Westone 2 True-Fit IEM Appreciation & Impressions Thread...
Aug 25, 2010 at 12:02 PM Post #346 of 441

I've always found the 2nd gen Touch to sound a little bright and aggressive (same with 4th gen Nano).  I would get a better source, or a decent amp to pair with it.  Maybe an iBasso T3 if you are on a budget, as it's more transparent than the T4 and still warm and punchy sounding so you don't need the bass boost.

Cheers for that. Any experiences with either the w2 and sansa clip plus or the fiio range of amps? fiiio e7 looks tempting at £60ish.

cheers

Aug 25, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #348 of 441
Well, here in the US the W2 is considerably more than the PFEs. But I owned both, and they are very different. I felt the PFEs performed best with an amp, but with the new green filters (bass boost), that may no longer be an issue. I would say the PFEs are excellent, and the W2s not worth the extra money. But both are good. In the end, I chose the Fischer DBAs over the W2s, but I know Larry (Headphoneaddict) feels otherwise. Anyway, good luck.

Aug 26, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #349 of 441

Quote:
Cheers for that. Any experiences with either the w2 and sansa clip plus or the fiio range of amps? fiiio e7 looks tempting at £60ish.

cheers

The W2 had a nice frequency response with the Fiio E5 but the amp lacked transparency and wasn't really an upgrade.  Haven't heard a clip+.

The iBasso T4 is better than E5 but still lacks some detail and transparency that with some phones like my ES3X and JH13Pro sounded worse than the iPhone 3GS headphone out.  The iBasso T3 was a good match for the W2 and it's even a small upgrade over my iPhone 3GS headphone out which I have always liked, with bigger soundstage and depth.

Quote:
Well, here in the US the W2 is considerably more than the PFEs. But I owned both, and they are very different. I felt the PFEs performed best with an amp, but with the new green filters (bass boost), that may no longer be an issue. I would say the PFEs are excellent, and the W2s not worth the extra money. But both are good. In the end, I chose the Fischer DBAs over the W2s, but I know Larry (Headphoneaddict) feels otherwise. Anyway, good luck.

I liked the PFE, but with grey filters they could sibilant at times, and with black filters they lost some transparency, detail and liveliness.  They worked best with a warm amp and grey filters for me, with a tone that reminded me of my Livewires T1 custom IEM.  I returned my 3rd pair after they cracked like the first two pairs, so I never heard them with a green filter.

The DBA-02 were very close to the W2 sound signature, but I think the W2 edged them out slightly in bass and warmth and soundstage size, while losing out on price.  I would pick the DBA-02 over the PFE, and if I was on a very tight budget I might settle for them instead of a W2, but I did prefer the W2.  I also think the W2 are a little smoother and more refined sounding than my Livewires T1 customs or the PFE.

Aug 26, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #350 of 441
My portable rig is a Rockboxed Clip+ and the Westone 2. I just adjust the bass a little, around 3-4db, and the treble around 2-3db, and everything would sound perfect for me. No need to use the FiiO E5 anymore. I tried that, but in my opinion, it doesn't really improve the sound that much.

Aug 29, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #353 of 441

Quote:
My portable rig is a Rockboxed Clip+ and the Westone 2. I just adjust the bass a little, around 3-4db, and the treble around 2-3db, and everything would sound perfect for me. No need to use the FiiO E5 anymore. I tried that, but in my opinion, it doesn't really improve the sound that much.

4-5 dB should be closing the Gap to the bass amount of the Westone um2.

if I adjust the Treble, even the 6kHz area, it gets too sharp, I am listening Music quiet loud, mostly at ca. 50-60% of the volume on any DAP, except low noise DAPs like my Sony A845, 25/30, sounds insane and Dangerous, but it is like the same noise level like 15-17/30 on the Sony A826. ca. 90-100 dB. yes, too loud common wise, but not too loud for me, it never bothers me. But sometime I reduce the Level to 15/30(A845) = 10/30 on A826(or any other Sony, I guess)...

Oct 5, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #354 of 441
I have recently joined the Westone 2 club and have to say I love them so far, they are comfortable, tiny, realistic, are very well built, are tiny and have far less of a microphonics problem than the hf5. I think I consider myself a fan of these now. I might post some impressions at some point when i've more time and less to do.

Oct 5, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #355 of 441

Quote:
I have recently joined the Westone 2 club and have to say I love them so far, they are comfortable, tiny, realistic, are very well built, are tiny and have far less of a microphonics problem than the hf5. I think I consider myself a fan of these now. I might post some impressions at some point when i've more time and less to do.

Welcome and enjoy.  They really are great and they step up nicely when amped. 

Oct 5, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #356 of 441
Glad to see that this thread is not dead.  I have had the Westone W2's for a little over a month now and I am enjoying them greatly.  They are better than anything I had before them by a large margin.  I feel that these are greatly overlooked when people are looking for iem's.  The W2's may not do everything the best but for me they do more things right than other iem's I have or have heard.  Let's give the W2's some love.

Oct 5, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #357 of 441
They did a good job, but i realised they didn't pack enough punch.

My New Denon 571's do a better job
smily_headphones1.gif

Although the clarity like the W2's aren't there, they are more...well me!
I let them go today for £137 incl PP + a full box set of comply P's....

RIP for me
smily_headphones1.gif

But again, nice to hear them, and nice to see people loving em!
Brings a smile to your face when people enjoy IEM's.

Oct 6, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #359 of 441

Quote:
Welcome and enjoy.  They really are great and they step up nicely when amped. 

I do have most of the parts for a mini3 sitting around somehwere, I might have to put it together when I have the time and see how they fare, having sold my full-size phones I might want them when not moving around occasionally.

Quote:
They did a good job, but i realised they didn't pack enough punch.

My New Denon 571's do a better job
smily_headphones1.gif

Although the clarity like the W2's aren't there, they are more...well me!
I let them go today for £137 incl PP + a full box set of comply P's....

RIP for me
smily_headphones1.gif

But again, nice to hear them, and nice to see people loving em!
Brings a smile to your face when people enjoy IEM's.

The phrase strokes for folks comes to mind here, I tried the c751's recently and din't get along at all, they were too bassy for my liking, it seemed to be rather wide of the mark in the upper-mid range and the cable was rather noisy, good price on selling the w2's though that's only £15 less than I paid new!

Oct 6, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #360 of 441

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus_C /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I do have most of the parts for a mini3 sitting around somehwere, I might have to put it together when I have the time and see how they fare, having sold my full-size phones I might want them when not moving around occasionally.

The phrase strokes for folks comes to mind here, I tried the c751's recently and din't get along at all, they were too bassy for my liking, it seemed to be rather wide of the mark in the upper-mid range and the cable was rather noisy, good price on selling the w2's though that's only £15 less than I paid new!

Stupid replying function...from head-fi....starting to piss me off (Tried 5x to reply in the white area, rather than the grey shaded area....wow....)
Anyway, in terms of selling price Marcus, i did in fact sell them for £130. More so, considering i put in a £18 set of comply tips in there (Pack of 10) that would make it around £112 for me.
I realise that you could have bought them around 2 weeks ago for £150, but saying that, my earphones were just as brand new.
Only thing is that the warranty has been "used" by 2 months and the phones them selves for a week? (As they got replaced)

In terms of the 571's, i realise they are very bassy (to my needs), and do lack that sort of clarity, in way that the mids and highs are hidden so to speak. But in reality, it depends on what you want:
Bass or mids/highs. Bass= 571's, high's / mids = W2's. Well from what iv'e tried.

Then again factoring price into this:
Cheapest you will find the W2's in the UK at least is £150/170
Cheapest you will find the 571's in the UK at least £50 / 70

Just about £100 difference, and almost a 200% price increase on the 571's. 
So you might think the W2's are good and what not, but compare the price range to their competitors...i feel like they are a little too expensive for what they offer.
At least that is what i thought.

I would place the W2's in the £100-120 price bracket, and not the £150-200 one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back