Wells Audio Milo - Impressions And Discussion Thread
Dec 9, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #902 of 1,022
I've been thinking about getting the Meze Elite, to pair with my Milo (anyone else have experience with this combo?) A nice review here of the Elite/Empyrean, with positive comments for the Milo:

It feels like @Bonddam might be able to answer this question.

Dec 9, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #903 of 1,022
I've been thinking about getting the Meze Elite, to pair with my Milo (anyone else have experience with this combo?) A nice review here of the Elite/Empyrean, with positive comments for the Milo:

If you do that combo there should be a bass increase adding the needed oomph. The Elite has a realistic sound where they got the tuning more neutral clearing up the top end. The added fun of a Milo would make them even better.
I’m waiting for my Milo with Goldpoint attenuator to ship out Friday but I sold the Elite already being replaced by LCD5.

Dec 10, 2021 at 1:25 AM Post #904 of 1,022
I am trying the Elite with the Milo Ref now and there is probably too much gain for the Elite, in that I can hear a constant background hum with this pairing. Otherwise, the music does sound quite nice.

Dec 10, 2021 at 1:36 AM Post #905 of 1,022
I am trying the Elite with the Milo Ref now and there is probably too much gain for the Elite, in that I can hear a constant background hum with this pairing. Otherwise, the music does sound quite nice.
I don’t own a Milo, but I own a Cembalo Spring 1 which has 25db of gain. The Elite had a hum but once the music started was quite wonderful. Albeit a bit mid-forward. It has that E-Stat Planar tuning that has become the norm in all the TOTL Planars. When I owned a Milo I found high impedance headphones and inefficient Planars to be sublime. Efficent dynamic headphones were less so. My all time favorite pairing was the ZMF Ori with the Milo. That headphone needs some serious power. Also my Code X was amazing on the Milo. I would imagine the Stellia or Clear would be too efficient.

Dec 10, 2021 at 1:44 AM Post #906 of 1,022
I don’t own a Milo, but I own a Cembalo Spring 1 which has 25db of gain. The Elite had a hum but once the music started was quite wonderful. Albeit a bit mid-forward. It has that E-Stat Planar tuning that has become the norm in all the TOTL Planars. When I owned a Milo I found high impedance headphones and inefficient Planars to be sublime. Efficent dynamic headphones were less so. My all time favorite pairing was the ZMF Ori with the Milo. That headphone needs some serious power. Also my Code X was amazing on the Milo. I would imagine the Stellia or Clear would be too efficient.

yep agreed. Abyss sounds great out of the Milo Ref.
i cant use my utopia or stellia with it as the hum is really quite loud, and so are the clicks when raising volume.

Dec 10, 2021 at 3:07 AM Post #907 of 1,022
i cant use my utopia or stellia with it as the hum is really quite loud, and so are the clicks when raising volume.
The clicking volume attenuator was led me to selling the Milo. He seems to have fixed the issue

Dec 10, 2021 at 3:42 AM Post #908 of 1,022
How much different does the Milo Ref sound to the normal upgraded Milo?

Dec 10, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #909 of 1,022
Dec 10, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #910 of 1,022
The clicking volume attenuator was led me to selling the Milo. He seems to have fixed the issue
I had noise with the Khozmo attenuator on my first Headtrip. Jeff put the Goldpoint attenuator on my current Headtrip. The attenuator is now silent and I think that it has a much better feel.

Dec 11, 2021 at 12:55 AM Post #911 of 1,022
I thought it a good time to announce a couple of Milo developments in the coming months. We have finally appeared to find a fix for the intermittent clicking and occasional popping when changing volume with the Khozmo shunt style attenuator. We have made a switch to the Goldpoint attenuator (many believe it to be the best sounding attenuator in the world) for upgraded performance Milos and Headtrips in all sales going forward. Due to the overwhelming success of the Headtrip II outboard power supply I will adding this option to the Milo in the near future. There will be a Milo with Goldpoint and outboard power supply model that will also now include Bybee AC power filters in the power supply as a new and separate model. The Milo will also be eligible to have the outboard power supply added to existing units. The Milo with outboard power and Goldpoint will retail for $3200.00. Pricing for the outboard power supply is yet to be determined. These changes will not only make the Milo even more musical and resolving but solve the noisy volume issues and provide a level of quietness that will make it the best option for very efficient headphones such as the Meze Elite and Focal Utopias, et al. At this price point it very well may be the best headphone amp on the market, bang for buck. As always in the past these products continue to be entirely hand built by me in America with a majority of the materials sourced in the US.

Dec 11, 2021 at 8:27 PM Post #912 of 1,022
I thought it a good time to announce a couple of Milo developments in the coming months. We have finally appeared to find a fix for the intermittent clicking and occasional popping when changing volume with the Khozmo shunt style attenuator. We have made a switch to the Goldpoint attenuator (many believe it to be the best sounding attenuator in the world) for upgraded performance Milos and Headtrips in all sales going forward. Due to the overwhelming success of the Headtrip II outboard power supply I will adding this option to the Milo in the near future. There will be a Milo with Goldpoint and outboard power supply model that will also now include Bybee AC power filters in the power supply as a new and separate model. The Milo will also be eligible to have the outboard power supply added to existing units. The Milo with outboard power and Goldpoint will retail for $3200.00. Pricing for the outboard power supply is yet to be determined. These changes will not only make the Milo even more musical and resolving but solve the noisy volume issues and provide a level of quietness that will make it the best option for very efficient headphones such as the Meze Elite and Focal Utopias, et al. At this price point it very well may be the best headphone amp on the market, bang for buck. As always in the past these products continue to be entirely hand built by me in America with a majority of the materials sourced in the US.
Thanks Jeff. Sounds great! I am still leaning the Dragon Level 2 route. Need some tubes in my life.

Dec 11, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #913 of 1,022
Have you built any of your amps with a TKD 10K Quad attenuator or a Alps RK50? How much of a difference does the attenuator make on your amps?

Dec 11, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #914 of 1,022
Have you built any of your amps with a TKD 10K Quad attenuator or a Alps RK50? How much of a difference does the attenuator make on your amps?
Neither company builds an attenuator as good as the Goldpoint. We have found through our experiences with different attenuators there is a very definite difference between them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back