Westone 3 Impressions Thread
Feb 11, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #1,366 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by fredman22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AFAIK the silicon tips included with the Westone 3 ARE Shure grey softips, if not they are identical. I've ordered both medium (PA758M) & large (PA758L) directly from Shure or yes, Earphone Solutions which would probably be a lot faster

Quote:

Originally Posted by SierraHotel01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PS: did you try the Shure Olives? They work well for some (but not all).
For those of us who get a good seal / fit with the Olives - SQ is usually reported as being fantastic (more HF air than comply tips, tighter less muddy LF response, good solid detailed mids)

I recently bought a set of PA758M and a set of medium Olives from Earphone Solutions. The PA758M looks the same but feels stiffer and more uncomfortable to my ears than the Westone's grey tips; to the point of slight pain caused either by the hardness of the material or the vacuum suction in my ear canal created by the seal. Maybe I have been using the Westone's grey tips for a much longer time and it has soften.. or then again maybe P0wderh0und is right that the Westone's grey tips are made of a softer material.. I will use the PA758M for a few more days and see what happens.

Having tried the Olives, I think I also like them in terms of comfort and seal.. also they seem more durable than the Comply ones. I guess I will stick with the Olives for now.

Regarding the SQ of the various tips etc, I'm too much of a newbie to be able to hear the subtleties or describe the sounds...
confused_face(1).gif

Feb 11, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #1,367 of 2,224
can someone provide or PM me a link to the Shure Olives? i search in google and shure sleeves comes up. but i don't want to purchase the wrong ones.

Thanks guys

Feb 11, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #1,368 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by fredman22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AFAIK the silicon tips included with the Westone 3 ARE Shure grey softips, if not they are identical. I've ordered both medium (PA758M) & large (PA758L) directly from Shure or yes, Earphone Solutions which would probably be a lot faster (I ordered my W3 from them on a Thursday Morning 8:30PST and had them in my hot little hands on Saturday 14:30PST!). If you can get the softips to fit, they conform a bit easier and compress & re-shape (e.g. jaw movement) a little better then foamies or olives which don't re-shape that easily - along with their much easier maintenance & insert/removal. Beware that in my case they enhanced the W3 bass to overabundance and had to be EQ'd but are for me the best fit & seal. Good luck.

This from Westone today:

"While we do not sell the large tips separately we are selling replacement tips for our Westone 3's in what we call a fit kit . The Fit Kit includes three sizes of: comply platinum tips, silicone “bullet” tips and silicone “mushroom” tips, and one pair of one-size-fits-all silicone triple-flange tips. Also the Fit Kit includes an earpiece-cleaning tool. The price for the Fit Kit is $24.99 (item number 79240)"

Feb 11, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #1,369 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bartohlowmeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can someone provide or PM me a link to the Shure Olives? i search in google and shure sleeves comes up. but i don't want to purchase the wrong ones.

Thanks guys

You can get the Shure black olive tips at the Apple store for $20 but they are only in medium or try here. I don't have any buying experience from them but others may chime in.

I order a small at ebay for $15 and free-shipping but I guess the dealer closed shop. Good luck.

BTW they are the black foam sleeves.

Feb 12, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #1,370 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After an hour of trying it all, I am back to the modded flanges (shortened stalk, bi-flange), which seem to deliver the best sound for my ear shape (either that or tri-flange with modded stalk), etc. The yellow foamies sound pertty good, and are comfy. I had like 10 new pair left over from when I used them with my Atrios. I may use them, but you are right, they don't last long, get very ugly, etc. The thin Complys are pretty good too, but the full-sized Complys are just too fat, stuffy.

I just can't get any of the round silicone sleeves to fit. I can tell you, when I compress the mid-sized silicones, they sound great, but as soon as I let up on the pressure, not good for me. Still mulling over the UM56 step.

just do it will you?? I guarantee you you wont regret it. surely you value your time more than the money you would spend on UM56?? the amount of time you are obviously spending on finding the right tip could easily be spent just enjoying blissful tunes

Feb 14, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #1,372 of 2,224
I am rediscovering the W3 with medium comply tips ( long beige tube ), and I take back ever thinking that the mids are recessed. Now I really like the rich presentation of the mids like I never heard with grey silicon tips. The mids are no longer being shrouded by bass ; the bass is less but it's still punchy. If the UM56 keeps the same sound with a tad more bass then I am sold

Feb 14, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #1,374 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by kite7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am rediscovering the W3 with medium comply tips ( long beige tube ), and I take back ever thinking that the mids are recessed. Now I really like the rich presentation of the mids like I never heard with grey silicon tips. The mids are no longer being shrouded by bass ; the bass is less but it's still punchy. If the UM56 keeps the same sound with a tad more bass then I am sold

I'm about to re-iterate how much ear canal length/shape matters here. I personally find the short Comply tips the best of the three available Comply lengths available, and even then, I find the sound too warm and a bit bloated in the lower end for me. I still find the clear flex (or whatever they're called) sleeves the best for me, even though my right ear can't get a strong seal for the first few tries.
redface.gif

Feb 14, 2009 at 11:54 AM Post #1,375 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Almost 3 months later and I still love my Westone 3.

Agree with you Larry. 3 months of use and I find the 3's absolutely sublime.

Feb 18, 2009 at 10:16 AM Post #1,379 of 2,224
ehh..gosh... this thread is just killing me.. 92 pages 100k+ views... this is probably gonna be my 1st IEM of choice

what other iems at this price range would compare ? or should i just shut up already and get some westone 3s.

Feb 18, 2009 at 10:43 AM Post #1,380 of 2,224
Nah bail on the W3's and get yourself a real pair of IEM's some IE8's youll be so glad you did good luck pal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back