Westone 3 - You asked for it, we listened !
Apr 25, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #841 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexter Morgan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You've made that comment several times, and another reviewer stated the W3 was a more refined version of the UM2, with more similarities than differences. I thought I'd reference another review from Kugino, who attended MacWorld months ago and auditioned the W3, only to state quite the opposite. These are two seemingly different impressions, so I thought it appropriate to reference Kugino's opinion here. This was what he posted:

"i've posted elsewhere, but i'll also post in this thread. i had a chance to listen to the 3 at macworld. i honestly was not expecting much since i am not a big UM2 fan...

but the 3 is NOTHING like the UM2, as has been mentioned in this thread. so for those of you who like the UM2, you might not be that happy with the 3 because they sound very different. IMO, the UM2 has way overdone bass...boomy and not enjoyable. it also masks the detail and the midrange that i think is there, just not audible b/c of the bass. the 3, on the other hand, has a beautiful midrange and it sounds much more even across the frequency spectrum. nice slamming bass that goes low enough...if you want UM2 bass you'll have to bump up the EQ.

i don't see the 3 as a "step up" from the UM2 in terms of being a more refined UM2...it's a totally different (thank goodness) IEM altogether, nothing like its sibling. yes, i know i'm being a bit harsh on the UM2...i'm just not a big fan. but i really really like the 3 and would seriously think about purchasing it had i not already bought a custom IEM. i just want to warn the UM2 fans out there that they could be disappointed with the 3 b/c it's not like the UM2...but for those of you who don't really like the UM2, the 3 is a westone you might really like."

just goes to show how different interpretations can be, even though we're both hearing the same thing
wink.gif
i'll stand by my statement though. it's not like the 3 vs e500, where both have their own unique sound signature. the um2 and 3 share many more similarities than they do differences imo.

on the um2 vs 3:

is the bass the same?
no, not exactly. the bass on the 3 is tighter..not as boomy and loose as it is on the um2. some might get the impression the um2 has more bass because of this boominess, but from my listening session..both seem to have the same amount of bass as well as low end extension. the overall character of the bass is still the same.

how about the mids?
tighten up bass and reduce boominess, and details in the mids suddenly become easier to pick out
wink.gif
i do agree that the mids on the 3's are better than the um2's...they're quite good actually.

and the treble?
the treble is about the same. i think that bit of sibilance is also present on the um2's..but it is more noticable on the 3's, since the rest of the frequency response is more refined and does not mask it as well.

hopefully i'm not just adding to the confusion, and you're getting a clearer picture of the differences (or similarities, depending on how you look at it
wink.gif
).

Apr 26, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #843 of 2,524
I for one am looking forward to the high end on these phones being more than usual on headphones. my biggest complaint with all headphones has been that they almost never have good high end. it makes things more comfortable to listen to for long times (though a well mixed recording shouldn't have problems anyway), but make things sound unnatural and dead: a typical recorded sound.

also, just from a musician's standpoint and not trying to be rude, but those who talked about a dip around 2 kHz: many headphones have a spike there to simulate the punch that air from speakers gets, so perhaps what you hear as a dip is more neutrality. i find most headphones with that spike are easier to listen to at low/safe/long-term volume, but get weird sounding at higher volume levels. i'm not real experienced in iems outside of shures since that's what one of my good friends gets all the time, maybe others really are neutral though, and the 3s have a dip.

i'm hoping that these comments mean the 3s will have that real-sounding treble and a good amount of bass and un-tampered mids. i hoped the e500s would be this, but it seems to me that they're phones made for easy listening put into an iem line so they could slap a high price on them.

Apr 26, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #844 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by vo328 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do the Westone3s respond to being amped? Some IEMs don't really respond well, others benefit. How about this one?

If the Westone 3's are anything like the UM1, then I'd say that they would benefit pretty well being hooked up to a portable amp. Atleast my UM1's currently do...

Apr 27, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #845 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by firefox360 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the Westone 3's are anything like the UM1, then I'd say that they would benefit pretty well being hooked up to a portable amp. Atleast my UM1's currently do...

As stated previously in this thread: P0wderh0und has tested the 3 with the Tomahawk amp and stated that it did improve the sound, enough so that he recommended adding an amp. Though he hasn't tested any other amps yet, and he said that even without an amp the 3 still "smoked" the UM2.

Apr 27, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #846 of 2,524
I do have to say that the reports of a midrange recession have me more than a little concerned. It would be a bummer to have waited all this time only to sell 'em and have to go custom after all
frown.gif

Apr 27, 2007 at 7:00 AM Post #847 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trager /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do have to say that the reports of a midrange recession have me more than a little concerned. It would be a bummer to have waited all this time only to sell 'em and have to go custom after all
frown.gif

what? where did u read the mids are recessed? i don't think anyone said that

Apr 27, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #848 of 2,524
their MAYBE a small dip around 2,5 - 4khz is stated in an impression. BUT i think this really depends on someones ears....

I haven´t heard the westone 3 , but i think the ears of people differ enough to say this is really personal... I wouldn´t think that much about it right now...

Recessed is such a "mean" word , but most ppl talk about: warm mids , that means: more low mids then high mids.

Some will think the higher mids are recessed , others will write: low mids overpowerd.

So i think its a matter of personal taste & personal listening.

Apr 27, 2007 at 6:36 PM Post #849 of 2,524
Quote:

frown.gif

Seems like this contradicts everything I have read about them so far. Seems like I keep seeing that the midrange is incredible.

Apr 27, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #850 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by Up High! /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I for one am looking forward to the high end on these phones being more than usual on headphones. my biggest complaint with all headphones has been that they almost never have good high end. it makes things more comfortable to listen to for long times (though a well mixed recording shouldn't have problems anyway), but make things sound unnatural and dead: a typical recorded sound.

also, just from a musician's standpoint and not trying to be rude, but those who talked about a dip around 2 kHz: many headphones have a spike there to simulate the punch that air from speakers gets, so perhaps what you hear as a dip is more neutrality. i find most headphones with that spike are easier to listen to at low/safe/long-term volume, but get weird sounding at higher volume levels. i'm not real experienced in iems outside of shures since that's what one of my good friends gets all the time, maybe others really are neutral though, and the 3s have a dip.

i'm hoping that these comments mean the 3s will have that real-sounding treble and a good amount of bass and un-tampered mids. i hoped the e500s would be this, but it seems to me that they're phones made for easy listening put into an iem line so they could slap a high price on them.

Sounds like you're more interested in a pair of Ety ER4S.

Apr 28, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #851 of 2,524
Quote:

frown.gif

Er.. you sure you didn't mess the 3's up with Triple.Fi's?

Apr 28, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #852 of 2,524
Yeah, I did mean the Westone 3s. I think it's the thread called "A Couple Hours with the Westone 3s" or something like that, where the OP actually seemed to imply that the upper mids on the W3s were a bit lacking.

Apr 28, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #853 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by digihead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like you're more interested in a pair of Ety ER4S.

eh, i tried them the other day, no good. i could see how what i said could be read that way, but i need my bass. groove is all about the bass, but a real sound is all about the high end. like many people have said, i hope the 3 will be between the ER4s and the e500. i was just trying to put in another view in about the high end and midrange because it looked like a lot of overreacting was happening.

i also wanted to point out the fact that a "live" sound is all dependent on an actual neutral phone. that doesn't mean a flat frequency reproduction. i find that especially for low volumes the low end and high end should be up a bit, with the mids cut down a little. i think whatever the newest grados are called do this, and it sounds like the westones are doing it too, which i'm happy about.

Apr 29, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #855 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by ojyarumaru /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Westones are great. My friend has them.

So.....uh....define great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back