Westone 3 Impressions Thread
Jul 3, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #1,787 of 2,224
Hi,

Looking to purchase the Westone 3. I understand the Westone 3 are rather efficient IEM's, but from your experience, do you guys think that a portable amp would benefit them, more specifically, a Fiio E12? I would be running them from an iPod Touch 4G.

Thanks in advance!  

These don't need an amp and when ampd there is practically no difference.

Aug 2, 2013 at 4:35 AM Post #1,789 of 2,224
Guys, where can I buy? the biggest "foam tips" that were included Weston 3, see the photo (marked in black) I need three pairs of large! others I do not fit! can be black because the gaps in time stonyavyatsya yellow!! :)

Aug 2, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #1,790 of 2,224
Guys, where can I buy? the biggest "foam tips" that were included Weston 3, see the photo (marked in black) I need three pairs of large! others I do not fit! can be black because the gaps in time stonyavyatsya yellow!! :)

Check Comply foam:

http://www.complyfoam.com/

eBay:

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?clk_rvr_id=506308885056&_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=comply+foam&rt=nc

Aug 2, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #1,791 of 2,224
Quote:
Guys, where can I buy? the biggest "foam tips" that were included Weston 3, see the photo (marked in black) I need three pairs of large! others I do not fit! can be black because the gaps in time stonyavyatsya yellow!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Have you asked on http://www.westone.com ?

Aug 4, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #1,792 of 2,224
Thank you friends for the links, this is the only reinforcement headphones that I liked, I had ue900, triple fi10, i listen etymotic 4 and I chose westone.:)

Aug 11, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #1,793 of 2,224
Quote:
I'm a W3 owner for about 4 years already. All along I was using iDevices as my source to pair with my W3. 
Currently pairing it with iPhone 4S. I was wondering if there is any improvements to be made ? Change source ? Add dac/amp ? Or am I better off saving the money for desktop rig ? :D

HI, i'm having the same thoughts, had mine about the same time.

I have a iphone 5, all i listen to is house, techo, dance stuff which is obviously bassy and the W3's are nicely suited to it.  However the iPhone 5 sound is very flat so a bit of boost on the low frequency end I think would help.

Was thinking about getting a Digizoid ZO2.3 for some extra bass.

Sep 23, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #1,794 of 2,224
Great thread (sorry for the kicker), i'm enjoying my w3's (limited, gold) for almost a year now and i'm very happy! The only thing is... in my opinion sometimes it lack fullness of bass... it's as simple as that. The bass is there.. but is sounds a bit 'clinical' (if thats the right word for it)... I noticed this whith modern electronic music (like house, dubstep) and instrumental music where there simply is more bass quantity (like big band). Will an amp help on this matter? 

Sep 24, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #1,796 of 2,224
Okay, I have a tremendous shocking discovery ... I have so far ALWAYS listen to my music collection through my laptop (streaming from my NAS). There is declared everywhere that no amplifier was needed for the W3's and I did not know better for a sound card of a laptop computer is enough to drive these earbuds. I have rarely felt so deceived (by myself)... As a result of pure chance I just wanted to hear something that was sent to me on my Samsung Galaxy S3 and WOW there it was, what a sound! A totally different dimension. So I have for a year despairingly searched for what makes the W3's so "special"... And now it's there, it is indeed the hardware! I'm very happy!

The first on my wish list now, is a decent DAC / AMP, do you have any suggestions?

Sorry for this sentimental post :)

Sep 24, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #1,797 of 2,224
  Okay, I have a tremendous shocking discovery ... I have so far ALWAYS listen to my music collection through my laptop (streaming from my NAS). There is declared everywhere that no amplifier was needed for the W3's and I did not know better for a sound card of a laptop computer is enough to drive these earbuds. I have rarely felt so deceived (by myself)... As a result of pure chance I just wanted to hear something that was sent to me on my Samsung Galaxy S3 and WOW there it was, what a sound! A totally different dimension. So I have for a year despairingly searched for what makes the W3's so "special"... And now it's there, it is indeed the hardware! I'm very happy!

The first on my wish list now, is a decent DAC / AMP, do you have any suggestions?

Sorry for this sentimental post :)

Just so you know.....an amp does very little to help the W3 since (as you found out) it is very efficient.  The Ibasso T3 is a very decent amp and I can hardly tell any difference whatsoever.  To the point where I'm not sure it's worth carrying the extra bulk around.  Just saying....

Are you using the largest foam tips?  I think they provide the best sound with W3 and should blow your head off bass and efficiency-wise with no distortion whatsoever.

Sep 24, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #1,799 of 2,224

Just so you know.....an amp does very little to help the W3 since (as you found out) it is very efficient.  The Ibasso T3 is a very decent amp and I can hardly tell any difference whatsoever.  To the point where I'm not sure it's worth carrying the extra bulk around.  Just saying....

Are you using the largest foam tips?  I think they provide the best sound with W3 and should blow your head off bass and efficiency-wise with no distortion whatsoever.

Thanks for your comment! I was referring to a DAC to get around my brackish soundcard from my laptop so it won't ruin my listening experience. The soundcard is the problem and I need to fix this first.

FiiO has nice integrated solutions. The E09K to start so I could expand with the ALPS-E17 later. What are your thoughts on that?

I switch between orange and red tips, red fits better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back