Wells Audio Milo - Impressions And Discussion Thread
Nov 25, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #886 of 1,022
I have newly acquired Ayra V2s and am now looking to an amp upgrade. Milo has caught my attention given the sound signature and power it offers. The Burson Soloist 3XP is also a contender especially given the prices now. Sounds like the differences between the Milo and the Burson are highly dependent on the cans (?). Can you speak to any areas where the Milo is clearly superior to the Soloist other than the aforementioned bass? Anyone have any thoughts on the Milo/Arya V2 combination?

Hey mate,
Honestly speaking we are at the diminishing return level when comparing Milo to Soloist 3XP, every bit of improvement is a luxury to begin with.

But it’s true to say that the tonal is different between both amp, Milo is colored and Soloist is a much neutral/clean amp. Milo somewhat will give you a “bass boost” to your cans, and those sense of holographic is presence, though it’s not as prominent as a proper tubes amp. Soloist isn’t a slouch as well, it just relatively more “serious” if compared to “fun” Milo. (Although, coming from A90, Soloist is on the fun side)

I actually tested the latest Arya with Milo and Singxer SA-1, SA-1 is similar to Soloist in term of neutrality and clean, yet Arya perform admirably with a great sense of depth and resolution, but with Milo, Arya still retain the quirks but with added wider soundstage and a better bass slam.

This is just my amateur and brief assessment, it’s always best to compare it by yourself, but hope this help you making your decision.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 10:21 PM Post #887 of 1,022
Nov 27, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #888 of 1,022
I'd like to know this as well.
Sadly, I think Jeff himself would’ve chimed in by now had he thought the Headtrip(s) were clearly better. This would’ve given some comfort to those of us that have spent $7k or $15k for the HT. Whatever differences there are, I’d like to hear from him what those differences are between the Dragon III and the Headtrips.

Nov 27, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #889 of 1,022
Sadly, I think Jeff himself would’ve chimed in by now had he thought the Headtrip(s) were clearly better. This would’ve given some comfort to those of us that have spent $7k or $15k for the HT. Whatever differences there are, I’d like to hear from him what those differences are between the Dragon III and the Headtrips.
My opinion is the Dragon I and II are probably subjectively better than the Milo’s. My choice between the Dragon III and the new Headtrip with outboard power supply is my ever so slight choice currently. The Headtrip is a bit quieter so has more resolution and better dynamics. The Dragon has better tone and is more 3D.

Nov 27, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #890 of 1,022
My opinion is the Dragon I and II are probably subjectively better than the Milo’s. My choice between the Dragon III and the new Headtrip with outboard power supply is my ever so slight choice currently. The Headtrip is a bit quieter so has more resolution and better dynamics. The Dragon has better tone and is more 3D.
I’m thinking Dragon II

Nov 27, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #892 of 1,022
yes, perhaps it is lol

Nov 27, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #893 of 1,022
We’ll see. I will have a CFA3 and a Dragon Level 2 soon and will be able to try them both. Can’t wait…

The Dragon looks epic.

Nov 28, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #894 of 1,022
Thanks for chiming in, Jeff. Thoughts on Dragon 3 vs HT reference (aka level 2)?

Nov 28, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #895 of 1,022
My opinion is the Dragon I and II are probably subjectively better than the Milo’s.
Do the Dragons have what it takes to drive Arya V2? Looks like they can do 5 watts (not sure at what impedance/ohms) and 1 amp of current. It is my understanding that it is amps not watts that is most important when driving planars (?). It also sounds like that 1 amp of current is not on the base model, but you have to go up to Level II for that. For the load the Arya V2 has, is the Dragon still preferred?

Nov 28, 2021 at 9:16 PM Post #896 of 1,022
Level 2 which is within a few hundred of the Milo will easily drive the Arya V2

Nov 28, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #897 of 1,022
Thanks for chiming in, Jeff. Thoughts on Dragon 3 vs HT reference (aka level 2)?

After quite a bit of time with both I return to the new Headtrip with the outboard power supply as the most engaging amp choice between the two. Someone else may choose the Dragon because of the typical tube strengths of 3D quality and slightly better tonality. I just find the incredibly low noise floor and how deeply I can heafr into the music tips the scales for me towards the Headtrip. The Headtrip Level II is even greater in all respects. So, to revisit, at the lower price points the Dragon is magnificent and superior. At higher price ppints the Headtrip II and Level II and just the best I have experienced. OceanRanger may have something to say about this as he has owned the Dragon Level III and currently owns the Headtrip II Level II.
Do the Dragons have what it takes to drive Arya V2? Looks like they can do 5 watts (not sure at what impedance/ohms) and 1 amp of current. It is my understanding that it is amps not watts that is most important when driving planars (?). It also sounds like that 1 amp of current is not on the base model, but you have to go up to Level II for that. For the load the Arya V2 has, is the Dragon still preferred?
The Dragons will drive ANY headphone on the market easily except the RAAL.

Nov 29, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #898 of 1,022
After quite a bit of time with both I return to the new Headtrip with the outboard power supply as the most engaging amp choice between the two. Someone else may choose the Dragon because of the typical tube strengths of 3D quality and slightly better tonality. I just find the incredibly low noise floor and how deeply I can heafr into the music tips the scales for me towards the Headtrip. The Headtrip Level II is even greater in all respects. So, to revisit, at the lower price points the Dragon is magnificent and superior. At higher price ppints the Headtrip II and Level II and just the best I have experienced. OceanRanger may have something to say about this as he has owned the Dragon Level III and currently owns the Headtrip II Level II.

Your response is much appreciated Jeff, but you emphasis “Headtrip with outboard power supplies”. Most of us with Headtrip level 2 amps don’t have the outboard power supply. Reading between the lines, I suspect the Dragon 2/3 are actually the better of the 2 or at least subjectively the equal of the HT level 2. At almost a $10k difference in price, why would anyone even consider the HT level 2 other than having more, but mostly unneeded, power? I’m not understanding any value of buying the HT2 level 2 over the Dragon 2/3. It just doesn’t make sense. This bodes well for the Dragon. Not so much for us Headtrip owners.

Dec 6, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #900 of 1,022
I'd like to know this as well.
I have purchased and owned three Wells Audio Headphone Amplifiers. 1) Headtrip II, 2) Dragon LIII, and 3) Headtrip II LII. They each have their own character and strengths.

My first Wells Audio headphone amplifier purchase was a Headtrip II. I used it only with 1266TC and Arya V1s. I really enjoyed this amp. There was a bit of noise when adjusting the volume on this amp, but it was only present when turning the knob. Note that I had no noise when driving the Aryas with this amp. This is a powerful and dynamic sounding amp. I ended up getting lured into the Dragon after several listening sessions at Jeff's. I also wanted to dabble with some tube rolling so the Dragon seemed like a logical next step. I am space constrained and can have only one amp at a time. So I sold the Headtrip II and move over to the Dragon.

Enter the Dragon LIII. I had listened to this unit at Jeff's location when it had 100 hours on it. I believe that it was one of the first Dragon units he built. Then I listened to it again when it had about 400 hours on it. I finally purchased it after it had about 650 hours on it. The difference between these sessions was crazy. I think that the parts he is using take quite a while to burn in. This was enough to convince me that burn in is real. This amp has a wonderful airiness about it. It is 3 dimensional. I felt like I was sitting with the musicians. With the different gain settings, this amp scales amazingly well with headphones that have differing sensitivity and efficiency. It paired with and drove the 1266s quite well. The optical volume control is sensitive. The knob is heavy, but because it is optical, it doesn't have much resistance when turning.

I really loved the 3D sound from the Dragon LIII, but I missed the dynamics and speed of the Headtrip. I decided to upgrade from the Dragon LIII to a Headtrip II LII. I prefer the sound of the Headtrip II LII to the sound of the Dragon LIII. While I can't play with tubes and I can't adjust the gain settings. The Headtrip has better speed and power, though I don't get the same 3 dimensionality in my listening sessions. This amp now has about 850 hours on it and again it has opened up tremendously since the first 100 hours. I have added a pair of Susvaras to the stable. The Dragon LIII was capable of driving them, but they seem to bloom more so with the Headtrip II LII. I hear more detail in the mid range while maintaining a very natural sound. The Headtrip II LII is an endgame amp for me and I am still thrilled each time I listen to it. My unit has a Goldpoint attenuator which has a wonderful feel and resistance to it. It is also dead silent. I very much prefer this attenuator to the Khozmo on my first HT and to the optical attenuator on the Dragon LIII.

A few other thoughts....

Balancing the system - I've figured out that I really like sound of tube DACs. I have a Hugo2 that I use, mostly for portable/mobile listening. I actually prefer the sound of the Dragon with the Hugo2 when compared to the Headtrip with the Hugo2. The Dragon sounds awesome with my Cipher (much better than the Hugo2), but the Headtrip, to me, sounds even better. I suspect that the tube output stage on the Dragon helps with what I would describe as a more analytical nature of the Hugo2. I guess that it is tough to say which is better without taking into account the overall system.

Bang-for-the-buck - at nearly 3x the price, it doesn't seem super fair to compare the Headtrip II LII to the Dragon LIII. I do like the sound of the Headtrip II LII better than the Dragon LIII for the reasons mentioned above. However, at $5,500, the Dragon LIII is really tough to beat. A more fair comparison might be the Headtrip II to the Dragon LIII. My Headtrip II had an internal power supply and the Khozmo attenuator. My Headtrip II LII has an external power supply and a Goldpoint attenuator. Both of these I feel were substantial upgrades and contribute to my enjoyment of the upgraded Headtrip.

Hopefully my experience and these thoughts are useful...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back