Westone 3 VS RE0
Jul 14, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #16 of 24

Quote:
I really like my RE0s. The bass is very light to be considered neutral, but paired with a cheap FiiO E5 with bass boost on, they are actually amazing. Throw in the fact that the combo is less than $100!

But next to my Westone 3s, no comparison. The Westone 3s are the better IEM. The bass is no comparison. The mids are slightly better on the RE0s and the treble goes to the W3s. Overall, the Westone 3's win for a much better presentation, clarity, and sound stage. They were my favourites until Shure improved on the SE530s with the SE535s.

FWIW, I've also owned: IE8s, ER-4P/S, UE10s and have heard the Monster Coppers/MD, and SM3. I would rank them:

Shure SE535
Westone 3
SM3
RE0
all the rest

Wow, Westone 3 over the SM3's??

Jul 14, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #21 of 24
I'm one of those people that never liked RE0. They simply never sounded very good to me...defective?? I don't think so. I preferred the ER4 over RE0. The W3 sound is new to me and I like it a lot. Comfort level for me with W3 is very high approaching PFE in that regard but with a much "larger" sound.

Jul 14, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #22 of 24
It's RE0 over Westone 3 for me. I find the mids and treble on the RE0 to be much better sounding - much more balanced and coherent. Westone 3 has richer, more present bass though, whereas RE0 is a bit lacking down there sometimes if you listen to dance, trance, hip-hop, rap and other such music genres for which powerful bass is important. Also, RE0 needs a good source and amp to sound its best, although it does sound acceptable unamped.

If you want better all around performance than RE0, consider the RE252.

Jul 16, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #23 of 24
Now and then I switch out of one of my other IEMs to the W3 and really think, "Wow, these are bassy."  One time, I thought they were muffled (coming from a long session with the Monster Turbine Pro Copper).  But, on another day, I'll find them so wonderful and matched to my music.  Of course, since no IEM is perfect, there's great reason to have a selection match the mood you're in at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back