Westone 3 and amp?which?
Mar 19, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #46 of 75
thanks. so within a reasonable budget / using what I already own, what would be the optimal setup for my W3 as a portable rig and an at home rig? Would the W3s sound better through the D2 as a DAC via my laptop, or through my iphone as an LOD? thanks again HeadphoneAddict, you've been surprisingly helpful (i mean that in a positive way)

Mar 19, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #47 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by TubeStack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do the Westone 3s even need an amp?

I have 2 amps, Headsix and iBasso D3, the ipod classic/lod/amp does sound slightly better than unamped but it's (very) marginal. Personally, I think there's better (and cheaper) gains by getting custom tips

Mar 19, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #48 of 75
@ade_hall: ah, that brings me to my next question (but the previous one still stands): are custom tips a good purchase for the W3s? Which tips? UM56? Wouldn't the W3s stick out pretty far with custom tips? Oh, and i found this site which sells them for $66 dollars (they give you a reference number that you use when sending the molds off to Westone):

westone UM56

Any thoughts?

Mar 19, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #49 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaredtkatz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks. so within a reasonable budget / using what I already own, what would be the optimal setup for my W3 as a portable rig and an at home rig? Would the W3s sound better through the D2 as a DAC via my laptop, or through my iphone as an LOD? thanks again HeadphoneAddict, you've been surprisingly helpful (i mean that in a positive way)

I think the main advantage of the D2 Boa is it's very detailed DAC, while the amp section is not quite as good as the DAC section. The amp is not bad, but it's bass is not quite as tight as the D3 Python's amp, the mids are not quite as full as the D3, and D2 Boa has a slight upper bass/low midrange coloration to female vocals at times. Some phones with the D2 Boa will sound like a little bit of "smiley-face" frequency response (upturned bass/treble w/ recessed mids), which is good for low volumes but can make the mids feel a little sucked out at higher volumes.

As a source, the iPhone 3G line out dock with a good cable will be slightly less detailed and spacious than the D2 Boa USB DAC, but it will be close to enough to enjoy as much if you get a decent LOD (PM barqy or stevenkelby or highflyin9 about building a mid-level LOD for iPhone). The one thing you have to watch out for is the iPhone buzz that plagues most iBasso amps, and you'll need a RFI blocker from Quick Bridge Solutions - EM Shield for iPhone to put between the iPhone and D2 Boa if you want to stack and use them without turning on airplane mode.

See my public profile "about me" for links to my reviews, and check them out as I have reviewed many portable amps and DACs - just copy and paste a link that looks helpful, and start with the big USB DAC amp review that I just updated about 4 weeks ago.

Also, see Skylab's big portable headphone amp review (search) in which he has reviewed the D2 Boa and D3 Python that I sent to him in January.

Mar 19, 2009 at 8:50 AM Post #50 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally think that the Pico is better with the W3 than those of RSA.
The cold, analytical sound of the Pico matches the dark sound of W3 better. I think RSA's amps are quite bassy and all warm, which are all the characteristics of the W3. We need something different to complement the W3.

Thats very interesting thing
smily_headphones1.gif
ye w3 is warm...all i want is huge soundstage...all music in 3d that i will feel that im in music
smily_headphones1.gif
))

Mar 19, 2009 at 9:33 AM Post #51 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are thinking about spending $500 or so on a portable amp with your W3's, there is an alternative to consider. As much as a portable amp will make you IEM's reach their full potential, that extra money could be used instead to upgrade your IEM's. The W3's and IE8's are both at the top of universal fit IEM's but there is still a higher mountain to climb, namely the custom fit ES3X or UE11. I believe that going the custom route, even straight from the headphone out of your portable player, will be a much more significant improvement in sound quality over the addition of a portable amp with your W3's. Just something else for you to think about.

Ye that is right...but in another tread people tells that we must amp our IEM...im confused but it will all depends on my cash. if will be:
1. W3 + Amp PICO, Mustang, D10 or Predator + Imod + LOD ALO
2. ES3X + mp3 player Ipod Touch, Classic(if i will have only Imod without amp it is possible to listen though classic jack???)
3. ES3X + Amp PICO, Mustang, D10 or Predator + Imod + LOD ALO

???????

Apr 12, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #55 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheep_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone can recommend to boost the W3's soundstage? IMO the clarity and bass are pretty sufficient...Budgetwise hopefully it wont exceed USD400-500?

How about a good amp and source that provide a big soundstage? What do you use to listen to the W3 with right now?

Apr 12, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #56 of 75
Quote:

Anyone can recommend to boost the W3's soundstage? IMO the clarity and bass are pretty sufficient...Budgetwise hopefully it wont exceed USD400-500?

how about sell the W3 and add the 500 to the proceeds to get ES3X; that'll add to the soundstage.
biggrin.gif

but yes other than that a better source and quality amp will do the trick

Apr 12, 2009 at 9:34 AM Post #57 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about a good amp and source that provide a big soundstage? What do you use to listen to the W3 with right now?

Currenly unamped from ipod touch 1st gen, with most of my songs in 320kbs or ALAC. I know the source kinda sucks, but i'm currently saving up to get a new player + amp.

Apr 12, 2009 at 10:39 AM Post #58 of 75
Suggestion, how about, total digitial interconnect.

iRiver H1x0 -optical-> iBasso D10 -> Your favorite IEMs.

qusp, jamato8 and HeadphoneAddict can describe it
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, you can change D10's sound signature to suit your IEMs/phones via op-amp rolling.

-- Digital audio is the present and future technology.

Apr 12, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #59 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Larry, I was curious if you tried your Westone 3 with the Apogee headphone amp section or your WA6 PDPS and how you found that sound compared to your favourite portable amp setup?

Thanks

Apr 12, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #60 of 75
Quote:

Currenly unamped from ipod touch 1st gen, with most of my songs in 320kbs or ALAC. I know the source kinda sucks, but i'm currently saving up to get a new player + amp.

The 1G Touch headphone out was not very good when I had one (lost it). The 2G or Classic or 3G Nano will sound a bit better.

The line out of the 1G Touch wasn't bad, but still slightly behind the 3G Nano, so adding an amp like the D10 or Mustang should be a nice change as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Larry, I was curious if you tried your Westone 3 with the Apogee headphone amp section or your WA6 PDPS and how you found that sound compared to your favourite portable amp setup?

Thanks

I have not tried them with the Apogee mini-DAC but they sound great with the Apogee Duet. I tried them with the WA6 and the sound was on par with my best portable setup or Duet - the WA6 sounds better with full size cans than IEM, but it does a respectable job with IEM with the low impedance switch set on low.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back