Westone 3 Impressions Thread
Dec 12, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #946 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DLee

I am pretty sure they are only there as a unit of measurement, I think it's every inch or something

OK, thanks. I believe that I did read that somewhere, but I thought that it was just speculation that that might be what it was. Thanks...

Dec 12, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #947 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got my W3's today. I have read about this issue and I believe that earphone solutions mentioned discussing it with Westone, but was there an answer to whether or not there is a problem because the W3 cable seems to have spots where the glossy black "covering/jacket" is missing?

It was posted before that the grey areas are intentional by the company that builds these for Westone, so that their automated machines could read the length of cable better with the marks of paint at even intervals.

Dec 12, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #948 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was posted before that the grey areas are intentional by the company that builds these for Westone, so that their automated machines could read the length of cable better with the marks of paint at even intervals.

Thank you for the information. Have you used your W3's with your Pico? If so, what is your opinion about their synergy?

Dec 12, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #949 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for the information. Have you used your W3's with your Pico? If so, what is your opinion about their synergy?

Sounds great - the W3 get along with all my portable amps.

Dec 12, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #950 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds great - the W3 get along with all my portable amps.

Just listened to my first half-dozen or so songs with the W3's and the Pico and the quality of the sound is amazing. (...puts the best IEMs I have ever had to shame (E5c's) which I guess isn't saying much...). Now comes the experimentation with the tips. All of you guys explain your listening experiences so vividly. I'm not even sure I'm taking these tips off or putting them on properly!

Dec 12, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #951 of 2,224
Recommend you consider getting some Medium Olive tips and trying them in the mix.
They made a big stir hear when they came out (for good reason).

(I get mine at Earphone Solutions - been using them forever with SE530's)

The Comply Tips (long & medium) supplied with the W3's, imho, are noticeably 'fuzzier/muddier' than the Olives.

Gotta say: Olive Tipped 3's = awesome

(especially through a Mustang)

Dec 12, 2008 at 12:27 PM Post #952 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by SierraHotel01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Recommend you consider getting some Medium Olive tips and trying them in the mix.
They made a big stir hear when they came out (for good reason).

(I get mine at Earphone Solutions - been using them forever with SE530's)

The Comply Tips (long & medium) supplied with the W3's, imho, are noticeably 'fuzzier/muddier' than the Olives.

Gotta say: Olive Tipped 3's = awesome

(especially through a Mustang)

Would it be possible for you to supply a link to the Shure Olives at Earphone Solutions. I think I found them at Shure. (they're not really called olives, right?)

Dec 12, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #953 of 2,224
Dec 12, 2008 at 1:15 PM Post #954 of 2,224
I would like to say after a day of Burning in, the W3 Bass is more controlled. and the Tips can Change the Sound. it is not just a Fit thing. so Please try all the tips for sound. it can go from recessed mid to Excessive Bass all from changing tips.

Dec 12, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #955 of 2,224
Dec 12, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #957 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Del Griffith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try the link below for Shure olives or any tips. The earplug superstore. Way less expensive and shipping is fast and more reasonable. Bought from there many times...very reliable.

Shure Earphone and Monitor Accessories - Earphone Accessories

Thanks for the link, I have purchased noise reduction earplugs from them in the past. I wasn't aware that they sold Shure and Westone products...

Dec 12, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #959 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by IvanBarista /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would like to say after a day of Burning in, the W3 Bass is more controlled. and the Tips can Change the Sound. it is not just a Fit thing. so Please try all the tips for sound. it can go from recessed mid to Excessive Bass all from changing tips.

I noted in my review my W3 stopped changing after 24 hours. Typically people say balanced armatures don't need burn-in, but I have heard APureSound cables take 50-100 hours to burn-in, so I know it isn't just drivers that change with time but cables and cross-overs too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back