Westone 3 Impressions Thread
Feb 18, 2009 at 12:36 PM Post #1,381 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Almost 3 months later and I still love my Westone 3.

X4 or whatever .. I didnt count thats just a random number
tongue.gif
I still love them as much or more than when I got them, but they are goibng on the chopping block shortly as i'm going down the ES3X route. So i'm ordering next fortnight and then selling W3 when they arriive. no point keeping 2 such similar IEM's around when the W3 could help offset the $850 + impressions cost of the ES3X. I see no point collecting IEM's if you are only using one mainly. I was still using tyhe SE530 with UM56 occasionally until the curse of the SE530 struck and I RMA'd them a couple of weeks ago. gonna sell them cheap too I think. when they send me a new set anyway

the reason the UM56 are such great tips is that they take the earcanal largely out of the equation as well as providing a longer tube and distance to the eardrum from the driver

Feb 18, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #1,382 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by MythNoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nah bail on the W3's and get yourself a real pair of IEM's some IE8's youll be so glad you did good luck pal

biggrin.gif
this made me lol

Feb 18, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #1,383 of 2,224
I've just got a pair of Westone 3's and have been listening to them for a week or so. It's my first delve into using IEM's since I've not been a fan. However, curiosity got me and I decided to buy a decent pair.

I also got an Emmeline Mustang P-51 to go with it.

I'm enjoying myself. I'm getting a nice and impressive sound. Full and clean with good performance across the entire sound spectrum, though there are definite tradeoffs for portability.

- the sound is easily affected by movement. Don't eat, swallow salive or even move your jaw/head for that matter. It's all audible!
tongue.gif

- a good fit is critical to getting the maximum out of the sound and for that reason, I'd take any fundamentally negative impressions with a heavy grain of salt. Just a small turn in position can affect the sound quality/performance. Not to mention the fit of the chosen tips. After much testing, I am actually using a different size for each ear and settled on the tip with that malleable foam. If it's not sounding great, my first check would be the fit as well as how it's positioned in your ear. This is an indictment on the technology where getting the most out of it is a finicky exercise and may well be the primary reason for such a wide ranging difference in impressions.

Additionally, these Westone 3's sound great without any amplification. The Mustang's contribution to sound is genuinely marginal and I will be giving this another evaluation after burn in. Afterall, Ray thinks burn-in is important to his amps' performance.

Feb 18, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #1,384 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Additionally, these Westone 3's sound great without any amplification. The Mustang's contribution to sound is genuinely marginal and I will be giving this another evaluation after burn in. Afterall, Ray thinks burn-in is important to his amps' performance.

Completely agree - I've an iPod Classic 160GB, W3 & Mustang with 200+ hrs burn-in, and the sound out of the Headphone out of the iPod is absolutely brilliant and the Mustang's not really necessary.

The Mustang's quite good with my HD650, though, and that's why I'm keeping it.

Feb 18, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #1,385 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Completely agree - I've an iPod Classic 160GB, W3 & Mustang with 200+ hrs burn-in, and the sound out of the Headphone out of the iPod is absolutely brilliant and the Mustang's not really necessary.

The Mustang is important for that extra body in sound, as well as improved dynamic range and sound separation. However, it's so marginal that you have to be listening solely with the Mustang for a while to appreciate it. A quick A/B test will likely not uncover the difference. I'm definitely keeping the Mustang because the sound quality with the Mustang isn't about marked improvement, but about a marginal, though meaningful one for the discriminating listener.
L3000.gif

I've not tried the Mustang with my HD 650. I have no interest in using the 650 under portable circumstances and the HD650 with my HeadRoom Ultra-Micro Stack is not just marginally better than the ipod - Westone 3 - Mustang combo.

Feb 19, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #1,386 of 2,224
After a long break I am back to post on this thread. In the meantime I have moved house (always a pretty intense experience) and more importantly have had custom tips done for my W3s.

The result is even better than hoped for: fantastic isolation, super-comfortable fit (no pressure, cool feel even after hours), no breakage of seal when open the mouth/chewing or the like AAAND just blissful sound. No need to describe it much further, you all know what I mean - the sound you get in the rare occasions where the standard tips work. Bass is deep (less exaggerated than with the Olives in my case) and tight, overall sound is very cohesive and dynamic, beautifully clear and articulate across the spectrum. Soundstage deep etc.

Tonight I will make photos of the tips and upload tomorrow (still no internet at home...).

I had the impressions taken by Geraldine Daly (Harley Street Hearing) in London and the tips being done by ACS (Advanced Communication Solutions - Cutting edge in-ear technology). Cost was GBP95,- for all and I can only recommend it. Last thing, their tips (as opposed to the Westone UM56) extend the silicon to cover the body a little bit. Supposedly this ensures better fit and improves isolation. But the prime reason for ACS is that they are absolute experts in custom monitors and the like in the London area.

cheers
Janni

Feb 19, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #1,388 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent - custom tips do make a nice difference. I know because I have some too.

I can well imagine!! Right now, for me to get the best sound, the Westone's body has to nicely snuggled in my outer ear in a specific position and angle. I'm not sure that I'm even getting the maximum. As you get accustomed to the performance, and feel to get that performance, you keep fiddling until it's sitting OK.

Feb 19, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #1,389 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Janni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After a long break I am back to post on this thread. In the meantime I have moved house (always a pretty intense experience) and more importantly have had custom tips done for my W3s.

The result is even better than hoped for: fantastic isolation, super-comfortable fit (no pressure, cool feel even after hours), no breakage of seal when open the mouth/chewing or the like AAAND just blissful sound. No need to describe it much further, you all know what I mean - the sound you get in the rare occasions where the standard tips work. Bass is deep (less exaggerated than with the Olives in my case) and tight, overall sound is very cohesive and dynamic, beautifully clear and articulate across the spectrum. Soundstage deep etc.

Tonight I will make photos of the tips and upload tomorrow (still no internet at home...).

I had the impressions taken by Geraldine Daly (Harley Street Hearing) in London and the tips being done by ACS (Advanced Communication Solutions - Cutting edge in-ear technology). Cost was GBP95,- for all and I can only recommend it. Last thing, their tips (as opposed to the Westone UM56) extend the silicon to cover the body a little bit. Supposedly this ensures better fit and improves isolation. But the prime reason for ACS is that they are absolute experts in custom monitors and the like in the London area.

cheers
Janni

Hi there Janni,

How long did the whole process take, from the day you got the impressions to receiving the tips?

Also, compared with the W3 stock soft grey silicon tips - I use the large ones - are they as soft?

Feb 20, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #1,390 of 2,224
Hi,
actually the custom tips are much harder (though some flexibility of the body remains). They are made of some sort of silicone, but due to the thickness of the body it is obviously stiffer than the thin surfaces of the regular tips. Once you inserted them they sit flush and you feel them less than any standard tip and that is what you are probably interested in.

To give you an idea of how they look like I do attach some photos. Difficult to show they shape in a single photo due to the weird and winding shape of the ear canal, but I guess you get a feeling.

It took two days to get an appointment for the impressions and three weeks later they were in my hands (shipping with Royal Mail).

Janni

Feb 20, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #1,391 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Me too, I have a iPod Classic 120, a pair of W3's, and a Hornet with an ALO LOD, gotta admit I am basically fine using the 'phones and the iPod without the amp and such. I will use the amp and LOD when relaxing at home, though. The sound, either way, is great.

Feb 20, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #1,392 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by uncle b /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Me too, I have a iPod Classic 120, a pair of W3's, and a Hornet with an ALO LOD, gotta admit I am basically fine using the 'phones and the iPod without the amp and such. I will use the amp and LOD when relaxing at home, though. The sound, either way, is great.

I do not claim to have a pair of golden ears, but I do prefer the sound with the Hornet over direct iPod. A/B is pretty simple in this case - if one tries as much as possible to calibrate volume, of course. And I just tried again and always have the same findings: it is a small difference, but with the Hornet the sound becomes more natural (i.e. it sounds closer to reality, voices have more body, instruments more colour), a touch deeper and wider soundstage.

But I do agree that with a noise and/or distractive environment this might become irrelevant.

Feb 20, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #1,393 of 2,224
One more thing on my custom tips: Looking at the size of the bit that fills the ear-canal I understand why none of the regular tips worked for me. They are either simply too small and even the largest ones are being pressed into this asymentrical shape (narrow but high) which is probably causing them to be uncomfortable.

Feb 20, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #1,394 of 2,224
Quote:

Hi,
actually the custom tips are much harder (though some flexibility of the body remains). They are made of some sort of silicone, but due to the thickness of the body it is obviously stiffer than the thin surfaces of the regular tips. Once you inserted them they sit flush and you feel them less than any standard tip and that is what you are probably interested in.

To give you an idea of how they look like I do attach some photos. Difficult to show they shape in a single photo due to the weird and winding shape of the ear canal, but I guess you get a feeling.

It took two days to get an appointment for the impressions and three weeks later they were in my hands (shipping with Royal Mail).

Janni

Janni,
Many thanks for the reply & the photos. Yes, I can now see what you mentioned above about the tips extending the silicon to cover the body a bit - nice job!

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #1,395 of 2,224
Quote:

One more thing on my custom tips: Looking at the size of the bit that fills the ear-canal I understand why none of the regular tips worked for me. They are either simply too small and even the largest ones are being pressed into this asymentrical shape (narrow but high) which is probably causing them to be uncomfortable.

Thanks for sharing those photos. It certainly demonstrates the shape of the canal in that the opening into it is narrower than further inside.

It also seems highly likely that the long passage to tip of the tips will make the sound different... for better or worse?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back