Well recorded metal?
Jun 18, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #46 of 77
Download the Guitar Hero III rip. It's wave form isn't half as fricked up as the album rip. I already own Death Magnetic, so it's not really illegal in that sense. 

It's a very good album. It's genuine Metallica...however, you're getting into a song, and then *blat* *splat* *splooshffsf*

Jun 18, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #47 of 77

Quote:
Download the Guitar Hero III rip. It's wave form isn't half as fricked up as the album rip. I already own Death Magnetic, so it's not really illegal in that sense. 

It's a very good album. It's genuine Metallica...however, you're getting into a song, and then *blat* *splat* *splooshffsf*

ya the guitar hero 3 rip sounds pretty good. problem is its incredibly quiet,

Jun 19, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #49 of 77
i will echo all the opinions on tools lateralus being really well recorded. its an amazing album.

Jun 20, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #50 of 77

Quote:
I find these to have excellent production values:

Opeth - Blackwater Park
Carcass - Heartwork (original 1994 mix)
Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction (original 1992 mix)
Death - The Sound of Perseverance
Death - Symbolic
Samael - Ceremony of Opposites
Dimmu Borgir - Enthrone Darkness Triumphant
Borknagar - Empiricism
Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk
Agalloch - The Mantle
Watain - Casus Luciferi

Hey man I love Anthems but the production is awful. Definitely my pet peeve with Emperor. 

Jun 20, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #51 of 77
If you want well recorded and quality metal listen to:

Dawn - Slaughtersun

Strapping Young Lad - City (unbelievable production)

Emperor - Prometheus: The Discipline of Fire and Demise (production isn't amazing but this album is just worth mentioning)

Decapitated - Winds of Creation (good death metal production)

Jun 20, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #52 of 77

Quote:
i will echo all the opinions on tools lateralus being really well recorded. its an amazing album.

I personally don't consider Lateralus to be a metal album. I'd say it's more prog-rock than anything or maybe even post-metal. But I agree that album is amazing and the production values are absolutely absurd! My favourite album of all time. :)

Jun 27, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #53 of 77

Quote:
ya the guitar hero 3 rip sounds pretty good. problem is its incredibly quiet,

Thats because they are almost unmastered. There are fan-made masters based on those rips and I've got to say, they sound fantastic. They go for the aggressive loudness that is common in metal today, but with way less severe clipping. My fav is the Deceifer remix. Sounds million times better than the original CD version. Its funny how a bedroom sound editor can outperform big budget mixers and masterers...

Jun 27, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #54 of 77
Funny and sad at the same time. I've never been a great Metallica listener and some of their stuff I heard really was sub-par in terms of recording/mixing/mastering compared to much less "expensive" metal productions. I guess that's partly due to letting the artists decide what sounds good and how a mix should sound like.

Old Iron Maiden albums are hardly compressed (not the re-mastered versions!) and have great dynamic range. Drums sound punchy and clear and guitars a very clean as well.

Also, check out Ayreon if you haven't yet.

Jun 27, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #55 of 77
I think the DTP's Deconstruction sounds really good! As does Ghost but that is not even remotely metal.

Jun 27, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #56 of 77

Quote:
i think you meant aenima and lateralus, 10,000 days sounds freakin horrible, i almost never listen to it because of that

Seriously? I find 10,000 Days to be a very well recorded album. They deliberately made it have some congestion which seems to bury some of the detail, but from my perspective that results in plenty of power with very little brightness. The detail is there, but it is presented differently, more ambient than in your face. I am no fan of poorly recorded albums, in fact I can barely listen to most of my collection of rock due to the compression and poor recordings that predominate. I was pleased to find that 10 000 Days was actually playable and at a decent volume through HP or speakers. I agree that Aenima is a well recorded album, Lateralus is a little hot with trebble/upper-mids once you turn it up and believe me, I have tried many, many times. In fact, tonight I'll let Lateralus rip with my new HF2s and see if I still find it so. Cheers.

bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 28, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #57 of 77
+1 on Amon Amarth. I guess later albums have better production value and mixing, but I like the raw nature of the earlier albums.

OP, Based on you liking Wintersun and Ensiferum (love your taste already!), I will recommend Equilibrium's Sagas and Moonsorrow (not sure which album to recommend, haven't had the chance to try out all of their albums with good equipment yet), TURISAS (I'm surprised noone mentioned them yet, especially since Finntroll has been up!), specifically their album The Varangian Way. This is more about taste than recording quality here, but since I avoided any folk band I know have bad recording quality, that should be taken care of already. :)

Jun 28, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #58 of 77
Some well recorded stuff I don't think I saw:

Gojira - From Mars to Sirius
Gojira - The Way of All Flesh
Tyr - By the Light of the Northern Star
Dysentery - Internal Devastation (friends with the guy who produced this one)
Severed Savior - Servile Insurrection
Gory Blister - Graveyard of Angels
maudlin of the Well - Part the Second (this is a bit more avant garde actually)
Mirrorthrone - Carriers of Dust
Deathspell Omega - Paracletus
Behemoth - Evangelion
Trepalium - XIII

Jun 28, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #59 of 77

Quote:
+1 on Amon Amarth. I guess later albums have better production value and mixing, but I like the raw nature of the earlier albums.

OP, Based on you liking Wintersun and Ensiferum (love your taste already!), I will recommend Equilibrium's Sagas and Moonsorrow (not sure which album to recommend, haven't had the chance to try out all of their albums with good equipment yet), TURISAS (I'm surprised noone mentioned them yet, especially since Finntroll has been up!), specifically their album The Varangian Way. This is more about taste than recording quality here, but since I avoided any folk band I know have bad recording quality, that should be taken care of already. :)

I find The Varangian Way to have pretty poor recording quality.  I haven't seen any waveforms, but it sounds distorted in all the wrong ways to me.  Their newest album, Stand Up and Fight, sounds quite a bit better, though it's quite a departure musically.  It's got some David Bowie and even Broadway elements, and I really like it.

Edit: I should note that I totally agree that The Varangian Way is a brilliant album from a songwriting and performance perspective.  I never listen to it on my HD600s due to the distortion, but it's great for noncritical listening, driving, etc.

Jun 30, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #60 of 77
Sideshow Symphonies
Arcturus

This is the best recorded metal I have ever heard.

Other power metal albums would be Seven Seals by Primal Fear. Also Devil's Ground by Primal Fear is recorded well. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back