Westone 3 and amp?which?
Apr 13, 2009 at 9:27 AM Post #62 of 75
What is op-amp rolling????????????????
L3000.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Suggestion, how about, total digitial interconnect.

iRiver H1x0 -optical-> iBasso D10 -> Your favorite IEMs.

qusp, jamato8 and HeadphoneAddict can describe it
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, you can change D10's sound signature to suit your IEMs/phones via op-amp rolling.

-- Digital audio is the present and future technology.

Apr 13, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #63 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tidus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is op-amp rolling????????????????
L3000.gif

It just means swapping out opamp modules or chips inside the amp (operational amplifier) for different opamps that dictate how the amp will sound different. This is only easy with amplifier that use opamps that are socketed onto the circuit board. Rolling opamps is similar to tube "rolling" in a tube amp, where you change the tubes to change or alter the sound to be more to your liking. The term comes from "Roll your own", referring back to the old days of rolling your own custom cigarettes.

Apr 20, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #64 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vs the D2 Boa, the Predator and Pico will add a fuller and punchier sound with richer mids and tigher bass control. However, the D2 Boa via LOD will still do a respectable job and sound better than IEM right from the headphone out jack. The iPhone 3G LOD > amp sounds better than the iPod 5G LOD> amp, but I don't know about the first iPhone. My iMod > ALO iMod LOD > amp is a little better than the iPhone 3G LOD > amp as well.

Hi there:

Would it be worth including a NuForce Icon Mobile with my Westone 3 earphones and iPOD Classic 160GB?

Thanks!

Apr 20, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #65 of 75
It might be worth mentioning, my W3's sound fantastic with my Predator. In fact, it's almost as good as listening through my Darkvoice 332 desk amp, I would say about 90% of the fidelity, which is very impressive for a tiny portable amp like the Predator. I'll probably wait a few months before deciding whether I need a P-51. Whether or not the P-51 will possess the refinement and soundstage of my DV332 is an exciting thought.

Apr 21, 2009 at 7:36 AM Post #66 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi there:

Would it be worth including a NuForce Icon Mobile with my Westone 3 earphones and iPOD Classic 160GB?

Thanks!

Probably not a big improvement to make it worth the cost, but if you are looking to upgrade your PC audio the Nuforce is a good choice for the Westone 3 and your computer.

Apr 21, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #67 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably not a big improvement to make it worth the cost, but if you are looking to upgrade your PC audio the Nuforce is a good choice for the Westone 3 and your computer.

Thanks Larry. I already have an external USB DAC (DAC Straight by Hotaudio) and a Grado RA1 amp for my SR325is headphones.

I was looking at pairing it with my iPod and Westone 3s for better sound, but now maybe not.

Cheers!

Apr 21, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #68 of 75
to get noticeably better sound that is worth the money; IMO you kinda have to take the next step up in quality amps. the W3 is pretty efficient, but all the same it does benefit a great deal from quality amping IMO, but there isnt too much point in replacing one amp (internal in the ipod) with another middle of the road amp. those sorts of amps are IMO only really of any uise if you really need the power to drive less efficient headphones. for IEMs or headphones that are well driven (power wise) with the ipod HP out, you really have to go the next step, to provide a better soundstage and control.

Apr 21, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #69 of 75
I am having here several iPods, an iPhone V1, an iPhone 3g and a Sony Vaio VGN-Z11VN.

When I got my W3 last week I was impressed by the sound it provides, I never heard such details in my music ever before (my old phones were super.fi 5 pro)

But I also realised that the Vaio did sound MUCH better than any of the iPods/iPhones.

That made me suspicious and I assumed that this has to to with the internal amps of the players/notebook.

I begun a search that did end up very soon here in the forum
wink.gif

After reading hundreds of postings over the weekend I learned that it is better to bypass the internal amps and use special external headphone amps, what really does make sense to me.

Now I do have a Predator on the way to me and am very excited how it will change the sound of my Apple players and the notebook in combination with the Westones.

Jochen

Apr 21, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #70 of 75
Enjoy the Predator. Everyone's raving about the P-51 these days, but the Predator got just as much praise a year back as being a great-sounding amp.

Apr 21, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #71 of 75
The Mustang was an option for me but as I am also hearing a lot of music using my notebook, so needed a DAC and went for the Predator.
I found one second hand in Germany what saved me taxes, customs and shipping costs...

Sure I read these comments telling the P-51 does sound completely different and maybe also "better".

But Looking at the size of these two tiny amps, which are having the same maker, I do really wonder if there is any technical difference between them beside from the DAC ...
For me this is very hard to believe.

Jochen

Apr 21, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #72 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
to get noticeably better sound that is worth the money; IMO you kinda have to take the next step up in quality amps. the W3 is pretty efficient, but all the same it does benefit a great deal from quality amping IMO, but there isnt too much point in replacing one amp (internal in the ipod) with another middle of the road amp. those sorts of amps are IMO only really of any uise if you really need the power to drive less efficient headphones. for IEMs or headphones that are well driven (power wise) with the ipod HP out, you really have to go the next step, to provide a better soundstage and control.

Thanks for the info! What portable amp would you recommend for the W3s?

Apr 21, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #73 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Larry. I already have an external USB DAC (DAC Straight by Hotaudio) and a Grado RA1 amp for my SR325is headphones.

I was looking at pairing it with my iPod and Westone 3s for better sound, but now maybe not.

Cheers!

It WILL make a big difference with some headphones with the iPod - like the D2000, or Senn IE8 which really do much better via Nuforce than the iPod headphone out.

Jul 22, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #75 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by selkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so is there a good opamp kombo for W3+D10 then ?
beause I'm going to go for the ibasso instead of pico (mainly because of the optical feature)

I like the AD744 OBCA/EL8201 combo with my W3 and UM56 custom tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back