Went to the Qualia store on Wednesday...
Dec 19, 2004 at 6:02 PM Post #181 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
After almost 200 hours with the Qualias, I have to say I am more impressed than ever. I have been switching off between the R-10's and the 010's, and the Qualias are definitely winning. The soundstage is cleaner and less obstructed, the instruments have more clarity and individualism. The bass isn't as strong as with the R-10's, but as with the Omega II's, it is more realistic and clean. The only way I can descibe it, is the difference between listening to your car stereo at low volumes with the loudness button on, to improve the bass, instead of using flat response and adding more wattage (volume). The R-10's is like using the loudness button, and the Qualia's bass is improved with no alterations, just a little more current.

I have listened through the Maestro, and the G08....and 2 different phono stages, through the SR-71, and have had equally enjoyable listening experiences. I also used my SACD output, hooked up to an SR-71, through the Qualias, and that is the setup that has given me the greatest joy, and highest sound quality.
I have used an A.N.T. Amber, that I borrowed from Jahn, directly hooked up to the G08, and didn't yield results that were as favorable.

There was a lack of improvement, in the headphones, between 120 and 160 hours, and then, there was a giant leap, with a slight bit of improvement around 180.

I'm not sure if they are going to improve any more...but I will be having fun finding out. Keep you posted.

That is Ok Aaron, but just keep the R-10 around, OK???? Another thing I heard the SR71 and I was not impressed at all, so if you sya that, I need to try it again, then, in fact my experience was a short listening (but enough to conlcude that it was not my cup of tea...) But if you say that this setup is so good, good, just wait then until you hear the RP31 or the RP33, both will beat the dust of that setup (well at least the RP31 does, I will tell you when I heard the RP33 next week) the soundstage will be hard to beat, and the separation of instruments and positioning is incredible....Rudi is very good in voicing amps for specific cans, the Rp31 sounds incredible good with the CD3000, and if he says that iti s good with the Qualias and also Nik states that, I trust them, man..............of course, at different price points, but are you sure the SR-71 sounded more enjoyable than the Maestro with the Qualias? My impression was all the opposite, even while tube amps are not my cup of tea neither, well I also liked better the R-10 than the Qualia, so no strange at all (that Qualia definitally needed more burning time)
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Dec 19, 2004 at 7:39 PM Post #182 of 209
The problem with the Maestro, is that it distorts with the R-10's in the bass region, at anything other than low volume, so it is hard to do a comparison, with the 2 cans, using the Maestro. The Qualias and HD600's don't exhibit that problem.
Mikhail has a fix for this, and later models don't have this problem (I bought his first prototype). He told me to send the Maestro to him, and he say he would gladly remedy the problem, and I am also going to upgrade the volume pot.
I just have to send it next week, so I get it back in time for the meet.
Perhaps my impressions will change after the mod.

Dec 19, 2004 at 7:41 PM Post #183 of 209
Quote:

But if you say that this setup is so good, good, just wait then until you hear the RP31 or the RP33, both will beat the dust of that setup (well at least the RP31 does, I will tell you when I heard the RP33 next week) the soundstage will be hard to beat, and the separation of instruments and positioning is incredible....Rudi is very good in voicing amps for specific cans

I am looking forward to hearing Rudi's amps.

Dec 19, 2004 at 7:45 PM Post #184 of 209
Hmm! Or maybe it's true what Nik says, that Solid state is just better for the Qualia than a tube amp for some reason. An SR-71 is kickin' the Maestro? Yikes. As I always prefer my Solo to my SR-71, I'd love to have the Solo hooked into that SACD output of yours (with your interconnects of course, mine are either magwires or audioquest or some such) and see how they'll do with some nicely burned in Qualias. Oh and of course have "Pinkie" go up against the Italian Stallions of Rudi's stables.

Dec 19, 2004 at 7:48 PM Post #185 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
After almost 200 hours with the Qualias, I have to say I am more impressed than ever. I have been switching off between the R-10's and the 010's, and the Qualias are definitely winning. The soundstage is cleaner and less obstructed, the instruments have more clarity and individualism. The bass isn't as strong as with the R-10's, but as with the Omega II's, it is more realistic and clean. The only way I can descibe it, is the difference between listening to your car stereo at low volumes with the loudness button on, to improve the bass, instead of using flat response and adding more wattage (volume). The R-10's is like using the loudness button, and the Qualia's bass is improved with no alterations, just a little more current.

I have listened through the Maestro, and the G08....and 2 different phono stages, through the SR-71, and have had equally enjoyable listening experiences. I also used my SACD output, hooked up to an SR-71, through the Qualias, and that is the setup that has given me the greatest joy, and highest sound quality.
I have used an A.N.T. Amber, that I borrowed from Jahn, directly hooked up to the G08, and didn't yield results that were as favorable.

There was a lack of improvement, in the headphones, between 120 and 160 hours, and then, there was a giant leap, with a slight bit of improvement around 180.

I'm not sure if they are going to improve any more...but I will be having fun finding out. Keep you posted.

I like a lot this description, I think one of the most clear for the differents between the R10 and the Qualia 010.

Best!
Nicola

Dec 19, 2004 at 7:50 PM Post #186 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
That is Ok Aaron, but just keep the R-10 around, OK???? Another thing I heard the SR71 and I was not impressed at all, so if you sya that, I need to try it again, then, in fact my experience was a short listening (but enough to conlcude that it was not my cup of tea...) But if you say that this setup is so good, good, just wait then until you hear the RP31 or the RP33, both will beat the dust of that setup (well at least the RP31 does, I will tell you when I heard the RP33 next week) the soundstage will be hard to beat, and the separation of instruments and positioning is incredible....Rudi is very good in voicing amps for specific cans, the Rp31 sounds incredible good with the CD3000, and if he says that iti s good with the Qualias and also Nik states that, I trust them, man..............of course, at different price points, but are you sure the SR-71 sounded more enjoyable than the Maestro with the Qualias? My impression was all the opposite, even while tube amps are not my cup of tea neither, well I also liked better the R-10 than the Qualia, so no strange at all (that Qualia definitally needed more burning time)
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I cannot understand how you can prefer the SS amps to the tubes, and at the same time the R10 to the Qualia 010 ???

(R10=tubes ; Qualia 010=SS) (IME).

(But taste are tastes...)

Best!
Nicola

Dec 19, 2004 at 7:51 PM Post #187 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
I like a lot this description, I think one of the most clear for the differents between the R10 and the Qualia 010.

Best!
Nicola

Some of us, me included, are not accuracy and neutrality freaks, as you sems to be, Nik.....
biggrin.gif
....so there is still a posibility, that even while the Qualias are more accurate, we like the euphonic seductive sound of the R-10, let's see, but definitelly if it is not the best I have heard, is among them for sure.....
3000smile.gif

Dec 19, 2004 at 7:54 PM Post #188 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
Some of us, me included, are not accuracy and neutrality freaks, as you sems to be, Nik.....
biggrin.gif
....so there is still a posibility, that even while the Qualias are more accurate, we like the euphonic seductive sound of the R-10, let's see, but definitelly if it is not the best I have heard, is among them for sure.....
3000smile.gif

After the Qualia I think that the most seductive sound is the most neutral !!! The original event in the recroding is the most seductive experience for me...

Best!
Nicola

Dec 19, 2004 at 7:54 PM Post #189 of 209
I still think one of the best combos I've heard was the R10 with The Stealth. A tube amp with soild state signature. Awesome with the R10.

Dec 19, 2004 at 8:00 PM Post #190 of 209
I still think that the R10/Angstrom two box was one of the best combo I had, but not at the same level of "perfection" as I can have today with the Qualia/RP010.

... Yesterday Rudi told me a very good think, he bought a new laboratory instrument (higest quality) for some datas of the amps he do... well, my RP010 has an incredible NF valor less than 105db !!! (Totaly silend and dead...). I can hear the output of my player when in the first seconds they are stabilzing...

Best!
Nicola

Dec 19, 2004 at 8:07 PM Post #191 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
After the Qualia I think that the most seductive sound is the most neutral !!! The original event in the recroding is the most seductive experience for me...

Best!
Nicola

Sorry to have another opinion and maybe disagree with you a little bit, but according to my short experience, accurate gear tend to sound sometimes cold and analytic, I don't know if this will be the case of the Qualias, I will hear them again fully broken in this time, pretty soon, but remember that the ones we heard were not fully broken in, but in any case I found them not seductive at all....for my taste...

BTW I do not feel the R-10 sounding like tubes at all, the Qualia will remind maybe more to you a SS sound, or better, a more capable headphone, for the new comming hi-resolution formats, but the R-10 is definitelly not that sirupy/tubey sounding headphone at all, and the RP-010 IIRC is a SS amp right? So you also agree with me on that the tubes are not needed to recreate the seduction or euphony on the music, right? You know now, that you can get a very good sound out of a SS amp.....well that happen to me, I feel the tube gear thing of the past (a very personal opinion, and nothing against them, I feel tham, very good sounding old gear) OTOH good tubes are hard to find, and wear over time, add all this, and I will get anyday a good SS amp instead....
rolleyes.gif

Dec 19, 2004 at 8:08 PM Post #192 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
I still think that the R10/Angstrom two box was one of the best combo I had, but not at the same level of "perfection" as I can have today with the Qualia/RP010.

... Yesterday Rudi told me a very good think, he bought a new laboratory instrument (higest quality) for some datas of the amps he do... well, my RP010 has an incredible NF valor less than 105db !!! (Totaly silend and dead...). I can hear the output of my player when in the first seconds they are stabilzing...

Best!
Nicola

it sounds like it's time for a new source...
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 19, 2004 at 8:49 PM Post #193 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
it sounds like it's time for a new source...
evil_smiley.gif

A new source???
confused.gif
You mean replace his Sondek CD12? I don't think so.

Dec 19, 2004 at 8:56 PM Post #194 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
I still think one of the best combos I've heard was the R10 with The Stealth. A tube amp with soild state signature. Awesome with the R10.

I am really hoping that if lan can't make it, we can borrow his Stealth. I have never really spent a lot of time with one, and I obviously have not heard them with the 010's.

Quote:

As I always prefer my Solo to my SR-71, I'd love to have the Solo hooked into that SACD output of yours (with your interconnects of course, mine are either magwires or audioquest or some such) and see how they'll do with some nicely burned in Qualias.

I was using a Kimber 8" mini to RCA for the SACD output to the SR-71.
As of this weekend I have a brand new cable from Larry (Xanadu777), that I put 12 hours on yesterday.
I'm not sure my interconnects would be better than yours, James.

Dec 19, 2004 at 11:08 PM Post #195 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik

Best!
Nicola

Ciao!
Potresti spiegare in inglese che sono tuo fratello e che ogni tanto vorrei entrare nel forum....di pure che sto aspettando la sa5000 e che probabilmente venderò la cd3000....se ovviamente la sa5000 sarà meglio.
Grazie!
Ciao
Interverrò poco, più per leggere che per scrivere. Quando scriverò magari mi quoterai per tradurre....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back