live up to expectation, otherwise there's goin to be a lot of disapointed people having waited so long to get them.

Me being one of them
frown.gif

Sep 13, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #1,418 of 2,524
*wonders when Prozakk will get the joke*

(As to Oakley's patent -- IANAL, but as I understand it, that's only as it pertains to eyewear, and even that claim is dubious. The word "Unobtainium" has been in general use in the scientific and engineering community for a very long time.)

Sep 13, 2007 at 12:28 PM Post #1,422 of 2,524
Three options come to mind:
1) Westone's ES2. A fantastic custom IEM
2) UE10pro. Many, many comments on this forum about this reference level custom IEM
3) UE11pro. New quad driver custom IEM. Opinions are still rolling in on this one. Some like the bass, others don't. Generally seems to be well received if you like a bit of warmth to your sound. I should know in a couple of weeks.
cool.gif

Sep 14, 2007 at 6:04 AM Post #1,423 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by digihead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Three options come to mind:
1) Westone's ES2. A fantastic custom IEM
2) UE10pro. Many, many comments on this forum about this reference level custom IEM
3) UE11pro. New quad driver custom IEM. Opinions are still rolling in on this one. Some like the bass, others don't. Generally seems to be well received if you like a bit of warmth to your sound. I should know in a couple of weeks.
cool.gif

Custom IEMs? I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. He said comparable sound and price. To the original poster, the most obvious alternatives matching your criteria are the Shure E500/530 and Ultimate Ears triple.fi 10 Pro. Both are available for under $400 and feature triple-driver technology. Of course, if you do want to spend more money, then any of the above custom IEMs will surely dazzle you. But really, we're talking a thousand dollars for the UE customs, and there is such a thing as the rate of diminishing returns.

A lot depends on the type of music you primarily listen to and how you like your sound. Because in some instances, there are less expensive phones that will get you "there" (or at least very close). What other headphones (sound signatures) have you tried and liked?

Sep 14, 2007 at 11:08 AM Post #1,424 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexter Morgan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Custom IEMs? I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. He said comparable sound and price. To the original poster, the most obvious alternatives matching your criteria are the Shure E500/530 and Ultimate Ears triple.fi 10 Pro. Both are available for under $400 and feature triple-driver technology. Of course, if you do want to spend more money, then any of the above custom IEMs will surely dazzle you. But really, we're talking a thousand dollars for the UE customs, and there is such a thing as the rate of diminishing returns.

A lot depends on the type of music you primarily listen to and how you like your sound. Because in some instances, there are less expensive phones that will get you "there" (or at least very close). What other headphones (sound signatures) have you tried and liked?

Thanks for informative reply!

I listen to all kind of mucis and have various headphones, here is pasted list of my equipment from my profile:

Headphone Inventory:
Sennheiser HD-600, HD-25SP, MX-500; Westone UM2 (sold, waiting for W3); Beyerdynamic DT-770/250; V-Moda Remix M-Class; JVC Marshmallow

Headphone Amp Inventory:
Meier-Audio Corda HeadFIVE; M-Audio Transit USB; XIN SuperMini-IV; Focusrite Saffire (this is not a dedicated stand-alone amplifier, but portable Firewire audio recording interface with quite good internal built-in amplifier), Creative Audigy 2 Platinum

Source Inventory:
Prestigio Multimedia Portable Player MPP-301, iPod Shuffle 1GB, Sony Discman D-223 (1bit DAC with line-out); FSC Pocket Loox 720 (with 4 GB CF), NEX ia (CF portable MP3 player), Desktop PC with Audigy 2 Platinum, Notebook Centrino with M-Audio Transit USB

Music Preferences:
Anything done with creativity and passion, which is also well produced.

To be more specific -- my favorite music is melodic rock/metal and "juicy" etno (I love most of the Buddha Bar compilations)...

I prefer DT-770 over HD-600. I didn't find UM2 to be really good to my ears (were not bad either!)... I sold my UM2 some months ago because I expected Westone 3 to arrive sooner - to BUY them... but now this long wait, I am not sure I'd still like to wait... will it come out in a month or a year? Probably nobody knows, not officially anyway... but producer could give us a hint, aye? (I doubt they will miss the date again!)

I am planning to buy iBasso D1 and sell Meier-Audio Corda HeadFIVE and M-AUDIO Transit USB because I've bought Prestigio Multimedia Portable Player MPP-301, which has digital coaxial (S/PDIF) audio OUTPUT, so I'd like an amp with coaxial INPUT...

So, any new or more suitable recomendations for new headphones?

Sep 14, 2007 at 1:02 PM Post #1,425 of 2,524
Quite seriously, you may want to give the Shure E500/E530s a try. They're on the pricey end of non-custom IEMs (around $400), but they do sound great, with decent bass and midrange, something that's difficult to get in an IEM. I finally abandoned the Ety bandwagon after getting the Shures.

I've seen comments from others on the forum that in a A/B tests at meets, the Shures are comparable to the Westone 3s, not a huge difference between the two.

The Prestigio looks pretty neat. If only it played FLAC files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back