Westone 3 and amp?which?
Mar 16, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #31 of 75
I think i am upgrading from super fi 5 pro to Westone 3s. The only portable amp i own is the ibasso d2 boa. How much better is a pico or predator? What do they do differently? I'm basically asking, would it be necessary to get anything additional if i want to get the W3s? Also, would there be a big difference between running iPhone-->LOD-->D2 Boa-->IEMs versus iPod 5G -->LOD-->D2 Boa--> IEMS?

Thanks

Mar 16, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #32 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaredtkatz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think i am upgrading from super fi 5 pro to Westone 3s. The only portable amp i own is the ibasso d2 boa. How much better is a pico or predator? What do they do differently? I'm basically asking, would it be necessary to get anything additional if i want to get the W3s? Also, would there be a big difference between running iPhone-->LOD-->D2 Boa-->IEMs versus iPod 5G -->LOD-->D2 Boa--> IEMS?

Thanks

Vs the D2 Boa, the Predator and Pico will add a fuller and punchier sound with richer mids and tigher bass control. However, the D2 Boa via LOD will still do a respectable job and sound better than IEM right from the headphone out jack. The iPhone 3G LOD > amp sounds better than the iPod 5G LOD> amp, but I don't know about the first iPhone. My iMod > ALO iMod LOD > amp is a little better than the iPhone 3G LOD > amp as well.

Mar 16, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #33 of 75
If you are thinking about spending $500 or so on a portable amp with your W3's, there is an alternative to consider. As much as a portable amp will make you IEM's reach their full potential, that extra money could be used instead to upgrade your IEM's. The W3's and IE8's are both at the top of universal fit IEM's but there is still a higher mountain to climb, namely the custom fit ES3X or UE11. I believe that going the custom route, even straight from the headphone out of your portable player, will be a much more significant improvement in sound quality over the addition of a portable amp with your W3's. Just something else for you to think about.

Mar 16, 2009 at 11:21 AM Post #34 of 75
thanks for all the help. I am using an iphone 3g, btw. David, the custom IEM route intimidates me. As a high school student, I think I have plenty of time down the road to work my way towards custom IEMs. I also do not understand how the custom IEMs produce better sounds versus simply providing the best isolation. Do they have more / better drivers as well as the custom mold?

thanks again

Mar 16, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #35 of 75
Hi guys,
What do you think about the sound from this combo: iPod Touch 2G -> LOD -> D10 -> W3? I've never had before any amp... I need to hear more soundstage, instruments separation and very good low bas... So D10 can improve this? and it sound on W3 will be better than only via headphone-out from iPod Touch?

Thanks!
Sorry for my english
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #36 of 75
After an extensive comparison, I ordered the iBasso D10. I also have Westone 3's.

I considered the RSA Tomahawk, Hornet M, Practical Devices XM5, and the 3MOVE amps. The D10 had the right combination of features (i.e. USB-rechargeable battery, nicely-reviewed DAC, optical in, etc) and at a lower price.

The only caveat's I've heard are the D10's size (based on comparison pics, the D10 is bigger than the D2 + D3) and some quality control issues. Supposedly, iBasso is great with customer service - so it made the decision easier.

I'll report back when I get it.

Mar 16, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #37 of 75
Quote:

thanks for all the help. I am using an iphone 3g, btw. David, the custom IEM route intimidates me. As a high school student, I think I have plenty of time down the road to work my way towards custom IEMs. I also do not understand how the custom IEMs produce better sounds versus simply providing the best isolation. Do they have more / better drivers as well as the custom mold?

thanks again

My iPhone 3G has one of the best headphone out of any other iPod I have tried. With the Westone 3 you don't need an amp with it. Don't worry about it and enjoy high school, and buy music instead.

Mar 19, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #40 of 75
ok bought the westone 3. Now i have a serious (but silly sounding question): compared to other portable amps out there, the Fiios are dirt cheap. Why do people own them? Does anyone use them with high end IEMs like the W3s, or only with lower end headphones? Would my D2 boa do considerably more in terms of SQ than a Fiio?

thanks

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #41 of 75
Quote:

ok bought the westone 3. Now i have a serious (but silly sounding question): compared to other portable amps out there, the Fiios are dirt cheap. Why do people own them? Does anyone use them with high end IEMs like the W3s, or only with lower end headphones? Would my D2 boa do considerably more in terms of SQ than a Fiio?

thanks

The D2 Boa is better than a Fiio amp in detail resolution and power - the Fiio E5 will sound about like the headphone out of an iPod Nano, so it doesn't make it worse but it's not going to add anything to the Westone 3 experience that you need.

So, if you need a tiny amp for a bass-lite $50-100 IEM, sure, an E5 is fine. But with the W3, if you can't buy a nicer amp you might as well just run them out of your DAP without one.

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #42 of 75
haha. So you're basically saying that my d2 is worthless? Also, would it be possible to run the w3s through it's volume control connected to an lod, bypassing the headphone jack? Or would you need an amp? Could you do this config with a fiio / would this be a good way to utilize a cheap amp like the fiio? Lastly, how different are the fiio e5 and e3? Lots of questions! Thanks everyone

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #43 of 75
Quote:

haha. So you're basically saying that my d2 is worthless? Also, would it be possible to run the w3s through it's volume control connected to an lod, bypassing the headphone jack? Or would you need an amp? Could you do this config with a fiio / would this be a good way to utilize a cheap amp like the fiio? Lastly, how different are the fiio e5 and e3? Lots of questions! Thanks everyone

No, I did not say that - I said you don't need the Fiio E5 because your D2 Boa is better, and you could use the headphone out before you resort to the E5.

Also DID YOU EVEN READ post #32?

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict
However, the D2 Boa via LOD will still do a respectable job and sound better than IEM right from the headphone out jack.

Mar 19, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #44 of 75
ok ok chill out. I went back and read the comment which brought me to another question: why would an imod with an LOD and an amp only sound a little better?

Thanks again for your help

Mar 19, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #45 of 75
Quote:

ok ok chill out. I went back and read the comment which brought me to another question: why would an imod with an LOD and an amp only sound a little better?

Thanks again for your help

An iMod with a small cap dock (LOD with hidden Blackgates) is a little better than a current generation non-iMod 6G classic or 3/4G Nano or iPhone 3G headphone out, but it's still as good as most high-end DAC/amps connected to a laptop USB. So, it's not bad.

When you use the iMod with a Vcap dock or Jensen Copper Foil cap dock the sound is much better, and it's closer to a $500-$1000 CDP or DAC (the big high quality DC blocking caps are more transparent and let more of the true sound through). I compared my iMod with Jensen Copper Foil big cap dock as a source vs my Apogee mini-DAC fed by Marantz CD5001, and they were hard to distinguish from each other as sources it was so good.

To clarify the quote below, I will add a comparison:
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict
The iPhone 3G LOD > amp sounds better than the iPod 5G LOD> amp, but I don't know about the first iPhone. My iMod > ALO iMod LOD > amp is a little better than the iPhone 3G LOD > amp as well.

That means iMod 5.5G/Vcap Dock/amp > iMod 5.5G/LOD/amp > iPhone 3G/LOD/amp which is > iPod 5.5G video/LOD/amp > iPod 6G classic/headphone out > iPod 5.5 video/headphone out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back