Wells Audio - Impressions & Questions
Aug 1, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #151 of 633
I can't speak on the Diana phi, but what I can tell you is I prefer the Dragon over the Milo by a pretty big margin. I went through quite a few amps including the Milo. Many of them were good but it was not until I got the dragon then I was like... yep I got it, this is it.

Aug 1, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #152 of 633
I'll take a Milo over Dragon level 1. Your Diana needs that bloom in bass and midrange. It doesn't require the 1 amp of current on Dragon lvl 2 and 3. If you had the 1266 then I would tell you by a Level 2 Dragon unless you can splurge on Dragon Lvl 3. The Milo Reference is redundant to the same price Dragon. It's not as powerful so future proof your self. If the price could come down on the Milo Reference then it would have a place but not at it's current price. Dragon is fast. It's like if Jeff lost his mind and charge 4k for the HeadTrip 2 now that would throw me off. Really you need to sit with each amp as they all sound different. My opinion will not match with others on this thread. I could be wrong about the Milo.

Jeff could get some judges and test each amp and then describe which amp does what better or worst. I remember that the Milo Reference kicked up the bass on Empyrean but didn't sound correct to me with the 1266. It's what made me go to the HeadTrip.
HeadTrip neutral throughout the band, powers everything
Dragon lvl 3 adds more bass slam but keeps HeadTrip upper range and powers everything
Milo Reference more bloom in low region.

None of them are shrill, don't hurt your ears

Aug 1, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #153 of 633
I can't speak on the Diana phi, but what I can tell you is I prefer the Dragon over the Milo by a pretty big margin. I went through quite a few amps including the Milo. Many of them were good but it was not until I got the dragon then I was like... yep I got it, this is it.

Any certain aspect of Dragon that make it "click" to your preference?

I'll take a Milo over Dragon level 1. Your Diana needs that bloom in bass and midrange. It doesn't require the 1 amp of current on Dragon lvl 2 and 3. If you had the 1266 then I would tell you by a Level 2 Dragon unless you can splurge on Dragon Lvl 3. The Milo Reference is redundant to the same price Dragon. It's not as powerful so future proof your self. If the price could come down on the Milo Reference then it would have a place but not at it's current price. Dragon is fast. It's like if Jeff lost his mind and charge 4k for the HeadTrip 2 now that would throw me off. Really you need to sit with each amp as they all sound different. My opinion will not match with others on this thread. I could be wrong about the Milo.

Jeff could get some judges and test each amp and then describe which amp does what better or worst. I remember that the Milo Reference kicked up the bass on Empyrean but didn't sound correct to me with the 1266. It's what made me go to the HeadTrip.
HeadTrip neutral throughout the band, powers everything
Dragon lvl 3 adds more bass slam but keeps HeadTrip upper range and powers everything
Milo Reference more bloom in low region.

None of them are shrill, don't hurt your ears
A complete comparison, thanks again my friend!

Aug 1, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #154 of 633
Any certain aspect of Dragon that make it "click" to your preference?
Well I had the Milo and the Pathos Aurium at the same time. The Pathos sounded to much more musical and exciting. The Milo while being a little on the warm side, I found it a little dry and lifeless. Obviously it could be that the source agreed more with the Pathos than the Milo. I bought a Audeze LCD4 as people recommended it with the Milo. I just didn’t love the Milo. The Pathos just didn’t have the power I wanted. I have been through a lot of amps since. I love my PrimaLuna but I needed another amp as my wife and I listen at the same time together. When I received the Dragon level II, I knew I finally found that amp. It is a little smoother than the PrimaLuna. Great bottom end and full of power. All of my headphones I have tried with it sound great. It has clean crisp sound with great stage, detail and it is extremely fast. I went through a lot of amps to get to this guy and I am so happy with it.

Aug 2, 2021 at 7:00 AM Post #155 of 633
Well I had the Milo and the Pathos Aurium at the same time. The Pathos sounded to much more musical and exciting. The Milo while being a little on the warm side, I found it a little dry and lifeless. Obviously it could be that the source agreed more with the Pathos than the Milo. I bought a Audeze LCD4 as people recommended it with the Milo. I just didn’t love the Milo. The Pathos just didn’t have the power I wanted. I have been through a lot of amps since. I love my PrimaLuna but I needed another amp as my wife and I listen at the same time together. When I received the Dragon level II, I knew I finally found that amp. It is a little smoother than the PrimaLuna. Great bottom end and full of power. All of my headphones I have tried with it sound great. It has clean crisp sound with great stage, detail and it is extremely fast. I went through a lot of amps to get to this guy and I am so happy with it.
Thanks for more detailed info!

I do agree that while Milo has full body sound, this amp rather on drier side, not sweet/lush type of vocal.

Aug 10, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #156 of 633
:) it is going to be a fun afternoon...

Screen Shot 2021-08-10 at 12.24.14.png

Aug 10, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #157 of 633
Ok first impressions of my Dragon Level II.

I have had quite a few amps in the past. Trafomatic Head 2, Auris Nirvana, ampsandsound SE84SE, Rogue RH5, Ifi Pro Ican, Pathos Aurium, Wells Audio Milo, Woo Audio WA7 and TP, and I currently have the Primaluna EVO 300 Integrated. Of all the above the Trafomatic had my favorite sound. It had a linear clean sound….very fast and not too tubey. It was deceptively powerful. I only got rid of it because I bought it second hand and it had some cosmetic damage and I am weird like that….I want everything mint and it bothered me. Of the above, the Pathos Aurium was the best value and sensational for it‘s price. I love my PrimaLuna…..but I use it most for my speakers.

Onto the Dragon. All listening has been with stock tubes. I can tell you that it is very quiet. I can only imagine the level 3 would have even more of a black background….but at this point it is hard to imagine. Both of my headphones I have on hand are not difficult to drive. I am still awaiting my Rognir arrival and my Verite is with William Murdock from the Headphone Experience who is doing a review on it. This leaves the Thekk and the HE1000SE. I found the the 6DB dip switch position to excel with both sets. Honestly I have not had time to test the grounding dip switches ….. that time will come.

The Thekk is good no matter what I have plugged it into. It is versatile with a thicker sound than many of its Kennerton brethren. With the Dragon it is no different. Great mid bass, details. It is intimate with a soundstage comparable to an Audeze LCD4. It really excelled with the Dragon with Pop and modern Jazz. Something modern like Billie Eilish’s “Everything I Wanted” just has a beautiful full sound. The mids are sensational, the treble is polite but leaves nothing out. I hear everything that is in the track. The Thekk has been my go to and my favorite headphone to date. And with the Dragon, I am left wanting nothing. It is as good as I have ever heard it.

The HE1000SE is where I realized what I have done by getting the Dragon. I have felt that it is a sensational headphone…but….sometimes the music feels disjointed. Like things are there but the treble mids and bass don’t work hand in hand. On other songs… I realize that I am very happy with it. I found this headphone to be very picky about the song source I chose. This is where the Dragon really showed itself. The HE1000SE all of a sudden has the musicality I have been missing. Listening to the same Billie Eilish song and I am hearing so much subbass. This is not supposed to be the case with this Hifiman….where did this come from? The disjointed feeling I sometimes had is not there….LIKE AT ALL. The soundstage is still off the charts…but nothing artificial sounding like a HD800 (not a fan). I have one track that is super amazing…special….spectacular…my favorite test track…something I let every guest listen to….but ONLY ON SPEAKERS. This track is “Chocolate Chip Trip” by Tool. Is has the biggest soundstage of any song I have ever heard. It has been a disappointment on every headphone I have heard it on after hearing it on a good pair of speakers. ….. Until now. The Dragon and the HE1000SE have done it. This song is now just as fantastic on headphones. It still amazes me thinking about it. It is simple … The Dragon Level II with the Hifiman HE1000SE is the best experience I have ever had on any headphone system.

To sum it up…..of all the amps I listed, I would compare the Dragon with the Trafomatic Head 2. It is crystal clear, great speed and dynamics, loads of power … but it gives even more bass definition than the Head 2 gives. I listen with my wife at the same time with 2 amps being fed from my wonderful Rockna Wavelight. We enjoy music together….and I always defer to her which amp and headphone she wants to hear. Those are the times I will listen to my very capable and excellent in it’s own right PrimaLuna. But if I am listening alone, There is no contest, I now have the best amp that I have ever owned.

Just received the Dragon Level II on Friday and I 1000% echo your comments on the HE1000SE. IMO, this was a very good and resolving headphone, but it also had a propensity to sound a bit disjointed at times. As best I could describe it, it came off a bit bright at times and it seemed like the treble and mids didn’t always work together. With certain amps, it was certainly better than others, but it was never exactly batting 1000.

On the Wells Dragon II, it’s like a whole different headphone. Now all the frequencies work in perfect harmony together and the Dragon has unearthed a level of bass power from the HE1000se I didn’t even know was there. can’t stop listening to it!

IMHO, if someone were to ask me today, I’d say the Wells Dragon is the best amp for the HE1000SE, hands down. The level of control, power and continuity it’s able to give the headphone is nuts.

Many more impressions to come!!!

Aug 11, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #158 of 633
First impressions notes on the Dragon II I sent to Jeff after receiving the amp on Friday:

Incredible. In-effin-credible. Tried w/ 3 headphones out the gate.

Hifiman HE1000SE: probably the best I’ve heard it sound. Super impressive “massive” sound w/ orchestras & electronic. Immediately made sense why it was called Dragon! Huffing smoke & breathing fire! It growls!

Hifiman HE-6SE the Dragon drove it no problem. Didn’t compare directly, but definitely noticed it was warmer & fuller than Milo w/ HE-6. Was jamming out dancing all over the place. Super fun an engaging! Great combo for rock & metal!

ZMF Aeolus: beautiful tone on this headphone and the Dragon made it absolutely sing. Rocked some acoustic stuff and it was very natural and transparent. Dragon dug out a new layer of resolution I didn’t even know this headphone had! Superb combo!

18C2DBA1-A6CD-4C8C-8981-27563A2E082A.jpeg

Aug 23, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #159 of 633
My listening is back since Friday. Got the Dragon and Doge 7 both with TAD tubes my Dragon is using different coupling caps and it's sounds as bad as before just kidding! It's good I'm not a true audiophile to notice a sound difference. I'm not going to think of burn in time as it's awesome enough. I would have to hear both units together to maybe notice. Dragon is full and I can hear into the far distance, so there isn't any masking of sound that I'm picking up. Today I got the Modhouse Argon MK3 and they are amazing headphone. Was not easy to get as the builder is always sold out so I was lucky to buy used.

Aug 29, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #161 of 633
:) it is going to be a fun afternoon...

Screen Shot 2021-08-10 at 12.24.14.png
Maybe a Dragon that puts out HeadTrip power at whatever headphone impedance Susvara is with 1 amp of current. Add the correct gain. The other part of the amp brings it down to Abyss level with same gain switching as regular Dragon.

I know crazy idea.

Aug 29, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #162 of 633
Maybe a Dragon that puts out HeadTrip power at whatever headphone impedance Susvara is with 1 amp of current. Add the correct gain. The other part of the amp brings it down to Abyss level with same gain switching as regular Dragon.

I know crazy idea.
haha, crazy idea indeed.

I have a vision for my system in the longer term. Unfortunately my wallet just wasn't big enough to execute on the vision with one step so I am doing so in two steps. Next weekend I hope to pick up a new Looking Glass and a Headtrip II LII. I look forward to sharing more thoughts.

Aug 29, 2021 at 11:28 PM Post #163 of 633
haha, crazy idea indeed.

I have a vision for my system in the longer term. Unfortunately my wallet just wasn't big enough to execute on the vision with one step so I am doing so in two steps. Next weekend I hope to pick up a new Looking Glass and a Headtrip II LII. I look forward to sharing more thoughts.

Having both items you’re looking to pick up, I expect you’ll be very pleased. Let us know your thoughts once everything settles in.

Aug 29, 2021 at 11:48 PM Post #164 of 633
I walked into enemy lines. HeadCase.com I was looking to buy Smeggys Thunderpants headphone which seems to be a mystery of a builder that ran off with the loot.

Sep 2, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #165 of 633
Hi everyone, I just got my Cipher Lv 1 DAC for a week. I'm very impressed of how it performs.

The current tubes I see in the DAC are branded Westinghouse. I read some posts here and see you guys mentioned TAD tubes. I don't know if my Cipher's tubes have been changed or not? What should be the right tubes for Cipher?

Could anyone help me with this?

By the way, could you suggest the best musical and analog tubes for Cipher Lv 1?

Thank you!
Huy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back