Westone 2 True-Fit IEM Appreciation & Impressions Thread...
Mar 29, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #287 of 441
Well had these for a couple of weeks now and really starting to like them. At first it was "theres no bass!", then after some listening there was bass but it wasn't the typical muddy bass of the cx300's or whatever. The best word that I can use to describe these is "clear". It's like the difference between looking through a clean window and a dirty one. However all is not well (though nothing unsolvable, just more expense sadly). I'd bought these primarily to listen to at work. Had the first whoopsie today. Whilst I was looking at my monitor someone was stood to my left asking me a question. Didn't hear a thing (which whilst nice anyway)so had a little struggle taking them out (using the biflange). I also don't have confidence in these things lasting with daily wear and tear. So these are going to be my home phones whilst I look for something that isolates nearly as well but is a bit easier to take in and out in a hurry (which I think sadly negates customs).

These are my first (and probably last for a long while)serious pair of iems over a £100 and very pleased with them.

Cheers.

Mar 29, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #289 of 441
I can take mine out quickly, I just grasp the top and bottom of the monitor and kind of wedge my thumb in underneath the monitor to create a gap, and pull them out. They take no longer to take out than any other IEM for me.

Mar 30, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #290 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the treble is about even and the soundstage is a bit larger on W3.

I don't know, maybe it's the fit, but I never hear the huge soundstage of W3, W2 is much spacier for me due to the laid back bass.

Mar 30, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #291 of 441
I'm considering purchasing the w2s having owned the PFE and IE8. PFE was bass shy, but quite nice when amped, and the IE8 is good, but too warm for my taste (plus comfort/isolation issues).

Considering they are £100 cheaper than the um3x/w3 in the UK, do you think they are worth the purchase, or worth saving for the um3x? I listen to a very wide variety of music, so probably the neutrality of the w2s will be a good midpoint between the IE8/PFE?

Mar 30, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #292 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by syn_fx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm considering purchasing the w2s having owned the PFE and IE8. PFE was bass shy, but quite nice when amped, and the IE8 is good, but too warm for my taste (plus comfort/isolation issues).

Considering they are £100 cheaper than the um3x/w3 in the UK, do you think they are worth the purchase, or worth saving for the um3x? I listen to a very wide variety of music, so probably the neutrality of the w2s will be a good midpoint between the IE8/PFE?

I listened to a wide variety of music(Classical, Folk, Hard Rock) and I think the W2's are great for all my music. I wouldn't call these bass shy, there just very neutral which I like. If a song has a lot of bass, you'll hear and feel it though
icon10.gif

Mar 30, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #293 of 441
Quote:

From my memory of the PFE, the W2 will be similar to a PFE but with a nice bump in the bass, a little more warmth than PFE (less than IE8), and without the sibilance you can get with PFE/grey filters. The UM3X will have more bass than W2 and be more forward in the mids (from memory), which all evened out nicely with my UM56 custom tips.

I can't say that I prefer the W2 to the UM3X, because I haven't compared them directly, but I do prefer the W2 over the PFE, and the W3 over the W2. I would really need to hear the UM3X again to decide how I like it vs the W2, but when I compared the UM3X to W3 last October I picked the W3 to replace the pair I'd lost.

Mar 30, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #294 of 441
Yep, I've had pangs for the PFE ever since purchasing the IE8 and eventually realising that they were too warm...

So looks like the w2s are what I'm looking for then - I will probably go ahead with them, and then eventually check out the w3 and um3x. The w2's are just very good value over here in the UK compared to the w3 and um3x, which seems to suffer from pretty heavy mark-up...

Thanks for the comparison!

Mar 31, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #295 of 441

Apr 1, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #298 of 441
Quote:

Sorry for the double post, has anyone tried these with Shure olives, and if so what are your impressions?

I have and they are not as comfortable as comply foam tips. With my ears, I get a better bass response with the olives buy they do mute the highs a bit. Excellent isolation.

Apr 11, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #300 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From my memory of the PFE, the W2 will be similar to a PFE but with a nice bump in the bass, a little more warmth than PFE (less than IE8), and without the sibilance you can get with PFE/grey filters. The UM3X will have more bass than W2 and be more forward in the mids (from memory), which all evened out nicely with my UM56 custom tips.

I can't say that I prefer the W2 to the UM3X, because I haven't compared them directly, but I do prefer the W2 over the PFE, and the W3 over the W2. I would really need to hear the UM3X again to decide how I like it vs the W2, but when I compared the UM3X to W3 last October I picked the W3 to replace the pair I'd lost.

from bold one thats means the W2 got less/no sibilance than the PFE?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back