weird, unordinary, unique music recommedations?
Mar 22, 2008 at 4:33 AM Post #48 of 103
6a00cd97023a504cd500cdf7eec307094f-500pi

Comus - First Utterance

demilich-nespithe.jpg

Demilich - Nespithe (available for free download on their site... well, all of these are available for free download if you're crafty.)

sylvie___babs.jpg

Nurse With Wound - The Sylvie & Babs Hi-Fi Companion

51JCZZ39G1L._AA240_.jpg

Alfred Schnittke - Symphony No. 1

partch.jpg

Harry Partch - Delusion of the Fury[/i]

Gorguts-Obscura.jpg

Gorguts - Obscura

5b75203c.jpg

Meredith Monk - Dolmen Music

I'd add descriptions, but there's already enough on the internet, and my recommendations are inherently superior to everyone else's anyway. Well, here's three: Comus sounds like a breakout from an insane asylum ca. 1450 AD. Harry Partch sounds like a bunch of vagabonds arguing about Grecian literature. Demilich sounds like bass-heavy angular technical death metal with the best vocals you'll ever hear.

Mar 22, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #49 of 103
Check out Uakti, the album called Uakti. Brazilian instrumental group known for using custom-made instruments, built by the group itself. Killer, psychoacoustic sound quality Check it out on Amazon. Very good stuff!

Mar 22, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #50 of 103
Captain Beefheart takes a little getting used to. Repeated plays and certain unnamed substances eventually ease accessibility.

Is Tom Waits still considered offbeat? He's worth a try. So are the Super Furry Animals, Dungen, Th' Legendary Shack Shakers and maybe Grandaddy, though they're sorta mainstream.

One oddball disc I keep coming back to is "The Dream That Stuff Was Made Of," by the Starlight Mints. Endless surprises and twists and turns. Their video for "Popsickle" is pretty strange, too.

I'll second Sun Ra for weirdness, and he has quite a catalog, too.

Do you have any taste for 20th century classical?

Mar 22, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #51 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by thejoneser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out Uakti, the album called Uakti. Brazilian instrumental group known for using custom-made instruments, built by the group itself. Killer, psychoacoustic sound quality Check it out on Amazon. Very good stuff!

It's a great album that I bought on a whim when it first came out in the 80s. I don't consider it weird at all. It is different and unusual though. Especially interesting is one track that is tuned water flowing though pipes. I've never heard anything quite like it.

Another very unusual album is Frank Zappa - The Yellow Shark. Zappa chamber music played by The Ensemble Modern, conducted by Zappa.

Mar 22, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #52 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Khanate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
**** Buttons - Street Horrrsing (the real f word at the begining)

I picked that one up this week thanks to the Pitchfork review. It is a pretty good album; maybe a little too fuzzed out on tracks 3 and 4. "Sweet Love for Planet Earth" is a nice song. I've already played it out!

--

Quote:

Originally Posted by ueyteuor
adult.

Nice call there, they're definitely an an acquired taste, especially since "D.U.M.E." Some listed "Gimmie Trouble" as one of their five favorite electronic albums in the other thread. That album is still growing on me. You have to be in a special mood for their world sometimes.

Mar 23, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #53 of 103
To OP:

-Animal Collective and Grizzly Bear the like are typically referred to as "freak folk," for obvious reasons.

-You should check out the latest Deerhoof album (Friend Opportunity), which is more like a "normal" album than their earlier ones.

-If you want to really melt your brain, try listening to Lightning Bolt. It's a two piece noise rock band that is the most undeniably frenetic music I have ever heard.

-Menomena and Deerhunter were two of the more talked about indie rock bands from early 2007, and you should listen to any of their material you can obtain.

Mar 23, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #55 of 103
I forgot to add in my last post one of my great finds, courtesy of a Cafe Del Mar CD: The Gotan Project. It's French Tango Music. La Revancha Del Tango is the best of their albums I've heard so far. Imagine someone mixed Yello, ambient and jazz altogether, or something along those lines.

Mar 23, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #56 of 103
Hm what about Wesley Willis?
The least you can say is that he was weird.

Oh and i like Suicide, they sound a bit weird to me. Don't know if they belong in this list

Some others I like

Fennesz
Boris
Sunn O)))
Merzbow
Sigur Ros
Mùm
Aus
Shreber Harber Mole Flying Wheel
Xinisupreme

Mar 24, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #58 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I picked that one up this week thanks to the Pitchfork review. It is a pretty good album; maybe a little too fuzzed out on tracks 3 and 4. "Sweet Love for Planet Earth" is a nice song. I've already played it out!

I think the first five tracks are really nice and I've been listening to most of these a lot. I do think "Sweet Love for Planet Earth" is a really good song and somehow "Bright Tomorrow" feels like techno for me, makes me want to throw up my hands with glowsticks and just get into a rave!

Probably my favorite album so far this year!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back