Wells Audio - Impressions & Questions
May 23, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #76 of 637
Decided to remove my dac from upstairs and bring it down to the headphone station. It sounds even better with my PrimaLuna EVO 100 tube dac. I saved up for the Cipher but got railroaded by my wife. But I've tired all types of DAC's and only tube seems to make a difference. Example Manhattan 2 same chip as Cipher but sounds like monkey balls. R2R FPGA just not organic sounding but add tubes you get a whole different beast.

May 23, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #77 of 637
Decided to remove my dac from upstairs and bring it down to the headphone station. It sounds even better with my PrimaLuna EVO 100 tube dac. I saved up for the Cipher but got railroaded by my wife. But I've tired all types of DAC's and only tube seems to make a difference. Example Manhattan 2 same chip as Cipher but sounds like monkey balls. R2R FPGA just not organic sounding but add tubes you get a whole different beast.
So do you recommend the PrimaLuna Evo 100 DAC?

May 23, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #78 of 637
If you can't get a Cipher then EVO or Amber 3. Then does someone like Burr Brown or 9038 pro chip.

May 23, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #79 of 637
It only has one set of outs (RCA). Not Versatile enough for the expense. Im sure it sounds good, but that eliminated it from contention for me.

May 23, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #81 of 637
Is the hum at all volumes and does the noise vary with different tubes used?
Work has been bonkers lately and has left me with less time for fun and for critical listening. After doing some diagnostics and having a conversation with Jeff, we believe that it is likely a failed DIP switch that has been causing the noise in my right channel. Dropped the unit off with Jeff today so that the unit can be properly diagnosed. Hope to pick it up next week and can't wait....

May 23, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #82 of 637
Extra RCAs can be added anytime.
I was actually referring to the PrimaLuna…..I’m sure the Cipher will be top notch …. Just too late for me!

May 23, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #83 of 637
I wonder how the level III is with the Susvara?
I'm super curious about this too. I had a Headtrip II and was contemplating getting a pair of Susvaras. While I listen to many genres, I spend most of my time enjoying indie folk and was looking for something with richer mids than the 1266 TCs. After moving to the Dragon LIII, my desire to have a pair of Susvaras has been put off. The LIII doesn't break a sweat driving the TCs, but the TCs are 88db at 47ohms and the Sus's are 83db at 60ohms. Hopefully someone will listen to a pair of Susvaras on the Dragon.

May 27, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #84 of 637
I'm going to post a sale of the many tubes I purchased. I have RCA Sylvania Amperex Bell Philips EV(Soviet type 6dj8 under different model type) I researched best of each brand and I can't figure out which ones I like best. The Amprexe Bell and Philips are 6dj8 with gold pins. the RCA and Sylvania are 12bh7. I have two different RCA and 2 different Sylvania tubes. Black and grey plates with different getters. All tubes are expensive only pic I don't have is of Woo receipt for Amperex 6922 SQ gold pins. Any interest pm me I can show you full receipt of tubes.

Attachments

• 16221492785428009453306437851734.jpg
    16221492785428009453306437851734.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 16221492950655910440194425634318.jpg
    16221492950655910440194425634318.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 16221493146342284937023714001309.jpg
    16221493146342284937023714001309.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 16221493332384075343089873474319.jpg
    16221493332384075343089873474319.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
May 27, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #86 of 637
May 27, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #87 of 637
Since when does he have a Solaris?
Damn @Bonddam you sure get to test a lot of gear.
And your Primaluna DAC is gone already?
Haha, I know. @Bonddam I feel like you have saved me thousands in gear that I was contemplating, but decided not to purchase because you purchased, loved, fell out of love and then sold.

May 28, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #88 of 637
Ok first impressions of my Dragon Level II.

I have had quite a few amps in the past. Trafomatic Head 2, Auris Nirvana, ampsandsound SE84SE, Rogue RH5, Ifi Pro Ican, Pathos Aurium, Wells Audio Milo, Woo Audio WA7 and TP, and I currently have the Primaluna EVO 300 Integrated. Of all the above the Trafomatic had my favorite sound. It had a linear clean sound….very fast and not too tubey. It was deceptively powerful. I only got rid of it because I bought it second hand and it had some cosmetic damage and I am weird like that….I want everything mint and it bothered me. Of the above, the Pathos Aurium was the best value and sensational for it‘s price. I love my PrimaLuna…..but I use it most for my speakers.

Onto the Dragon. All listening has been with stock tubes. I can tell you that it is very quiet. I can only imagine the level 3 would have even more of a black background….but at this point it is hard to imagine. Both of my headphones I have on hand are not difficult to drive. I am still awaiting my Rognir arrival and my Verite is with William Murdock from the Headphone Experience who is doing a review on it. This leaves the Thekk and the HE1000SE. I found the the 6DB dip switch position to excel with both sets. Honestly I have not had time to test the grounding dip switches ….. that time will come.

The Thekk is good no matter what I have plugged it into. It is versatile with a thicker sound than many of its Kennerton brethren. With the Dragon it is no different. Great mid bass, details. It is intimate with a soundstage comparable to an Audeze LCD4. It really excelled with the Dragon with Pop and modern Jazz. Something modern like Billie Eilish’s “Everything I Wanted” just has a beautiful full sound. The mids are sensational, the treble is polite but leaves nothing out. I hear everything that is in the track. The Thekk has been my go to and my favorite headphone to date. And with the Dragon, I am left wanting nothing. It is as good as I have ever heard it.

The HE1000SE is where I realized what I have done by getting the Dragon. I have felt that it is a sensational headphone…but….sometimes the music feels disjointed. Like things are there but the treble mids and bass don’t work hand in hand. On other songs… I realize that I am very happy with it. I found this headphone to be very picky about the song source I chose. This is where the Dragon really showed itself. The HE1000SE all of a sudden has the musicality I have been missing. Listening to the same Billie Eilish song and I am hearing so much subbass. This is not supposed to be the case with this Hifiman….where did this come from? The disjointed feeling I sometimes had is not there….LIKE AT ALL. The soundstage is still off the charts…but nothing artificial sounding like a HD800 (not a fan). I have one track that is super amazing…special….spectacular…my favorite test track…something I let every guest listen to….but ONLY ON SPEAKERS. This track is “Chocolate Chip Trip” by Tool. Is has the biggest soundstage of any song I have ever heard. It has been a disappointment on every headphone I have heard it on after hearing it on a good pair of speakers. ….. Until now. The Dragon and the HE1000SE have done it. This song is now just as fantastic on headphones. It still amazes me thinking about it. It is simple … The Dragon Level II with the Hifiman HE1000SE is the best experience I have ever had on any headphone system.

To sum it up…..of all the amps I listed, I would compare the Dragon with the Trafomatic Head 2. It is crystal clear, great speed and dynamics, loads of power … but it gives even more bass definition than the Head 2 gives. I listen with my wife at the same time with 2 amps being fed from my wonderful Rockna Wavelight. We enjoy music together….and I always defer to her which amp and headphone she wants to hear. Those are the times I will listen to my very capable and excellent in it’s own right PrimaLuna. But if I am listening alone, There is no contest, I now have the best amp that I have ever owned.

May 28, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #89 of 637
Ok first impressions of my Dragon Level II.

I have had quite a few amps in the past. Trafomatic Head 2, Auris Nirvana, ampsandsound SE84SE, Rogue RH5, Ifi Pro Ican, Pathos Aurium, Wells Audio Milo, Woo Audio WA7 and TP, and I currently have the Primaluna EVO 300 Integrated. Of all the above the Trafomatic had my favorite sound. It had a linear clean sound….very fast and not too tubey. It was deceptively powerful. I only got rid of it because I bought it second hand and it had some cosmetic damage and I am weird like that….I want everything mint and it bothered me. Of the above, the Pathos Aurium was the best value and sensational for it‘s price. I love my PrimaLuna…..but I use it most for my speakers.

Onto the Dragon. All listening has been with stock tubes. I can tell you that it is very quiet. I can only imagine the level 3 would have even more of a black background….but at this point it is hard to imagine. Both of my headphones I have on hand are not difficult to drive. I am still awaiting my Rognir arrival and my Verite is with William Murdock from the Headphone Experience who is doing a review on it. This leaves the Thekk and the HE1000SE. I found the the 6DB dip switch position to excel with both sets. Honestly I have not had time to test the grounding dip switches ….. that time will come.

The Thekk is good no matter what I have plugged it into. It is versatile with a thicker sound than many of its Kennerton brethren. With the Dragon it is no different. Great mid bass, details. It is intimate with a soundstage comparable to an Audeze LCD4. It really excelled with the Dragon with Pop and modern Jazz. Something modern like Billie Eilish’s “Everything I Wanted” just has a beautiful full sound. The mids are sensational, the treble is polite but leaves nothing out. I hear everything that is in the track. The Thekk has been my go to and my favorite headphone to date. And with the Dragon, I am left wanting nothing. It is as good as I have ever heard it.

The HE1000SE is where I realized what I have done by getting the Dragon. I have felt that it is a sensational headphone…but….sometimes the music feels disjointed. Like things are there but the treble mids and bass don’t work hand in hand. On other songs… I realize that I am very happy with it. I found this headphone to be very picky about the song source I chose. This is where the Dragon really showed itself. The HE1000SE all of a sudden has the musicality I have been missing. Listening to the same Billie Eilish song and I am hearing so much subbass. This is not supposed to be the case with this Hifiman….where did this come from? The disjointed feeling I sometimes had is not there….LIKE AT ALL. The soundstage is still off the charts…but nothing artificial sounding like a HD800 (not a fan). I have one track that is super amazing…special….spectacular…my favorite test track…something I let every guest listen to….but ONLY ON SPEAKERS. This track is “Chocolate Chip Trip” by Tool. Is has the biggest soundstage of any song I have ever heard. It has been a disappointment on every headphone I have heard it on after hearing it on a good pair of speakers. ….. Until now. The Dragon and the HE1000SE have done it. This song is now just as fantastic on headphones. It still amazes me thinking about it. It is simple … The Dragon Level II with the Hifiman HE1000SE is the best experience I have ever had on any headphone system.

To sum it up…..of all the amps I listed, I would compare the Dragon with the Trafomatic Head 2. It is crystal clear, great speed and dynamics, loads of power … but it gives even more bass definition than the Head 2 gives. I listen with my wife at the same time with 2 amps being fed from my wonderful Rockna Wavelight. We enjoy music together….and I always defer to her which amp and headphone she wants to hear. Those are the times I will listen to my very capable and excellent in it’s own right PrimaLuna. But if I am listening alone, There is no contest, I now have the best amp that I have ever owned.
Sort of offtopic, but what didn't you like from the Auris Nirvana and how does it compare to the PrimaLuna?

May 28, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #90 of 637
Sort of offtopic, but what didn't you like from the Auris Nirvana and how does it compare to the PrimaLuna?
Nirvana was good…but at the price I expected more. It wasnt an upgrade from the PrimaLuna…but the cost was. It was the prettiest amp ever and capable but I sold it because I felt I could get just as good sound for less money.

PrimaLuna is more of your traditional sounding tube amp. With the EL34s it is a romantic laid back very 3D euphoric experience. But much different. With the KT150….it is more compatible, more dynamic with a little less tubey sound. The PrimaLuna is actually a very good companion amp to have with the Dragon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back