Wells Audio Milo - Impressions And Discussion Thread
Feb 7, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #196 of 1,022
mwhals, Hansotek, grizzlybeast, etc...

You guys suck. I blame you for this.

That is all.

Carry on.

(Putting my Milo order in tomorrow, hopefully. The Jotunheim is good with the Eikon, but I want great.)

It is going to take me a while to save for a DAC upgrade. Have Bifrost MB as a hold me over. Any suggestions for a good Milo/Eikon pairing?

Thanks guys.

You bastards. LOL

Resistance is futile. :)

Feb 7, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #197 of 1,022
ughghg...I am still back and forth with this thing...make it stop. 

It has too much gain and I want to know how black the background is. I want grainless, layered, refined, and BLACK. 

Does anyone have any comments on those aspects?

It is grainless
Music is layered
It's is refined sounding
It is blackity black

I have the 12 db attenuation with Khozmo attenuator. I have the Hifiman HE-6 and LCD-4. The Milo drives them both with ease and louder than I personally can listen to.
This also allows me to have some play with the volume control when using more efficient headphones.

Feb 7, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #198 of 1,022
If there's more impressions with 12dB and HE-6, having enough gain, they're more than welcome.
I'm 85% sold as it is :p

I know that I chimed in on this earlier but right now with my iPad at max volume streaming Tidal HiFi, I cannot listen beyond the 12 o'clock position with my LCD-4! With my He-6 it would be at approximately the 1 o'clock position maybe 2 o'clock at most! This is for the loudest I could ever tolerate for up to a maybe a minute or so. My normal listening level is more like the 10 o'clock for the LCD-4 and 11 or 12 o'clock for for he6. These are my most difficult to drive headphones.

I'm using the Dac out from my Burson CV2+ headphone amp. Tomorrow I will have the new Oppo Sonica Dac.
I will test it with both fixed level and variable level out and post here to let you know if volume levels as I stated change.

Feb 7, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #199 of 1,022
Anyone thought about putting a preamp like the Saga in front of this instead of getting the attenuation option? (I already have a saga, so I thought I'd ask.) Set it to half volume, and control volume on the Milo. Thoughts on how that would end up sounding?

Feb 7, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #201 of 1,022
HE-9 vs Milo 

thats the thought right now....

Well, I've heard the Master 9 on several occasions.. It's an awesome sounding amp. Smooth and authoritive. If auditory memory serve, I would give the Milo the edge for the same reasons plus that extra something that it has. Both very powerful.

Feb 7, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #202 of 1,022
HE-9 vs Milo 

thats the thought right now....

Three year warranty with the Milo and a USA company instead of foreign. This is advantageous if warranty work is needed due to not having to ship it overseas.

Feb 7, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #204 of 1,022
Anyone thought about putting a preamp like the Saga in front of this instead of getting the attenuation option? (I already have a saga, so I thought I'd ask.) Set it to half volume, and control volume on the Milo. Thoughts on how that would end up sounding?

I was thinking of a similar setup but instead would use an iFi iTube(2) as a preamp.

That could also provide the more hybrid sound I prefer but, assuming I'm able to order a Milo, I'd probably try it first without any preamp. Mr. Wells mentioned (some pages back I think) that distortion can cause listening fatigue. Tubes can mask unwanted distortions hence why I like them so I'm very interested to hear an amp like the Milo which is designed for almost no distortion.

Who knows, maybe I won't need any tubes......

EDIT: I found the post:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/820424/wells-audio-milo-impressions-and-discussion-thread/105#post_13195741

Hifi59-I'm glad you are enjoying the new Milo and you should continue to be surprised and thrilled over the remaining 160 hours as the Milo marches towards ultimate burn in. It will get deeper, clearer and smoother until the final real magic at 200 hours. What you describe as a possible slight rolled treble is actually the lack of distortion you and many other have come to consider detailed transients. Real life has no sizzle or sibilance why should recordings. You are actually hearing natural detail. If you listen very closely everything is there and nothing is missing but harshness, sizzle, edginess, peakiness and graininess. It is distortion that causes listener fatigue when the brain can no longer compensate and protect you against the distortion. The tube like sound signature is actually more a case of low noise and distortions along with parts chosen for their naturalness and musicality. Most solid state designs use a lot of industrial grade parts that usually impart a dry and grainy signature without sweetness and richness. I thank you for sharing your impressions with the public and I am very happy you are enjoying the Milo.

Jeff Wells

Feb 8, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #205 of 1,022
I know that I chimed in on this earlier but right now with my iPad at max volume streaming Tidal HiFi, I cannot listen beyond the 12 o'clock position with my LCD-4! With my He-6 it would be at approximately the 1 o'clock position maybe 2 o'clock at most! This is for the loudest I could ever tolerate for up to a maybe a minute or so. My normal listening level is more like the 10 o'clock for the LCD-4 and 11 or 12 o'clock for for he6. These are my most difficult to drive headphones.

I'm using the Dac out from my Burson CV2+ headphone amp. Tomorrow I will have the new Oppo Sonica Dac.
I will test it with both fixed level and variable level out and post here to let you know if volume levels as I stated change.

Thanks for your continuous input, I'm happy with any tidbits!
The purchase just seems to get closer and closer.

Feb 8, 2017 at 1:44 AM Post #207 of 1,022
Three year warranty with the Milo and a USA company instead of foreign. This is advantageous if warranty work is needed due to not having to ship it overseas.

Living in Europe has its disadvantages, stuck with VAT and customs fees, every time.
Playing it "safer" might support a bias for a US manufactured products in general, which is why any QC/reliability issues are even more important, for me at least.

Feb 8, 2017 at 1:47 AM Post #208 of 1,022
The Milo impressed me greatly when I heard it at Can Jam NYC 2017.  It sounded so good and so right, just beautiful.  Bass, mids and highs where in perfect balance.  It has a nice musical tone.  Full bodied, not thin sounding.  I like it better than tube amps.  If you are on the fence about getting the Milo, just get it.  It is that good!

Bugs

Feb 8, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #209 of 1,022
  The Milo impressed me greatly when I heard it at Can Jam NYC 2017.  It sounded so good and so right, just beautiful.  Bass, mids and highs where in perfect balance.  It has a nice musical tone.  Full bodied, not thin sounding.  I like it better than tube amps.  If you are on the fence about getting the Milo, just get it.  It is that good!

Bugs

Gotta pop in and say I agree with everything you said here. The Milo is awesome! 

Feb 9, 2017 at 3:36 AM Post #210 of 1,022
I don't know about the Milo, but a headphone like the Kennerton Vali (quite sensitive) is well into the audible noise floor of the Enigma. Worth checking with Jeff how the Milo plays with sensitive headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back