Westone 3 Impressions Thread
Jul 7, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #1,711 of 2,224
Quote:
I recabled my Westone 3 after the right channel decided to pack up. Now it's still working fine after 4 years.

Any sonic differences you've noticed compared to the original westone cable? 

My W3's cable has been getting stiffer (probably as a result of sweat) and I'm considering doing a similar mod to make the cables removable. 

Jul 7, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #1,712 of 2,224
Quote:

My W3's cable has been getting stiffer (probably as a result of sweat) and I'm considering doing a similar mod to make the cables removable. 

Actually there was quite a difference. The vocals are crisper, more forward. Bass I couldn't tell a difference....if I used a blend of silver and copper wire, I could tune it for more bass.

Jul 7, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #1,713 of 2,224
Quote:

btg-audio could probably help you there.

cheers

Jul 9, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #1,715 of 2,224
Quote:
I recabled my Westone 3 after the right channel decided to pack up. Now it's still working fine after 4 years.

Removable cable mod

Silver cables

Wow, very nice!  I've love to have that on my W3.

Aug 13, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #1,717 of 2,224
So my W3 decided it wanted to develop a crack 2 months after my warranty is over. I wish Westone didn't have to charge so much for a replacement, but I guess this little guy had to cost something to make... GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Oct 31, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #1,718 of 2,224
Quote:
So my W3 decided it wanted to develop a crack 2 months after my warranty is over. I wish Westone didn't have to charge so much for a replacement, but I guess this little guy had to cost something to make... GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Was it after two years? I'm noticing the cable on mine around the ear is getting stiffer, after only a year and very light use, no gym.
I'm curious whether these can be re-cabled locally, and what is the cost. I was under the false impression that the cables on the westies would outlive the monitors...Guess not!

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #1,719 of 2,224
My cable has been fine, but the body is getting worse. I do not know what I can do to stop them from cracking more...
other than not using them. At this point both sides have developed cracks. I think it might have something to do with me pushing them into my ear with the UM56. It started after I got them.

Nov 7, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #1,720 of 2,224
Quote:
My cable has been fine, but the body is getting worse. I do not know what I can do to stop them from cracking more...
other than not using them. At this point both sides have developed cracks. I think it might have something to do with me pushing them into my ear with the UM56. It started after I got them.

Wow, this is the weirdest structural failure I've ever seen...Chinese made quality I'd say! At one point I was contemplating selling mine and get a pair of UM3X, mainly because those are US made. Unfortunately at the moment I can't afford to make the move...

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #1,721 of 2,224
I (think I) found out why they have been cracking! I believe the cause is due to the force created when the cable gets caught on something. This force pulls the shell upwards while still ankered to your ear, causing the shell to split.

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #1,722 of 2,224
hey guys, just a quick question. Would these be good for metal/rock? I listen to a lot of metal like Gojira, Kreator, Children of Bodom, Krisiun, etc.. and was wondering if these woud fit the bill. Or will i be better off with a Sony MDR7550(ex800st)? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #1,723 of 2,224
These are very versatile and I think everything will sound great through them. They are modern metal bands that benefit from the slight mid-bass hump the W3 has. I feel metal is more enjoyable when it is fun sounding. With Comply tips the bass kicks are very strong (from memory). Without the Comply, it is very balanced. Everything comes out nice and clear. If you want something where the bass kick kicks you in the face, though, I don't think the W3 will offer that. Sometimes I like that powerful bass in my metal songs.

Dec 5, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #1,724 of 2,224
Quote:
These are very versatile and I think everything will sound great through them. They are modern metal bands that benefit from the slight mid-bass hump the W3 has. I feel metal is more enjoyable when it is fun sounding. With Comply tips the bass kicks are very strong (from memory). Without the Comply, it is very balanced. Everything comes out nice and clear. If you want something where the bass kick kicks you in the face, though, I don't think the W3 will offer that. Sometimes I like that powerful bass in my metal songs.

Thanks bro. does the midbass hump not making the details drown out? im quite worried about that.Do you recommend the Westone 3 over other westone universals for metal and edm? I laso heard that it is very tip dependent. 

Dec 5, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #1,725 of 2,224
Me am sad.  Left ear piece has decided to go so the bass is much lighter now.  Still I guess that's what happens when you leave them in your coat pocket and that gets put in the wash :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back