Went to the Qualia store on Wednesday...
Dec 8, 2004 at 8:37 PM Post #166 of 209
No word yet I'm afraid.

Dec 8, 2004 at 8:56 PM Post #167 of 209
hmm, might have to ask my aunt in tokyo to sneak me some from japan on her next trip to the states
biggrin.gif

Dec 9, 2004 at 3:24 AM Post #168 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by DenTing
hmm, might have to ask my aunt in tokyo to sneak me some from japan on her next trip to the states
biggrin.gif

If you do...you'll have a lot of new best friends
biggrin.gif

Dec 9, 2004 at 4:23 PM Post #169 of 209
The new sony headphones will be released in the US by July 05. Also not sure if this was mentioned earlier but the new headphones are a closed design not open like the 010.

Dec 9, 2004 at 5:02 PM Post #170 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundmania
The new sony headphones will be released in the US by July 05. Also not sure if this was mentioned earlier but the new headphones are a closed design not open like the 010.

All three are? I had heard just one was supposed to be a closed design.

BTW, how does that work, they don't look any different in the pictures and they look open to me but then I haven't had first hand experience with the actual Qualia design.

Dec 9, 2004 at 5:10 PM Post #171 of 209
HMM! Thanks for the update Soundmania! So if they carry any of the detail of the Qualia at all, but aren't WAY open like the Qualia is, i can see this being more consumer friendly at those price points...

Dec 9, 2004 at 5:19 PM Post #172 of 209
I've been lurking in the Qualia corner for a while now. I went for a 30-minute listen at the Qualia store a couple of days before the first head-fi group outing last August and experienced all the bad vibes I've been reading about here: a problem with sizing (medium was too small and large was too big— I think the medium would work if I got that 1/2 inch increase from the adjusting screws that no one knew about then), therefore no bass, listening straight out of the Sony SACD player w/o an amp, and no burn-in. (Gee, no wonder I was underwhelmed.) But I knew from the incredible detail and separation of instruments that the potential for true greatness was there.

Thank you guys for shedding light on all this. I'd love to do the informed Qualia listen at a mini-meet, but you're all booked up and that's not a great date for me anyway; I'd like to book for round II, however.

BTW Aaron, how's the Blue Floyd?
600smile.gif

Dec 9, 2004 at 6:04 PM Post #174 of 209
They carry two - the Qualia 010, a full sized open dynamic headphone, one in each of the 3 sizes, and then some qualia buds that go with the MD player they have - not bad buds, actually.

Dec 9, 2004 at 6:10 PM Post #175 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
They carry two - the Qualia 010, a full sized open dynamic headphone, one in each of the 3 sizes, and then some qualia buds that go with the MD player they have - not bad buds, actually.

Did you get a chance to tryout the earbuds (MDR-EXQ1)? How are they and how much do they cost? Is it possible to buy them?

Dec 9, 2004 at 9:22 PM Post #176 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by dave-the-rave

BTW Aaron, how's the Blue Floyd?
600smile.gif

Dave,
Funny you should say that, I hadn't listened to them in a while, and I just gave them 3 rotations each, this weekend.

Missed you at the last meet.

Dec 10, 2004 at 2:57 AM Post #178 of 209
I wish they had a Qualia store in Tampa, FL.
tongue.gif

Dec 19, 2004 at 3:49 PM Post #179 of 209
After almost 200 hours with the Qualias, I have to say I am more impressed than ever. I have been switching off between the R-10's and the 010's, and the Qualias are definitely winning. The soundstage is cleaner and less obstructed, the instruments have more clarity and individualism. The bass isn't as strong as with the R-10's, but as with the Omega II's, it is more realistic and clean. The only way I can descibe it, is the difference between listening to your car stereo at low volumes with the loudness button on, to improve the bass, instead of using flat response and adding more wattage (volume). The R-10's is like using the loudness button, and the Qualia's bass is improved with no alterations, just a little more current.

I have listened through the Maestro, and the G08....and 2 different phono stages, through the SR-71, and have had equally enjoyable listening experiences. I also used my SACD output, hooked up to an SR-71, through the Qualias, and that is the setup that has given me the greatest joy, and highest sound quality.
I have used an A.N.T. Amber, that I borrowed from Jahn, directly hooked up to the G08, and didn't yield results that were as favorable.

There was a lack of improvement, in the headphones, between 120 and 160 hours, and then, there was a giant leap, with a slight bit of improvement around 180.

I'm not sure if they are going to improve any more...but I will be having fun finding out. Keep you posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back