Wells Audio Milo - Impressions And Discussion Thread
Feb 11, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #227 of 1,022
Hhmm....in the CV2+, is it the Dac or the Amp that contributes more to the energetic Burson house sound? I am wondering if the sound coming out from your Milo inherits some of the Burson sound (since you're using the Burson Dac Out). 

The energy from Burson is definitely from th amp! I previously owned the Burson Soloist amp without Dac and it had the classic Burson somewhat forward, energetic sound. The CV2+ just refined that sound a bit and pulled back the energy just a tad and it also has even less grain. Having used the Dac in the CV2+, I now use the Oppo Sonic Dac that was just released. There is very little difference between the 2 dacs. Maybe a bit less glare and a touch more depth and width to soundstage but nothing major.

Feb 11, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #228 of 1,022
Thanks for clearing that up, Mike. It is better this way, I think. So that we have more flexibility in using the Burson as dac/amp or dac only. There are times that we might want a more mellow sound. This way, CV2+ owners do not need to buy another dac. 

Feb 13, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #230 of 1,022
Feb 19, 2017 at 5:00 AM Post #231 of 1,022
I have the HE-9 here but I have a strong feeling that I will like the Milo more. A friend is going to loan me his and I will compare it to the Milo. The loser leaves. 

For reference, the HE-9 has super tight bass, is very clean, open, decent tonality that is very even handed and neutral, not aggressive and kind of laid back but that's good because the treble is not bright. The blackground is inky black. BUT it lacks tonal density to my ears and while it does have good dynamics I prefer a bit more engagement than what is here. I liked the Phonitor X tonality more and though this amp is a little better technically the X had more realism. It's downfall was that the transients weren't snappy and the bass could have been tighter. The Mogwai for example is not as neutral as the 9 but its very snappy and controlled with crisp snares and snappy drum work all while being more engaging except for the bass which is where the 9 is still pretty impressive. I expect the Milo to not have the tonality of the X either but be more gripping and engaging than all of the above which is for me. If the Enigma is worth the price jump I still wouldn't do it because I am saving funds for the Eddie Current Aficianado. Honestly if the Milo doesn't do it for me tonally then I will just transition into tube amps. I have tried enough solid state and amps like the Mogwai make that trajectory more likely. 

Feb 19, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #232 of 1,022
I have the HE-9 here but I have a strong feeling that I will like the Milo more. A friend is going to loan me his and I will compare it to the Milo. The loser leaves. 

For reference, the HE-9 has super tight bass, is very clean, open, decent tonality that is very even handed and neutral, not aggressive and kind of laid back but that's good because the treble is not bright. The blackground is inky black. BUT it lacks tonal density to my ears and while it does have good dynamics I prefer a bit more engagement than what is here. I liked the Phonitor X tonality more and though this amp is a little better technically the X had more realism. It's downfall was that the transients weren't snappy and the bass could have been tighter. The Mogwai for example is not as neutral as the 9 but its very snappy and controlled with crisp snares and snappy drum work all while being more engaging except for the bass which is where the 9 is still pretty impressive. I expect the Milo to not have the tonality of the X either but be more gripping and engaging than all of the above which is for me. If the Enigma is worth the price jump I still wouldn't do it because I am saving funds for the Eddie Current Aficianado. Honestly if the Milo doesn't do it for me tonally then I will just transition into tube amps. I have tried enough solid state and amps like the Mogwai make that trajectory more likely. 

Yeah, the Phonitor E has nice tone, but sounds a bit lazy compared to the Milo. I think your instincts are correct on most of the points above, having owned the Audio-GD Master-9, the Milo and now testing the Phonitor E. I've been making some extra comparison notes for you between the two amps, but I'm glad you're going to get a hands-on demo, because I think that is going to be a million times more informative than anything I have to say.

Feb 20, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #234 of 1,022
Ugh! My latest UPS update:

"We've incorrectly sorted the package at our facility. This may cause at least one business day delay."

Feb 20, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #235 of 1,022

"We've incorrectly sorted the package at our facility. This may cause at least one business day delay."

Slay them!! :mad::mad::mad:

Feb 20, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #236 of 1,022
Slay them!! :mad::mad::mad:

I just received a text that it will arrive tomorrow, which saves me a trip to the UPS store since my ZMF headphones are supposed to arrive tomorrow too.

Feb 20, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #237 of 1,022

Sounds like a classic Brown move to me!

Feb 20, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #239 of 1,022
Feb 21, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #240 of 1,022
The Milo is sounding wonderful! I am hearing things in my music that I have not noticed before. Now as it burns in for 200 hours, it will be burning in both my Atticus and Eikon at the same time as well as completing the burn in for my Ori (I just did not want to play the Ori through a DAP for 100 hours straight).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back