Westone 2 True-Fit IEM Appreciation & Impressions Thread...
Jun 23, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #331 of 441
Ok, thanks for your comments
smile_phones.gif

Aug 8, 2010 at 10:02 AM Post #332 of 441
If someone asked me exactly what i wanted in an iem what i would have said is exactly what these deliver!
I became the proud owner of these the other day and imo they are perfect.
From the bass to the mids to the treble there is nothing i would want changed, The bass extends low and i can pick out every note being played with no bloat at all, i can hear guitars crunching away and voices without a problem and lastly i can hear cymbals with an almost ety like clarity while never being too harsh.
What's more these do not sound like a ba driver as they are very dynamic sounding with tons of depth and are the most musical earphones i have ever heard bar none and yet they still deliver all the detail on top.
If i was to explain the sound i would call it a dynamic sounding er4 with a touch more bass with nearly the same amount of detail but presented in as i say a more dynamic fashion, Add to that the over the ear style with zero microphonics,brilliant isolation and confort on top i can honestly say thats all i ever wanted in an earphone.
To me the westone 2 is the perfect iem.
I have found my holy grail, search over.

Aug 8, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #333 of 441
I have both the RE-252 and the Westone 2 and although I really enjoyed the sound of the RE-252 once I tried the Westone 2 I have not listened to the RE-252. Again, we all hear differently so what is good to some may not be to others.

Aug 8, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #334 of 441
You both owe it to yourselves to try a pair of DBAs. I know HPA favors the W2s, but I owned them and never miss them at all after hearing the DBA-02s. I actually sold the W2s to finance some CK10s, and that was an improvement as well. The DBAs are also $50 or more less expensive. Just a suggestion.

Aug 8, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #336 of 441
Interesting. Well, you know my feelings on the SM3, so we have similar sound preferences in IEMs. I see one e-Q7 owner, rawrster, prefers the DBAs. At least I think he said that. And I sold my CK10s before I got the DBAs, but would not trade the Fischers for the ATs now. My main problem with the CK10s though was fit, not sound. I really did like them.

Aug 8, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #337 of 441
I wish I could try the W2. I would probably like their build better outside of the right angle plug since they are quite similar to my ES cable. I suspect I would like these very much. I do need a straight plug for my nano however. They seem quite similar to my tastes but price is high and probably not worth it for me considering a couple people have mentioned that they sound similar to my DBA-02.

@slaters70: I no longer own the e-Q7 as I sold them a couple days ago but don't really miss them. They were getting no use when I had my RE-Zero and Livewire Trips and now that I got my DBA-02 back the e-Q7 have no chance. It's not that they are bad they just don't suit my signature like the others. I did like the mids on the e-Q7 and the best I've heard of any universal I've heard. However I did have some issues with fit over longer listening sessions as their housings are a tiny bit too large at the largest diameter point so it would make my ears sore after a while.

Aug 8, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #338 of 441
Thanks for that. Someone else told me via PM he preferred the DBAs over the e-Q7 (he heard both, but owned neither). At least he said don't bother with the e-Q7s. I found the W2s pretty decent, but as you say, not worth the price and sometimes, on complex music, they sounded congested or something. Can't put my finger on it, but it bothered me. Yes, they are built a little better than the DBAs, but so far, I have had no durability issues with the DBAs (knocks on wood).

Aug 9, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #339 of 441

Aug 15, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #340 of 441
Right now I am p
off. Why? Just swopping some tips of the westone 2 and the damn tube came away from the main body of the shell. leaves me with a useless pair of iems. Is this sort of thing covered by guarantee? If so who do I contact being in europe (uk). Bit cursed when it comes to iems it seems. Had a pair of radiopaq iems where the glue had perished meaning the thing fell apart!

cheers

Aug 20, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #341 of 441
Best Thing you can do:

enhance the bass with an good EQ up to 5-6 dB(exactly what Clear Bass 2 does on my Sony A845) = W2 Slays, you will not waste a single second on remaining the UM2 Bass-Quantity.

that makes the W2 perfect for me, it fits perfectly for Pop and Black Music....Never too much!!!! we know that the W2 has got problems with "flat" recordings... don't worry, the W2 is never bassy or too bass driven, like the W3, just perfect amount of Bass(imho).

P.S. Don't tell me that the natural EQ delivers enough bass for any genre, THAT'S A LIE! it's good for most of the music, but you'll miss the feeling of the Beat on Pop and Black Music Recordings. Enhance the gooddamn bass and be happy.

Aug 24, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #342 of 441
Right got my replacement pair of w2's back (quick compliment to Iheadphones.co.uk, no hassles with them whatsoever)and reckon that the first pair I had was faulty.  On this set the cabling is much neater (there looked like fraying ends on both the headphone jack and earplugs)and fits better. 

Lack of bass did bother me (yes I now have a good seal) so I did what the poster above said, eq'd the bass up, which did make a difference!

So what I'm wondering now is is it the headphones showing up the source (source is second gen Ipod touch 32 gig, bit rate 192mp3 or better and yes I know that the eq/sound quality on a touch is crap) or is it the source showing up a shortcoming in the headphones?  Quite honestly if the westone 1 has less bass than the 2 god knows why anyone would buy it tbh.

Cheers.

Aug 25, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #343 of 441

Quote:
Right got my replacement pair of w2's back (quick compliment to Iheadphones.co.uk, no hassles with them whatsoever)and reckon that the first pair I had was faulty.  On this set the cabling is much neater (there looked like fraying ends on both the headphone jack and earplugs)and fits better. 

Lack of bass did bother me (yes I now have a good seal) so I did what the poster above said, eq'd the bass up, which did make a difference!

So what I'm wondering now is is it the headphones showing up the source (source is second gen Ipod touch 32 gig, bit rate 192mp3 or better and yes I know that the eq/sound quality on a touch is crap) or is it the source showing up a shortcoming in the headphones?  Quite honestly if the westone 1 has less bass than the 2 god knows why anyone would buy it tbh.

Cheers.

I've always found the 2nd gen Touch to sound a little bright and aggressive (same with 4th gen Nano).  I would get a better source, or a decent amp to pair with it.  Maybe an iBasso T3 if you are on a budget, as it's more transparent than the T4 and still warm and punchy sounding so you don't need the bass boost.

Aug 25, 2010 at 4:10 AM Post #344 of 441
Does anyone know which full size open headphones sound the most like the Westone 2? So far it's not the HD600, not the K701 and not AD700 from what I've owned

Aug 25, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #345 of 441
someone compared them to the HD650(both are not very sparkle in the highs, for him)

I am happy with the response of the highs, maybe because I have owned the um2 before, so the W2 is a huge step in that matter.

guys, you really don't have to be afraid that the bass is too wimpy with the W2, it all depends on your source or the EQ, the Sony DAPs deliver a lot of bass with the Clear Bass Option...

then the W2 has got as much bass as the UM2(ca. 5+6 dB enhanced on the W2), but different presentation of the Bass, the Um2 has got more weight in the punch(that's because of the different nature, the W2 is more balanced), but less bassguitar notes. Bassguitar and Drums clearly better with the W2. The sound of the guitar amazes me on the Um2, but technically better and refined on the W2, the voices are more accurate on the W2, on the um2 the voices are more forward, that's all. The W2 is the better allrounder while the Um2 rocks your socks.

all in all the W2 bass is better, the punch is only too light if you have owned the um2 before(and propably the in-your-face presentation is another reason why)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back