Westone 3 Impressions Thread
Dec 9, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #916 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by prscustom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@moseboy

please share your experince when you get w3...im surious because you also love ur 530's

Just so you know, I also liked my SE530 more than my Triple.fi 10 Pro which I sold. I liked them enough to convert them into a hard shell custom molded IEM, and still use them but now I don't have to EQ them to bring out the highs. The SE530 customs have less bass than the W3 and the same expansive soundstage as the W3 (which was good stock too), but the SE530 customs do have just a little sibilance that I don't hear with the W3.

Dec 9, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #917 of 2,224
Quote:

@moseboy

please share your experince when you get w3...im surious because you also love ur 530's

Sorry to say this, but honestly, there's a good chance I won't get them. I have several reasons why, but the biggest is that after my experience with the UM2, I just am not confident enough to say that I am going to love the Westone 3, which I want to be able to say before I buy it. To all of you who have the Westone 3 and love it, I'm happy for you: The wait was well worth it. But at this point in time, I still have, use, and really like my SE530, and my next big purchase I want to be a major step up (probably customs).

Dec 9, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #918 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do feel however that they are quite picky with source; and while the mids presentation is a little further back than my SE530; the much wider soundstage more than makes up for it; because there is more room for the instruments in that range to exist in. I dont know if that makes any sense to you guys, but thats how it seems to me.

This makes total sense and I agree. The soundstage is huge and lovely on W3, much like soundstage of TFPro.

In IEM world it seems forward midrange = narrow(er) soundstage. Recessed midrange = much larger soundstage.

W3 midrange is much larger than UM2 which makes sense since UM2 is musician monitor.

Dec 10, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #920 of 2,224
Quote:

@moseboy

I too LOOOOVVEE my SE530 mate. and still do; but for me the W3 is superior. not with all music but most. this will give you some idea how much I love the shures. its a jena with 75k vishay P to S adapter I made for them on last weekend. anyone whoi has seen my posts regarding the shures in the last 5 months will know how much I love them; but I just dont here what you are hearing. Thats cool, we all hear differently.

SE530withjenaP2Sgallery.jpg

Dec 10, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #921 of 2,224
Quote:

I too LOOOOVVEE my SE530 mate. and still do; but for me the W3 is superior. not with all music but most. this will give you some idea how much I love the shures. its a jena with 75k vishay P to S adapter I made for them on last weekend. anyone whoi has seen my posts regarding the shures in the last 5 months will know how much I love them; but I just dont here what you are hearing. Thats cool, we all hear differently.

Hey, didn't you buy ZephyrSapphire's "defective W3" for which he hated the sound? I suppose they are NOT defective after all.
tongue.gif
I guess I have to stop blaming the bad reviews on broken IEM.

Dec 10, 2008 at 5:21 AM Post #923 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, didn't you buy ZephyrSapphire's "defective W3" for which he hated the sound? I suppose they are NOT defective after all.
tongue.gif

*Nods* Flavio too.

Like I said, I guess it's possible that both phones had the exact same problem such that it didn't sound good, but it's extremely unlikely. I mean it's great to hear that Flavio is willing to replace these potentially bad units, so go ahead and give it a shot: send it back in and try a new one. But as we're finding out, these earphones just (obviously) aren't for everyone.

Dec 10, 2008 at 1:48 PM Post #924 of 2,224
Quote:

beautiful...is the change dramatical?

Dec 10, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #925 of 2,224
Quote:

tongue.gif

yeah I did, but thats the first i've heard about it (defective???? zephERRR!!!) nah I cant hear anything wrong. what was supposed to be wrong?? I didnt catch those posts. i'll listen for something if you can let me know what it is. because it has been a little inconsistent. but I think thats mainly down to source material and music choice.

Dec 10, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #926 of 2,224
Quote:

beautiful...is the change dramatical?

thanks
wink.gif

OT sorry

dramatic!!... no, but definitely a noticeable improvement. to me the dynamics are improved along with a slightly more controlled mid bass. so I have just to add a clip of some sort to help with the weight when i'm not using my backpack; because it hangs down beside my jaw and curls under my arm and into the bag. This cable draws too much attention to have hanging down my back where I cant see it, attached to $1600USD worth of rig (i'd rather not have someone try and yank on it and run). So I need to be able to clip it to a lapel or something to take some of the increased weight. perfectly fine when i'm using my transportable rig in the side pocket of my bag though

Dec 10, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #927 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am so pissed off at the mediocre case they gave, does anyone know the best place to buy some decent Pelican case or anything?

Also, how does warranty work for Aussies?

i'll send you some links tomorrow. but in the mean time check out some camera stores. photographers use them for keeping CF cards and stuff in.

Dec 10, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #928 of 2,224
Quote:

yeah I did, but thats the first i've heard about it (defective???? zephERRR!!!) nah I cant hear anything wrong. what was supposed to be wrong?? I didnt catch those posts. i'll listen for something if you can let me know what it is. because it has been a little inconsistent. but I think thats mainly down to source material and music choice.

Nothing to worry about - I was previously telling Zephyr and a few others that if they didn't like the W3 then they must have defective ones. I think the major cause of disappointment with them now is due to variable ear canal shape and fit.

Dec 10, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #929 of 2,224
Quote:

Nothing to worry about - I was previously telling Zephyr and a few others that if they didn't like the W3 then they must have defective ones. I think the major cause of disappointment with them now is due to variable ear canal shape and fit.

Or they just don't like the way they sound... I've owned a slew of universal IEMs and have tried on just about every tip you can imagine (apart from the Shure black olive foams, I really need to order a pair of those), and I am hearing some of the same deficiencies that others have described.

Dec 11, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #930 of 2,224
The W3 !?

- Surprisingly good .

- With tips properly inserted (not too deeply) sound like open headphones .

- Better connected to my iQube (LOD) than directly to my iPod Touch : great match .

- Recommended !
regular_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back