Went to the Qualia store on Wednesday...
Dec 6, 2004 at 5:26 PM Post #136 of 209
Soundmania, I believe the Japan Qualia Store used non-Sony components to show off the Qualia - for products that they don't manufacture anyhow. In this respect, there ain't no shame in getting the trickiest tricked out headphone amp in existence which matches perfectly with the characteristics of the Sony SACD player you use there. Most receivers, Sony or otherwise, just won't power the Qualias they way they deserve I believe - and that holds especially true for just listening out of the headphone jack of the SACD player.

Others are more qualified than I to suggest the perfect amp to go with the Qualia and SACD source, but I wouldn't worry about the amp detracting from the sales of your Sony products - after all, Sony isn't in the Headphone Amp business...yet!

(BTW let it be said that it's nice to have a Sony rep on the boards finally - welcome to Head-fi and sorry about our wallets!)

Dec 6, 2004 at 5:31 PM Post #137 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundmania
After reading all your posts I learned two things. First I need to get more burn time on all the 010 that are displayed and secondly I need to upgrade the gear that the headphones are played on.
I have bought this up with the QUALIA team and we are looking at options on how to get the best sound out of the 010. If you have any recommendations I can pass it on (eg. Sound system, SACD player, etc.) Also if you would like to schedule an appointment for a hands on demonstration please email me.

We definitely need a 010 smiley.

It's a historical moment. A large manufacturer of headphones finally makes interest in the opinion of the headphone community!

I hope that's only the beginning and we could see Sony (or Sony Qualia) as Head-Fi's sponsor. May be
wink.gif

Dec 6, 2004 at 6:08 PM Post #138 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Soundmania, I believe the Japan Qualia Store used non-Sony components to show off the Qualia - for products that they don't manufacture anyhow. In this respect, there ain't no shame in getting the trickiest tricked out headphone amp in existence which matches perfectly with the characteristics of the Sony SACD player you use there. Most receivers, Sony or otherwise, just won't power the Qualias they way they deserve I believe - and that holds especially true for just listening out of the headphone jack of the SACD player.

Others are more qualified than I to suggest the perfect amp to go with the Qualia and SACD source, but I wouldn't worry about the amp detracting from the sales of your Sony products - after all, Sony isn't in the Headphone Amp business...yet!

(BTW let it be said that it's nice to have a Sony rep on the boards finally - welcome to Head-fi and sorry about our wallets!)

Jahn -- and Soundmania:

Actually, though Sony isn't in the headamp business yet, they do produce a system designed to match the Q010 -- or so I've heard 2nd hand (see link below):

When Josh Kim was at Qualia NYC, he told me that available in Japan only is the Qualia 007 CD player/amp/speakers system -- which, he said, Sony would not export to the US because the speakers that are an integral part of the system "are carved from a block of exotic wood" and Sony feels they would not survive export to the US (and elsewhere?). He couldn't answer if it was due to drastically different humidity in various parts of the US, or transport problems, or...? Haven't visited various parts of Japan a number of times, during certain seasons it is prone to such intense and pervasive humidity (which I've not experienced here, even in Louisiana or Mississippi) that having dry cleaned my suit the day I flew out, I unpacked it on arriving home in NYC to find that it smelled mildewed! Perhaps wood from that climate would crack in the dry areas of the US.

The 007 is not even accessible via the Qualia US site, but here is a Japanese link (click on the photo of the 007 player and there are 3 pages of photos and notes in Japanese, including the small speakers):

Qualia Japan - Model 007 CD transport/amp/speakers

Perhaps Soundmania can ascertain whether or not they are in the Tokyo showroom. It would seem to me that even with the possibility of checking or splitting wood, it's far better to present the Q010 with the 007 system than without it. Sony could certainly produce a version for export which has an environmentally-flexible enclosure.

Of course, I have no experience of the performance or sound quality of the 007, but I'd be very interested to know more about it.

If -- as Nik has enthusiastic declared -- the Rudistor RP010 is a great match, that may be worth investigating, or perhaps the new RP33dualmono (1,300USD) or RP6-DQ(1,900.00USD) "a complete new project in the RP family, it shares the basic concepts with the RP5 but it is based on a completly new design, developed to perfectly join with new SONY QUALIA 010 headphone and to all the new future hi sensitive family of headphones."

A good comparative analysis of user reviews (and maybe manufacturers' comments) of Q010-synergistic amps is in order. I expect there'll be more comments on this subject after the January Q010 mini-meet at immbiker's place (a variety of top components should be there).

Cheery Pre-Holiday Vibes from
Peter
k1000smile.gif
{we need Q010 AND good-old K501 smileys}

Dec 6, 2004 at 6:24 PM Post #139 of 209
Dec 6, 2004 at 6:35 PM Post #140 of 209
The easiest thing for them to do is just not send the speakers over but just the rest of the unit
wink.gif

Dec 6, 2004 at 6:58 PM Post #142 of 209
Absolutely. Josh said they were not willing to do that -- at that time, but things change, so...

Now, I wonder why they use the SACD/Luxman rather than the 007? Have they pulled/scratched the 007 for now? Was it a less than successful match for the Q010? What happened?

Soundmania -- do you have an answer to this, or can you get one?

Dec 6, 2004 at 7:46 PM Post #143 of 209
Please remember, I am here in an unofficial capacity. I will try to answer as much as I can but not everything can be mentioned.
I am here because I love discussing my passion which is music and headphones. So please remember I will help as much as I can but I am here as a member and in no official capacity with any manufacturer.

Dec 6, 2004 at 8:18 PM Post #144 of 209
Soundmania - Thanks for the caveat.

Dec 6, 2004 at 8:39 PM Post #145 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundmania
Please remember, I am here in an unofficial capacity. I will try to answer as much as I can but not everything can be mentioned.
I am here because I love discussing my passion which is music and headphones. So please remember I will help as much as I can but I am here as a member and in no official capacity with any manufacturer.

Perfect disclaimer!
cool.gif
Welcome to the forum as a civilian.

Dec 6, 2004 at 9:18 PM Post #146 of 209
In which case as a civilian, welcome to head-fi, sorry about Your wallet! And swing by a meet sometime, you'll be able to check out some amazing headphone gear.

Dec 6, 2004 at 9:55 PM Post #147 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
The English word for pizza is: bakeddoughwithmtomatoesaucespicesandcheeseontop

The English word for lasagna is: layersofpastameatcheesetomatoesandspicesbakedinthe ovenuntilhotandbubbly

What is the Italian word for brownies?
tongue.gif

Hahahahaha.......*sniff.....

Dec 6, 2004 at 9:55 PM Post #148 of 209
Well after hearing all that gear there that we could put together that day, we need a Rudistor R010 there definitelly or anything similar, according to at least a few members it is the only amp that make it justice, we will try the RP33, or at least the RP31 soon, lets see if it make it sing...till now it was only mumbling in any setup....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2004 at 11:04 PM Post #149 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee
Qualia Japan - Model 007 CD transport/amp/speakers

Perhaps Soundmania can ascertain whether or not they are in the Tokyo showroom.

when I listened to the 010 at the Tokyo Qualia store in June it was with the headphone out of the 007, so they did have that combo at least for a while. I don't know what the current setup is at the store (maybe they decided to create a dedicated headphone setup rather than use the room that I believe was for auditioning the 007 system), but I will be visiting Japan within the year and will hopefully be able to make a few trips to the store to check the 010 out again, and possibly purchase it.

Dec 6, 2004 at 11:50 PM Post #150 of 209
ayt999 -

Are you able to provide any comments here about your experience hearing the 010 via the 007 system, either that experience by itself or related to any other 010 auditioning you might have had with other systems -- if you've had the opportunity?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back