Wells Audio Milo - Impressions And Discussion Thread
Jan 25, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #151 of 1,022
Jeff told me the 12 db reduction would work with all headphones, but have trouble with the Abyss and Hifiman HE-6. Jeff recommended the 12 db reduction for ZMF headphones, which I own and have on pre-order.

I sent him another email to see if the 7.5 reduction gives enough volume control for more efficient headphones while still working with the Abyss and Hifiman HE-6. I will edit this post with his reply.

Jeff got back to me. He said "The Khozmo has a more aggressive taper to it so I am more comfortable with the 7.5db attenuation with the Khozmo. With the Tocos it is more linear with more gain at the beginning so I am more comfortable with the 12db with it, especially with the ZMF headphones or any 100db headphone."

So the 12 or 7.5 db depends on if one gets the Khozmo or not.

Jan 25, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #152 of 1,022
Jeff got back to me. He said "The Khozmo has a more aggressive taper to it so I am more comfortable with the 7.5db attenuation with the Khozmo. With the Tocos it is more linear with more gain at the beginning so I am more comfortable with the 12db with it, especially with the ZMF headphones or any 100db headphone."

So the 12 or 7.5 db depends on if one gets the Khozmo or not.

That's good info, thanks.

Jan 25, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #153 of 1,022
Yup, the 7.5 has been echoed here on several occasions to work with HE-6:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/820424/wells-audio-milo-impressions-and-discussion-thread/90#post_13104870
http://www.head-fi.org/t/820424/wells-audio-milo-impressions-and-discussion-thread/90#post_13185997
http://www.head-fi.org/t/820424/wells-audio-milo-impressions-and-discussion-thread/90#post_13096773
Thanks @Hansotek
, @Astral Abyss
, @Hifi59
, and others I missed them.

I'm just wondering how the 7.5 fares with higher sensitivity cans (for example LCD-X/XC), as I'm not too fond of lowering the source volume digitally :p

I just received my replacement unit because I wanted the Khozmo attenuator. While I was at it, I requested the 12db attenuator. I have the LCD-4 and Hifiman he-6. Using my iPad with its volume at max streaming Tidal and Spotify, the He-6 still goes plenty loud! It is uncomfortably loud if Milo volume also at max. Under these conditions, the 1 o'clock position is about as loud as I can comfortably listen to it. This is perfect for me as my goal was to be able to open up the amp as much as possible for max dynamic range when listening to inefficient headphones and yet be able to have some play with the volume knob with efficient phones such as my LCD-XC and Zmf Eikons when they arrive.

Jan 25, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #154 of 1,022
I just received my replacement unit because I wanted the Khozmo attenuator. While I was at it, I requested the 12db attenuator. I have the LCD-4 and Hifiman he-6. Using my iPad with its volume at max streaming Tidal and Spotify, the He-6 still goes plenty loud! It is uncomfortably loud if Milo volume also at max. Under these conditions, the 1 o'clock position is about as loud as I can comfortably listen to it. This is perfect for me as my goal was to be able to open up the amp as much as possible for max dynamic range when listening to inefficient headphones and yet be able to have some play with the volume knob with efficient phones such as my LCD-XC and Zmf Eikons when they arrive.

Did you notice a sound improvement with the Khozmo?

Jan 25, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #155 of 1,022
Did you notice a sound improvement with the Khozmo?

I do. Its somewhat more resolute sounding as Jeff claims. I listened to a lot of select songs just before the swap between Milos to minimize a possible placebo effect and it does sound a touch more effortless and open to my ear. It's nothing groundbreaking, but it's noticeable.

Jan 25, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #156 of 1,022
I do. Its somewhat more resolute sounding as Jeff claims. I listened to a lot of select songs just before the swap between Milos to minimize a possible placebo effect and it does sound a touch more effortless and open to my ear. It's nothing groundbreaking, but it's noticeable.

So over all in your opinion, was it worth $400 as I think for volume control?

Jan 25, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #157 of 1,022
So over all in your opinion, was it worth $400 as I think for volume control?

Well, if your like me and like a product so well that you want it to be all it can be, then yea, it's worth it. On the other hand, if value plays a larger role in your listening pleasure then the stock Milo still punches well above its price point and you still get to enjoy great sound while saving a few hundred bills. I would also add that if you one to always wonder if the grass is greener on the other side and will always have that itch to try the Khozmo, then I suggest doing so from the get go. I love its sound with both attenuators.

Jan 25, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #158 of 1,022
I will need to save a couple of hundred dollars in disposable cash to get the upgrades but I do have a birthday coming up!

Jan 26, 2017 at 12:56 AM Post #159 of 1,022

Thank you for this.
Probably the most direct reply I've ever gotten here, with examples of the specific dilemmas I've been wondering!

Jan 26, 2017 at 1:01 AM Post #160 of 1,022

Yup, the 7.5 has been echoed here on several occasions to work with HE-6:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/820424/wells-audio-milo-impressions-and-discussion-thread/90#post_13104870
http://www.head-fi.org/t/820424/wells-audio-milo-impressions-and-discussion-thread/90#post_13185997
http://www.head-fi.org/t/820424/wells-audio-milo-impressions-and-discussion-thread/90#post_13096773
Thanks @Hansotek, @Astral Abyss, @Hifi59, and others I missed them.

I'm just wondering how the 7.5 fares with higher sensitivity cans (for example LCD-X/XC), as I'm not too fond of lowering the source volume digitally :p

I tried the LCD-XC with my Milo today.  (7.5db attenuation + Khozmo)  Volume was at about 9 o'clock.  Anything more and it got too loud for me.  Hit like a truck.

Jan 26, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #161 of 1,022

I tried the LCD-XC with my Milo today.  (7.5db attenuation + Khozmo)  Volume was at about 9 o'clock.  Anything more and it got too loud for me.  Hit like a truck.

Good to know!
If the 12db attenuation provides even better volume control with high sensitivity wonders, and can drive the HE-6 to uncomfortable levels whilst retaining authority, this "little" thing seems like a miracle.

Jan 26, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #162 of 1,022
Just placed my order for a Milo with the Khozmo, Naked Z Foil resistors and the 7.5db attenuation circuit.

To go with it, I ordered a Metrum Musette in black.

Now the wait begins.

Jan 26, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #163 of 1,022
Just placed my order for a Milo with the Khozmo, Naked Z Foil resistors and the 7.5db attenuation circuit.

To go with it, I ordered a Metrum Musette in black.

Now the wait begins.

You really went all in.  Wish I could see your face when you listen to that combo for the first time.  It's going to be awesome.

Jan 26, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #164 of 1,022
You really went all in.  Wish I could see your face when you listen to that combo for the first time.  It's going to be awesome.

If I was going to spend near $2000 on a headphone amp, I decided I wanted the best sound possible, so I got the upgrades. Otherwise, I would always be wondering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back