Well recorded metal?
Jul 14, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #16 of 77
Wrath - Lamb of God???? I'm not quite sure how that can be considered a well recorded album.

Ashes of the Wake sounds marginally better cos of better recording quality on the drums, but its still compressed to hell.

Here are some good metal albums that I dont recall seeing so far, a lot of them are still compressed a bit, but heck its metal, its supposed to be loud, but the recording quality is still pretty good.

Deliverance - Opeth
Now, Diabolical - Satyricon
Volcano - Satyricon
Ruun - Enslaved
Megadeth - Rust In Peace
Tool - Aenima
Type O Negative - Bloody Kisses
Monstrosity - Spiritual Apocalypse
Naglfar - Pariah
Gojira - The Link, The Way of all Flesh
Iced Earth - Most of their albums are well recorded except maybe the most recent ones
Pantera - Far Beyond Driven, Vulgar Display of Power
Rage Against the Machine - Rage Against the Machine
Zero Hour - Dark Deceiver
Dream Theater - Awake, Train of Thought
Fates Warning - A Pleasant Shade of Gray
Immolation - Dawn of Possesion

Jul 14, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #17 of 77
Riverside - Out of Myself
Baroness - Red Album
Isis - Most of their catalogue

Already mentioned bands like Death, Cynic Dream Theater, Opeth have put out good sounding material.

I also like the raw oldschool production of early Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Dio, Rainbow, way better than loud and compressed modern metal albums.

Jul 14, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #18 of 77

Quote:
Wrath - Lamb of God???? I'm not quite sure how that can be considered a well recorded album.

Ashes of the Wake sounds marginally better cos of better recording quality on the drums, but its still compressed to hell.

haha my definition of good sounding metal means that it has minimal clipping, of course its going to be compressed, thats inevitable.

Jul 14, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #21 of 77

Quote:
shame, cuz it's the last thing RJD gave us...

No no that's the name of the album, not the band (which is the same, sans drummer who came on in the second Dio-era Sabbath lineup).   It was the first album after Ozzy left...and man, it just needs to sound better.  Oh well.

(they named the current/past lineup Heaven and Hell after that album, so I see where the confusion may come)

Jul 17, 2010 at 7:20 AM Post #23 of 77
Coroner - Grin, 1993 (the pinnacle of thrash imo, nice production but a little let down by the spitty cymbals)

The Dillinger Escape Plan - Ire Works, 2008 (extreme hardcore with some melodic vocal. Fantastic production, great drum sound)

Jul 18, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #25 of 77
Subterranean Masquerade - Suspended Animation Dreams
Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction (Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs remaster, on vinyl preferably)
Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain
Anthrax - Among the Living (remaster)
Devin Townsend - Ki
Mercyful Fate - Mellisa (original vinyl pressing)
Ackercocke - Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone

Jul 18, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #26 of 77
All Metal is recorded well.  It is spawned through the love of satan and imbued with the rites of hell.  Thus it is awesome and sounds magical regardless of what medium was used to record it.  True metal can be injected into your aural synapses with a syringe and it will leave you speechless.  Metal is just that badass.

Jul 19, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #27 of 77
I found that In Flames's "The Jester Race" is a really good recording.

Jul 20, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #28 of 77
In general you can't go wrong with any of Therion's recent releases, though I'm not much of a fan of anything older than Vovin.  Secret of the Runes, Gothic Kabbalah and Lemuria/Sirius B are all wonderful sounding studio albums, and Live Gothic is a very good concert recording.  Their most recent live recording, The Miskolc Experience, is lacking in the sound quality department, due to difficulties recording the orchestra. 

Gamma Ray's new album To the Metal! sounds very good to me, and their two most recent live albums Skeletons from the Closet and Hell Yeah! The Awesome Foursome are dynamic and non-clipping, not to mention excellent from a performance perspective.  Land of the Free II is full of nasty clipping, which is a crying shame, since I think it's one of their best-written and best-arranged albums to date.

Someone mentioned Finntroll earlier, and I have to agree that they have been paying close attention to sound quality in their studio creations.  Ur Jordens Djup is one that I frequently listen to on my HD600s with eyes closed.

Jul 20, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #29 of 77
Tool, Riverside, Deftones, and Mastodon.

I hear great things about Dream Theater, Fear Factory and Opeth as well. Looking forward to listening to them.

Jul 20, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #30 of 77
Tool yes, especially Lateralus and 10,000 Days.
Dream Theater yes, almost all their albums are done quite well.
Opeth, yes definitely, *however*, their older albums are pretty bright so on many setups they can be kind of harsh and treble-heavy to listen to.  I hate bright/harsh/overpowering treble from older recordings so YMMV.

I know it's not technically metal, but Nirvana's stuff is actually recorded VERY well, especially their Unplugged album.  Seriously.

Somebody mentioned Lamb of God above, and someone else disagreed.  I don't know about their newer albums, but I own Ashes Of The Wake and it sounds pretty awesome to me.  Unlike some of my favorite Dream Theater, Opeth, Strapping Young Lad, etc. albums, this doesn't have harsh treble or any of that crap.  The frequencies are balanced and to me there might be clipping (because it's effing loud lol) but other than that it sounds great.  There's nothing worse than great music ruined by sucky mastering (i.e. Strapping Young Lad's ALIEN)  I love that album but on half the gear I play it on, it literally hurts my ears.

Quote:
Tool, Riverside, Deftones, and Mastodon.

I hear great things about Dream Theater, Fear Factory and Opeth as well. Looking forward to listening to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back