Wells Audio - Impressions & Questions
Jul 22, 2021 at 9:49 PM Post #136 of 637
Coffee is my morning addiction, which is bought out of the house during my work week. Dark roast nothing water down then right amount of half and half and sugar. 24 oz is good for about 2 hours.

Anyways I picked up inexpensive HD6XX and just wonderful sounding on Dragon. What's amazing is I don't feel like they are less of a headphone to my 1266, just something else that happens to cost less. No these won't replace the big boy but I've bought some other headphones that costed much more that are popular but don't sound like these. Only thing I could be sticking foot in mouth as I didn't have the equipment I have now.
Just wanted to let everyone know that Wells Sudio will be showing at the SoCal CanJam at the end of September in Irvine. Ca. We will have a Dragon and Dragon Level III for audition as well as a new Headtrip with new Khozmo opto sensor attenuator and outboard power supply, the new Cipher tube DAC as well as a Cipher Level II DAC all running through the new Looking Glass II power conditioner. If you can make it you will have the opportunity to hear the absolute state-of-the-art in headphone equipment available today.

Jul 23, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #137 of 637
IMG_2869.jpg

A bit of tube rolling today. A pair of Telefunken 6DJ8's. I'm very much enjoying Diana Krall's "I Could Drink a Case of You", which is on her Live In Paris album. So, so much emotion in her voice.

Jul 23, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #139 of 637
Just wanted to let everyone know that Wells Sudio will be showing at the SoCal CanJam at the end of September in Irvine. Ca. We will have a Dragon and Dragon Level III for audition as well as a new Headtrip with new Khozmo opto sensor attenuator and outboard power supply, the new Cipher tube DAC as well as a Cipher Level II DAC all running through the new Looking Glass II power conditioner. If you can make it you will have the opportunity to hear the absolute state-of-the-art in headphone equipment available today.
Nice…wish I could be there! Any plans to be at RMAF?

Jul 23, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #140 of 637
Nice…wish I could be there! Any plans to be at RMAF?
and the RMAF is too close to do both. It is a crazy year with 5 shows being within a months

I won't be at RMAF this year because I had already committed to the Capital Audiofest and the 2 shows are too close together to do both. It is a crazy year with so many shows crammed within a months time.

Jul 23, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #141 of 637
How are the Telefunkrns compared to the stock tubes?

The Telefunkens seem a bit more airy. I am particularly liking them with female vocals and piano. The stock TADs are definitely tighter and more dynamic, especially on the low end. I don't know if these differences are common to a 6DJ8 vs a 12BH7 comparison OR if it is more a Telefunken vs TAD thing. I was running the TADs with 12db of gain and have the Telefunkens at 18db of gain, both have a black background.

I have some vintage RCA 12BH7s that I'll try over the weekend. @Bonddam and others, I'm curious about your experiences rolling with the Dragon.

Jul 23, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #142 of 637
The Telefunkens seem a bit more airy. I am particularly liking them with female vocals and piano. The stock TADs are definitely tighter and more dynamic, especially on the low end. I don't know if these differences are common to a 6DJ8 vs a 12BH7 comparison OR if it is more a Telefunken vs TAD thing. I was running the TADs with 12db of gain and have the Telefunkens at 18db of gain, both have a black background.

I have some vintage RCA 12BH7s that I'll try over the weekend. @Bonddam and others, I'm curious about your experiences rolling with the Dragon.
I’ve got two RCA one is gray and the other black. I forgot which is the popular one. The getter was the other value to best sounding. I think 1960’s was best decade for RCA 12bh7.

Jul 26, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #143 of 637
When I was a security tech I had a job to redo the alarm and camera system of ex NJ Gov Jim McGreevy. The guy was in scandal with some group but that was the fun being around the mob and different things I hated being around. Well I am going through this really big old house and see 12 German Shepard's and said no way. So I went upstairs and made a left and saw three huge cats that didn't look like pets it scared the crap out me but the boyfriend saw me and assured me they won't harm me. They are a uber expensive cat. The dogs only scared me because they wanted to attack. These cats scared me because I thought I was meal time.
1627346846938.png
1627346974580.png
1627346884439.png

So my daughter wants one and when she showed me I remembered that day.

Jul 26, 2021 at 11:48 PM Post #144 of 637
@Bonddam I’m not really sure where to go with that post. Those cats are both cool and freaky.

on another note, I spent time over the last two days with the stock TADs and the RCA gray 12BH7s. Honestly I didn’t hear much of a difference. Not sure if it is me or if they are really similar.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #145 of 637
IMG_2869.jpg
A bit of tube rolling today. A pair of Telefunken 6DJ8's. I'm very much enjoying Diana Krall's "I Could Drink a Case of You", which is on her Live In Paris album. So, so much emotion in her voice.
I just last night discovered that song. Always loved Jonis of course and was pretty skeptical Diana (or anyone) could pull it off. But, WOW. She owned it. Listening with Nuprime dac10h, and my new Sundaras.

Jul 27, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #146 of 637
@Bonddam I’m not really sure where to go with that post. Those cats are both cool and freaky.

on another note, I spent time over the last two days with the stock TADs and the RCA gray 12BH7s. Honestly I didn’t hear much of a difference. Not sure if it is me or if they are really similar.
Just showing a crazy cat my daughter wants me to buy.

The tubes that are NOS don't sound right. They seem to kill something maybe the energy. I would just stick with the tube Jeff settled on.

Jul 27, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #147 of 637
Just showing a crazy cat my daughter wants me to buy.

The tubes that are NOS don't sound right. They seem to kill something maybe the energy. I would just stick with the tube Jeff settled on.
After careful auditioning of a number of NOS vs. the TAD 12BH7s our conclusion was that the TADs were quieter, more resolving and more neutral than the NOS tubes. This runs contrary to my experience in the past comparing current production tubes with the best NOS available. The TAD's characteristics match the characteristics of our equipment and further reinforce the superior performance experienced with our equipment. NOS tubes would seem to offer maybe a bit more richness (which is most likely noise masquerading as richness), and tonality but detract in resolution, speed, neutrality, openness and transient response. These are all hallmarks of our equipment.

Jul 27, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #148 of 637
After careful auditioning of a number of NOS vs. the TAD 12BH7s our conclusion was that the TADs were quieter, more resolving and more neutral than the NOS tubes. This runs contrary to my experience in the past comparing current production tubes with the best NOS available. The TAD's characteristics match the characteristics of our equipment and further reinforce the superior performance experienced with our equipment. NOS tubes would seem to offer maybe a bit more richness (which is most likely noise masquerading as richness), and tonality but detract in resolution, speed, neutrality, openness and transient response. These are all hallmarks of our equipment.
I am back to the TADs. All is right once again…

Jul 31, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #149 of 637
@The Piper thank you for the opportunity to audition a few things earlier today AND for introducing me to "Down In The Hole" on this John Campbell album. It is a great track surfaces the dynamics of a system.
1627776266053.png

If you haven't had the chance to listen to "The Peppery Man" on the below Natalie Merchant album, I can recommend it as well. She has collaborated with The Fairfield Four and Hazmat Modine on this wonderful blues track.
1627776180783.png

Aug 1, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #150 of 637
After more than two weeks running Diana phi on Milo Kozmo Vishay, I think both pair really well (Had compared to 5-6 other amps, and none of them synergize as good as Milo). Diana with her speed, superb clarity, and precise timbre, combine with sweet, full body and wide soundstage of Milo.

Anyone ever tried Dragon (Lv 1 or 2) with Diana? What to expect to go Dragon route from Milo?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back