Westone 3 VS 4
Apr 6, 2011 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

bendead

New Head-Fier
Hi everybody. I'm a proud owner of the Westone 3, I love the deep and punch bass, with the kick-ass trembles with a penguin peppermint amp

Form what i read from the official website the W4 has 4 drivers. does it mean double the power on the bass or separate like 10-50/50-100 frequencies ?

Thanks in advance

Ben

Apr 6, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #2 of 19
W4 has less bass and the treble is less crisp but most think the quality of both is improved.  W4 is also less efficient.  I still prefer the W3 but many (or most) say they prefer the W4 for the more audiophile balanced presentation.

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #3 of 19
Having both the W3 and W4, I can verify that the W4 has less bass than the W3, by quite a noticeable margin--you don't have to listen carefully for the difference.  Since the W4s are a bit more neutral, live recordings sound a bit more live.

Apr 13, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #5 of 19

[size=medium]
i've had the opportunity to borrow westone 3 from a friend for a few months and now i bought the westone 4. if you already have the Westone 3, don't worry about upgrading to westone 4, it's not worth it. consider the ES5 instead :wink:
[/size]

Apr 20, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #6 of 19
Since there is no best universal IEM but only what suits you the best. I would like a competitor of the W3 with the same amount, but sharper and deeper bass and also more mid.

I have a Nano 6G, so no EQ, but it's a girl killer in Thailand on watch mount. I can have T3D or RSA Shadow, no problem

My budget is around 6-700$ for an universal IEM.

Thanks

Apr 20, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #7 of 19

Quote:
Since there is no best universal IEM but only what suits you the best. I would like a competitor of the W3 with the same amount, but sharper and deeper bass and also more mid.

I have a Nano 6G, so no EQ, but it's a girl killer in Thailand on watch mount. I can have T3D or RSA Shadow, no problem

Thanks

Not even aware of a universal that high up the price range but custom JH5 fits that description quite well.  (I currently own both JH5 and W3).  The JH5 is $399 plus whatever impressions cost.  Mine were $25.  JH5 is extreemly efficient and goes very loud so no amp needed.

Apr 21, 2011 at 5:17 AM Post #9 of 19

Quote:
Not even aware of a universal that high up the price range but custom JH5 fits that description quite well.  (I currently own both JH5 and W3).  The JH5 is $399 plus whatever impressions cost.  Mine were $25.  JH5 is extreemly efficient and goes very loud so no amp needed.

This is a quote form SolidVictory who lives in New York :

"Well, it seems like this process is going to take longer than I thought. I received my JH-16's back from a second refit yesterday (which was supposed to be a complete re-mold from the ground up, but I guess JH does not like doing that until they've exhausted all other options). It appears they just simply took off the resin coating which was on the tip and then cut the tip shorter. This led to an uncomfortable fit for me, I lost all of the "snug" feeling on the right IEM and it simply felt loose in my ear. Also, soundstage decreased significantly on the right IEM.

I asked JH why they did not rebuild the IEM from the ground up when my audiologist specifically instructed so with my new ear impressions. They replied saying that a re-mold is usually a last resort. Well, I went back to my audiologist today and he is sending them in again and this time speaking on the phone with JH to make sure they do a re-mold, not just an adjustment that does not work for me regardless."

I'm living on a small island in Thailand, the only decent audiologist is in bangkok "150$ go-around trip" and packages take long time to be delivered.

So if I want a JH5, and i am as lucky as this member, it will cost me the price of a JH16 pro and take about 3-4 month...

If i could buy the JH16 Pro in universal IEM configuration, i would have bought it already.

Ben

Apr 21, 2011 at 7:20 AM Post #10 of 19

Thanks

You might consider the dynamic driver JVC ha-fx700. Deeper and more detailed bass than the W3 and has clearer mids and similar treble IMO.

Apr 21, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #14 of 19
An amp isn't required. The JVC's aren't as sensitive as the W3, so you will have to use more volume with them. My amp experience is limited, so I don't know synergy wise how those will match up. I plan on trying the Fiio E11 with them when it comes out next month.

Apr 21, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #15 of 19

Quote:
An amp isn't required. The JVC's aren't as sensitive as the W3, so you will have to use more volume with them. My amp experience is limited, so I don't know synergy wise how those will match up. I plan on trying the Fiio E11 with them when it comes out next month.

My nano 6G with lossless is not so good after 75-80% volume and one T3D is one the way. But like all cheap amp, I am expecting nothing more than an increase of the volume without distortion.
Nothing like the headphone out of my Onkyo 875 sadly.

I would love to see my nano having a digital line out and a great quality DAC/AMP smaller than the T3, but I'm dreaming...

What about the hiss on the fx700 ? On calm piano music it's kinda boring on the W3.

Ben

Users who are viewing this thread

Back