Westone 2 True-Fit IEM Appreciation & Impressions Thread...
Oct 13, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #361 of 441
Hi

Well using the westone 2's for day to day use (lucky that I can listen to music at work) and generally quite like them, but and its a big but the fit is still giving me a bit of hassle no matter what tips I use.  I can get a rock solid fit on my left ear every time almost without trying.  The right ear on the other hand is a real pain (sometimes literally!)to get right so I have a good seal.  I'm using modded triple flanges for isolation (relatively noisy office) with the triple cut down to two and the stalk trimmed a bit.  I've tried the normal triple flange (sticks to far out and doesn't seal) double flange with stalk trimmed (which doesn't seal either despite being rammed into the ear hole).  This also happens on the other supplied tips. Also tried complies AND shure olives. I really want to like these but its not easy atm.  Any suggestions for what I'm doing wrong?  Oh and any suggestions for alternatives in the same ball park area as the westone 2's if I do get fed up with them?

Cheers.

Oct 13, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #362 of 441

Quote:
Hi

Well using the westone 2's for day to day use (lucky that I can listen to music at work) and generally quite like them, but and its a big but the fit is still giving me a bit of hassle no matter what tips I use.  I can get a rock solid fit on my left ear every time almost without trying.  The right ear on the other hand is a real pain (sometimes literally!)to get right so I have a good seal.  I'm using modded triple flanges for isolation (relatively noisy office) with the triple cut down to two and the stalk trimmed a bit.  I've tried the normal triple flange (sticks to far out and doesn't seal) double flange with stalk trimmed (which doesn't seal either despite being rammed into the ear hole).  This also happens on the other supplied tips. Also tried complies AND shure olives. I really want to like these but its not easy atm.  Any suggestions for what I'm doing wrong?  Oh and any suggestions for alternatives in the same ball park area as the westone 2's if I do get fed up with them?

Cheers.

Hmm.. I would have suggested the Shure's and Comply's. Is it the depth of insertion giving you fits??  I started using the long Comply's myself, the larger of the two.  I get a great seal and isolation from them.  My right ear has given me issues in the past with silicon tips but with foams I usually don't have a problem.  The only other suggestion is to pull your ear lobe out and away from your head when inserting the tip.  That will open your canal.  Good luck, they really are great IEM's.

Oct 14, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #363 of 441
Sorry to rub it in but i've not had any fit problems with the w2's, in fact i'm using the stock silicone's at the moment and that's not due to a lack of available alternatives. Have you got any ety grey foamies? They work well for me on virtually any earphones they fit onto. Having a good fit in one ear while being unable to satisfy the other would probably make me think about using different tips in each ear, have you tried that?

Also if you still can't get a good fit, the alternatives I looked at before settling on the w2's were the e-q7, ck10, dba-02 and sm2, although I didn't try any of them.

Oct 14, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #364 of 441
Sorry to hear you are having trouble with the fit because you are missing out on some great sounds from the W2s.  I am like Marcus_C in that I have no trouble getting a fit with the supplied tips.  When I have had trouble with the fit with other iems, often the Sony Hybrids work well.  For the W2s you will need a spacer to make them fit.  I use the core from a Sure Olive, work fine.

Oct 20, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #365 of 441
Anybody else tried using sensorcom (alpine) double flange tips on the Westone 2? I want to confirm what I'm hearing with these. I'm loving the sound so far. It feels different.

Oct 20, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #367 of 441
I find them very good. The bass becomes punchier and the treble gets a little more sparkle. Not big difference, but noticeable. Guitars and vocals sounds very neutral. I'll give this more time.

Oct 21, 2010 at 7:26 AM Post #369 of 441
It's just amazing how tip and fit dependent iems are. The sensorcoms helped my sm3 open up in the highs and the lows loosens a little bit. The tips' effect on the bass of the W2 is more on the opposite, gave them more of that punch I think they needed. Anyway, good to know we have both iems Marcus_C.

Oct 21, 2010 at 10:52 AM Post #370 of 441

Quote:
I can well believe that, they seem fairly tip dependent, I tried some comply's I had with them and they didn't do anything for the sound for me, same with the ety tips i've tried. I just seem to get the best sound/fit out of the stock singles.

Yeah, the standard Comply's are ok, but they take a little off the top.  I prefer the olives over the standard comply's and I like the Long comply's (deeper seal) for a bit more isolation.  For whatever reason, I can't along with any of the silicon tips with these or the W3's. I may have to try the Sensorcom's that Airwax recommends. 

Oct 21, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #371 of 441
Besides getting a good seal, tips do make a difference in how the W2s sound.  I have tried several combinations and found that the stock single flange (large) works well and gives me the most bass.  Overall though I like the stock triple-flange cut down to a bi-flange, this gives me the best fit, seal, and balanced sound.

Oct 25, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #372 of 441
So I've had the chance to hear the W2 finally and they are quite nice sounding from the couple minutes that I heard. I've not put much time into it since in the mail came something of more interest to me but I should get the chance to do so later today.

Oct 25, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #373 of 441

Quote:
So I've had the chance to hear the W2 finally and they are quite nice sounding from the couple minutes that I heard. I've not put much time into it since in the mail came something of more interest to me but I should get the chance to do so later today.

What came in the mail @ rawrster ?
popcorn.gif

Oct 25, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #374 of 441
I got the Fischer Audio FA-003 headphones in the mail as well today which is something I was looking more forward to than these. The W2 seem to be close to my preferences from first listen but only around 5 minutes or so of listening time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back