Wells Audio - Impressions & Questions
Jun 11, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #109 of 633
You make both amps and dacs...that's a pretty good start, I'd say...world needs to hear Dragon 3 :wink:
It has been awhile since I have been able to get my products in front of people. I have not been able to introduce the Cipher DAC or the Dragon amps yet and would especially like to get them out.

Jun 12, 2021 at 3:13 AM Post #110 of 633
Got my dragon lv 1 from Jeff awhile ago, it makes a great pairing with th900 red/blue.
The sparkling but never harsh highs, the presence in the mids and the tube sound stage...
Also, it makes the obsolete K702 65th sings. :)

PXL_20210612_064154057.jpg

Jun 20, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #111 of 633
Abyss TC owners, how is the Dragon with the Abyss?

I've only ever heard one tube amp with Abyss (Linear Tube Audio Z10) but I'm asking around for alternatives. I saw someone make a comment elsewhere about this taking down WA 33 so that impressed me. I can't comment on that since I haven't heard the Wells Dragon or the WA 33 so I'm just being a messenger here.

Either way, I'm definitely keeping my eye on this one.

Jun 25, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #112 of 633

I've only ever heard one tube amp with Abyss (Linear Tube Audio Z10) but I'm asking around for alternatives. I saw someone make a comment elsewhere about this taking down WA 33 so that impressed me. I can't comment on that since I haven't heard the Wells Dragon or the WA 33 so I'm just being a messenger here.

The Dragon is more musical and faster, doesn't slow things down. The amp is more powerful and does not sound like it will strain to keep raising the volume. I owned both standard and Elite 33 and enjoyed the sound of the Dragon more. You don't loose bass power like some amps in solid state realm. It's cheaper too own. 33 will cost you between 3-4 grand for new tubes and if one tube goes bad the tube manufacture only replaces the bad tube so your true match set is out the door(this happen to me). Bad tube will **** up your amp and sending in a 33 no insurance one state away is $125.00 by UPS. When my 33 went bad I had to send the amp and all the tubes and insured came out to $300 insured for $19,000 for 80 miles.

Jun 27, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #113 of 633

I haven't heard the WA33. My path to the Dragon LIII was via a Hugo2, then a Headtrip II. I couldn't be happier. To me the Dragon blends the best of solid-state and the best of tubes. I feel like it brings the power and dynamics of SS and a very natural sound from the tubes. The amp pairs quite well with the TCs. It has power to spare and a low noise floor. All of that said, what I love most is the large soundstage.

I do hope that Jeff is able to get out to some shows soon. While this forum is great, the proof is hearing it for yourself. I have a feeling that once more people are able to hear it, there will be lots of additional fans.

Jun 27, 2021 at 3:04 AM Post #114 of 633
20210627_103025-01.jpeg

Wells Audio has some interesting design choices. The Milo has a quirky and fun form factor. Headtrip looks like pure power and all about the business. I'm sure it sounds fantastic, but the Dragon looks a bit out of place for me...

Jun 27, 2021 at 3:24 AM Post #115 of 633
20210627_103025-01.jpeg

Wells Audio has some interesting design choices. The Milo has a quirky and fun form factor. Headtrip looks like pure power and all about the business. I'm sure it sounds fantastic, but the Dragon looks a bit out of place for me...
Haha, I agree with you. The beauty is on the inside. :)

Jun 27, 2021 at 4:07 AM Post #116 of 633
I’m reading this thread getting all excited. I have an appointment to audition the Chord Dave, Mscaler and TT2 on Tuesday and while reading this thread, I realize that Wells Audio is about 20 minutes away from me.

Is there anyone who has experience with Chord and Xi Audio products give their opinion on how they compare to the Cipher and Dragon III??

Thanks in advance!

Jun 27, 2021 at 4:22 AM Post #117 of 633
I’m reading this thread getting all excited. I have an appointment to audition the Chord Dave, Mscaler and TT2 on Tuesday and while reading this thread, I realize that Wells Audio is about 20 minutes away from me.

Is there anyone who has experience with Chord and Xi Audio products give their opinion on how they compare to the Cipher and Dragon III??

Thanks in advance!
I don’t.

If you have a chance to listen to the Cipher / Dragon combination as well as the Chord products it would be great to hear your thoughts.

If you do audition the Dragon, please bring your Suvara’s. I would love to hear know how they sound with the Dragon.

Jun 27, 2021 at 4:28 AM Post #118 of 633

Thanks in advance!
You should audition the Cipher before you make a DAC decision. I have a number of customers that have traded there Hugos and Daves for the Cipher. Some of them on this thread.

Jun 27, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #119 of 633
You should audition the Cipher before you make a DAC decision. I have a number of customers that have traded there Hugos and Daves for the Cipher. Some of them on this thread.
I do agree with @The Piper about auditioning the Cipher. I don't have any experience with the Dave or the TT2 so I can't provide relative insights on that front. I started my headphone journey with a Hugo2. Replacing the Hugo2 with a Cipher, admittedly Lii, increased my in-home listening enjoyment dramatically. The tube output of the Cipher provides, what I perceive to be, a very natural sound without sacrificing detail. To me, the Hugo2 is more analytic. These products are at different price points and have different use scenarios. My mentioning the Hugo2 is more about how relative differences in sound rather than a comparison of value. Chord and Wells both seem to have very different product approaches and sound signatures. I suspect that listening each of them will be hugely beneficial in your decision making process. @TDinCali if you haven't seen it, I posted a review of the Cipher Lii here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back