Wells Audio - Impressions & Questions
Sep 18, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #181 of 633
Thank you for your explanation. I understand now. I agree that Cipher is very alive, honest and holographic. By honest, I meant that some DACs tend to make the sound thicker making it more tangible. Up to a point, they make the sound thicker than how it should be. Cipher in contrast doesn't do that, the sound is just as natural as it should be yet it's still very tangible and alive. I think partly because of it's very good resolution and quiet background.

I can't imagine how Lv2 sound but I don't have 8k budget to upgrade it. :)

Sep 19, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #182 of 633
The Dragon 2 is best stomping ground. Choice of having a full tube requires knowing how they sound different and what time and money is involved in rolling tubes. Jeff does not like full tube amps compared to hybrid. It’s lush and not as fast is his reasons. My Woo WA5 LE is a pain in the butt I have to keep a journal for rolling on mood and type of headphone. My Hifiman Arya has totally different tube type then 1266. But mood can change that. So the Dragon has no guess work but the Arya requires 6922 NOS tubes for smoothness. Arya I’d say sounds too airy it actually needs lushness to sound better. Dragon 2 gives the power for bass to be heavy hitter more to what a bass head would want. HeadTrip is more refined. The Milo is for young crazy adult that wants what kids want jumping off train bridges into the river after school. Dragon is in between Headtrip and Milo. I wouldn’t look at level 1 Dragon I’d just get Milo, Sorry Jeff. If your doing Milo Reference just get Dragon level 3. The level 2 Dragon is because you don’t need the whole refinement of the level 3. HeadTrip If keep a bass eq near by to get the tone of the Dragon Lvl 2 and 3. Bass is not weaker or stronger just refined and if you hear the Milo it has bloom so you get harder hitting beats. The rest of the spectrum doesn’t need to be mentioned as it doesn’t suck. All amps are smooth without being boring. Arya owners get Milo 1266 owners get Other two but not level one Dragon.

level one dragon is if you have low powered requiring headphones easy to drive because remember you are dealing with half the current of two and three.

I have more to say but My experience might be confusing you fine people.

I’ll be at Capital Audio Fest to see Jeff in person and I want to bring my two girls who I started introducing them to audio.

My 13 year old has Meze 99 and was blown away by the Dragon level 3. She thought that her Ipad was it. Actually now she stopped listening to them after that. I’ll be cool dad and get her Milo.

Sep 19, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #183 of 633
Thank you for your explanation. I understand now. I agree that Cipher is very alive, honest and holographic. By honest, I meant that some DACs tend to make the sound thicker making it more tangible. Up to a point, they make the sound thicker than how it should be. Cipher in contrast doesn't do that, the sound is just as natural as it should be yet it's still very tangible and alive. I think partly because of it's very good resolution and quiet background.

I can't imagine how Lv2 sound but I don't have 8k budget to upgrade it. :)
"very alive, honest and holographic" that is an awesome way to describe the Cipher. Aside from headphone choice, the Cipher has brought about the biggest improvement in my system. I love it!!!

Sep 19, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #184 of 633
Sorry didn't mean to confuse. I have excitement issues. I was too happy I got it back. So the story.
Like with a lot of things the grass looks greener on the other side and that's me.

So I sold the Cipher and after realizing the Doge 7 was not right for me after I gave it time to sink in.

The person was having a custom R2R built by Tron and the cost was 10 grand. He didn't have the Tron when he took my Cipher.

Today I asked him I guess the Tron is better and he said no. Cipher is more alive and more holographic. He said he doesn't want to loose $5k selling the Tron.

Lucky me he put my Cipher back.

Here's deal don't knock till you tired it.

I won't stop trying things. I can't I have to know. I'm like an explorer who needs to know how the world works.

If still unclear call me I'm better over the phone.
haha, I love that you like to try things. I love that you like change. And I love that you keep returning to the Cipher.

Sep 21, 2021 at 11:53 PM Post #185 of 633
I got to welcome back the Cipher lvl 1 this afternoon. It is beautiful so much air it could be the CDB gummie and few puffs of the vape stick. So dreamy the birds are flying around the trees and insects where is this amazing music coming from. LOL

Sep 22, 2021 at 2:31 AM Post #186 of 633
I got to welcome back the Cipher lvl 1 this afternoon. It is beautiful so much air it could be the CDB gummie and few puffs of the vape stick. So dreamy the birds are flying around the trees and insects where is this amazing music coming from. LOL
Man, I should have you writing my ad copy. Thanks.

Sep 22, 2021 at 4:24 AM Post #188 of 633
I wish I could audition the Cipher here in Singapore.
Only a very small percentage of high end electronics can now be auditioned. Because of the conditions created by the internet and the greed of customers to save a buck the previous system of dealers and distributors has been mostly destroyed leaving only the ability to buy direct from manufacturers as the de facto remaining system. The fact that you own a Wells Audio product does give you a window into the sound and quality of our products. This along with the testimonials from current owners should give you some comfort in choosing to purchase another of our products. If that is not enough I can offer you a 100% 14 day money back guarantee on the purchase of a Cipher. The only requirement is that you pay for the shipping to return the product for refund. Let me know if this is commitment enough to earn your trust.

Jeff

Sep 22, 2021 at 4:39 AM Post #189 of 633
Only a very small percentage of high end electronics can now be auditioned. Because of the conditions created by the internet and the greed of customers to save a buck the previous system of dealers and distributors has been mostly destroyed leaving only the ability to buy direct from manufacturers as the de facto remaining system. The fact that you own a Wells Audio product does give you a window into the sound and quality of our products. This along with the testimonials from current owners should give you some comfort in choosing to purchase another of our products. If that is not enough I can offer you a 100% 14 day money back guarantee on the purchase of a Cipher. The only requirement is that you pay for the shipping to return the product for refund. Let me know if this is commitment enough to earn your trust.

Jeff
Fair offer imo

Sep 22, 2021 at 6:00 AM Post #190 of 633
Is anyone going to Capital Audiofest? This will be my first audio convention so excited.

Sep 25, 2021 at 10:53 PM Post #191 of 633

Jeff
Jeff, is Wells audio making it to Canjan NYC next February? Or it's too early to tell?

Sep 25, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #192 of 633

Jeff
The “greed of customers trying to save a buck” is a strange thing to say :thinking:

Sep 26, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #193 of 633
The “greed of customers trying to save a buck” is a strange thing to say :thinking:
It’s a true statement with people like zeo’s claiming such nonsense. All DAC’s sound basically the same, is what Zeo’s claims. I went through more DAC’s then I should have in the end Cipher came back 3 times. The last and final time I was lucky the guy I sold it to sold it back to me. it’s mine again and it’s been the only one to continually make my WA5 LE sound good. Good is when I don’t question the sound like I did with the others DAC’s. Greed is setting on just mass produced units. I know the sound signature of ess 9038 and Cipher doesn’t like it and it doesn’t sound like the other brands of chips either.

Sep 26, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #194 of 633
When I was younger, audio salons were a relatively common thing. As time went on, an increasing number of people used them to audition gear, and would then turn around and buy the same gear from an online dealer for less. In other words, people were availing themselves of a valuable service and then not paying for it. I guess that could reasonably be termed "greed". YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back