Westone 3 Impressions Thread
Jan 12, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #1,981 of 2,224
I'd like to think from the sources listed on my profile at least one of them would of worked well? I think insane has different meanings to each individual and what gear a person has heard to form a bench mark or reference point will decide that. A well driven ER4S is much closer to insane than I ever heard Westone 4 or the 4R I owned, then again ASG-2 and 1plus2 take that word to its true meaning for me. I could go into the discovery thread and a find a member claiming a $50 FOTM sounds insane. Westone 4 was good but even something like H-200 at half the price walked over W4 to my ears.

very well said and point taken...i mean not everyone can afford the RSA SR-71B So my perception of the w4r with the 71b might not be what the average joe can afford.

and i agree with you, i have the etymotic er4P and MY GOD those sound stupid out of the 71b

i held off for a while on the w4r becuase so many said they were veiled or dark, but i get no darkness at all with my rig and the w4r, but i also am listening to them balanced with toxic cable silver point interconnects and cables and this might be why i dont perceive any kind of veiled or darkness. i actually listened a while today with the w4r and my rig, ive been using other iems like tf10/er4p/se535 with them, and they gave me a wow factor...i cant say more wow over the er4p though

Jan 12, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #1,982 of 2,224
  very well said and point taken...i mean not everyone can afford the RSA SR-71B So my perception of the w4r with the 71b might not be what the average joe can afford.

and i agree with you, i have the etymotic er4P and MY GOD those sound stupid out of the 71b

i held off for a while on the w4r becuase so many said they were veiled or dark, but i get no darkness at all with my rig and the w4r, but i also am listening to them balanced with toxic cable silver point interconnects and cables and this might be why i dont perceive any kind of veiled or darkness. i actually listened a while today with the w4r and my rig, ive been using other iems like tf10/er4p/se535 with them, and they gave me a wow factor...i cant say more wow over the er4p though

Well you're kind of taking your Westone 4 to the extreme with the cables, balanced connectors and set up you have. 
tongue.gif

I admire your passion for them.

Moving on....

Members wanted to know about the tip mod I mentioned last page. You need to follow this guide in the link below. it's very easy to do in a few simple steps. then you can fit any standard size tip you want on Westone 3 (or 4). Bascially doing this mod opens up a world of tip possibilities and you are no longer stuck with Westone silicon with a bore the diameter of a pubic hair.

Westone 4 Tip Adapter Mod. 

I ended up using these tips as although I believe Westone new what they were doing using a pin size bore on their silicon tips this did not agree with my ears at all. Only when I opened up the bore was I happier with the performance.

Jan 12, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #1,983 of 2,224

Well you're kind of taking your Westone 4 to the extreme with the cables, balanced connectors and set up you have. 
tongue.gif

I admire your passion for them.

Moving on....

Members wanted to know about the tip mod I mentioned last page. You need to follow this guide in the link below. it's very easy to do in a few simple steps. then you can fit any standard size tip you want on Westone 3 (or 4). Bascially doing this mod opens up a world of tip possibilities and you are no longer stuck with Westone silicon with a bore the diameter of a pubic hair.

Westone 4 Tip Adapter Mod. 

HAha yeah, this hobby is a addiction once it draws you in. you cannot get out.

with that Tip mod, i imagine it must open up the mids and highs being it has a larger bore no? while i imagine it gives the bass a little more bottom end.

Jan 12, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #1,986 of 2,224
  HAha yeah, this hobby is a addiction once it draws you in. you cannot get out.

with that Tip mod, i imagine it must open up the mids and highs being it has a larger bore no? while i imagine it gives the bass a little more bottom end.

Seem to make the mid range less congested while slightly lifting the veil, along with other area's like increasing the headstage. Sounds more open and less restricted to my ears. I personally believe Westone went for such a small diameter bore on their silicon tips to limit fatigue, as it's a safe option that gives decent sound, while it might do that we're not necessarily getting the best sound. Best thing for members to do is try it, as it will vary from person to person, I think the beauty of that mod is the ability to start exploring different tip options and bore diameters.

Jan 12, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #1,987 of 2,224
I got a pair of W3s a couple of weeks back when the buydig sale was on. However, I didnt get a chance to give them a good hearing until today.
I drove with the TuneShell app (for flac files) on iPhone 5S and played some Led Zep, Dire Straits and some classic rock (all files were either flac or 320 kbps ripped).
My first impressions:
Very disappointed with both the bass and the clarity. I was expecting them to deliver on both these accounts. The sound sounded really muddy, as if someone had added a thick medium to the sound. The bass sounds boomy sometimes and the high-end sounds soft. I'm using the smallest sized silicone tips as they are the most comfortable for me. 
Am I doing something wrong here?

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #1,990 of 2,224
Hello my friends. WOW...WOW...WOW :):):). I bought it used in a really good deal.

When I played one of my favorite songs in my X3 with this little guys I cried. It was a religious experience. Amazing sound!!!

How Westone did this? It sounds far a way better than my ATH A900X

Thank you Westone for this Audio Gem!!! :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Jan 21, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #1,991 of 2,224
Hello my friends. WOW...WOW...WOW
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
. I bought it used in a really good deal.

When I played one of my favorite songs in my X3 with this little guys I cried. It was a religious experience. Amazing sound!!!

How Westone did this? It sounds far a way better than my ATH A900X

Thank you Westone for this Audio Gem!!!
ksc75smile.gif
ksc75smile.gif
ksc75smile.gif

haha sounds like u really like them.

Jan 22, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #1,993 of 2,224
Haven't been on this site for a while but I am an owner of Westone 3s. They're my daily drivers and go to IEMs. I'm having some trouble with my star tips. I use the green star tip, which I believe are the smallest. They keep getting stuck in my ears and slipping off the monitors. They, however, don't slip off my UM3Xs. I'm trying to see if anyone else has this problem. I can't really go up in size because the fit gets uncomfortable...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back