weird, unordinary, unique music recommedations?
Mar 16, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #32 of 103
I just downloaded Dan Deacon - Spiderman of the Rings, after the comments, and some quick previews in iTunes... wow.
This is my kinda s**t!

Those that like highly sample-based and whimiscal sound collage / music might enjoy:

The Bran Flakes

Lots of silly samples done in a (generally) light-hearted and fun way. All their releases are available through iTunes - but if you go through the link above and follow it to 'sounds', they have a good selection of tracks for listening or download as MP3. Worth checking out IMO.

The only Matmos I have is actually a live recording with People Like Us /Matmos / Wobbly that is downloadable here:

UbuWeb Sound - People Like Us, Matmos and Wobbly - Wide Open Spaces

It's unusual - but fun.

I really need to find the new release from Matmos - what I heard through their website sounded really good and interesting.

Mar 16, 2008 at 5:41 AM Post #34 of 103
didgeridoo, rainsticks, frame drums, clay flutes.......etc.

41M80QMM87L._SS500_.jpg

Mar 16, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #35 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by centerfold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you want interesting voice (and harps), Joanna Newsom

love her, known her for a while

thanks for all the recommendations people.. i'm listening and liking a lot of new artists i'm hearing about... keep it up

Mar 17, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #36 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Ramsay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really need to find the new release from Matmos - what I heard through their website sounded really good and interesting.

Too much music, too little time, but yeah if you enjoyed the link you gave, then yeah. I take you speak of The Rose Has Teeth in the Mouth of the Beast which is quite the conceptual work right down the included picture cards packaged with the disc. They're an acquired taste, and any song's melody doesn't reveal itself easily. That shouldn't be a problem for you though judging by your prior list.

Thanks for the UbuWeb link. I perused it this morning and rather enjoyed it along with Bran Flakes. Can't say I've heard of them, and my curiosity is peaked. I'm definitely going to give them another once over.

Mar 17, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #37 of 103
The weirdest of them all was Sun Ra (60's and 70's era). If you are willing to move in a post-War classical music direction, then Stockhausen was the king of weird (Xenakis is pretty close). You might like John Cage as well.

For weird rock in the Zappa/Beefheart/Residents tradition, consider something like Bongwater.

More recent avante-rock like No Neck Blues Band or the Boredoms is pretty out there.

Here is a "ranked" list of top "Avante Garde" artists from allmusic guide:

1stThe Art Ensemble of Chicago60s-00sJazz
1stAlbert Ayler60s, 70sJazz
1stPeter Brötzmann60s-00sJazz
1stJohn Coltrane50s, 60sJazz
1stCharles Mingus40s-70sJazz
1stSun Ra40s-90sJazz
1stJohn Zorn70s-00s
2ndAMM60s-00s
2ndDerek Bailey60s-00sJazz
2ndAnthony Braxton60s-00sJazz
2ndWillem Breuker60s-00sJazz
2ndEugene Chadbourne70s-00s
2ndDon Cherry50s-90sJazz
2ndMarcel Duchamp10s, 50s, 60s
2ndMalachi Favors60s-00sJazz
2ndFred Frith60s-00s
2ndHenry Kaiser70s-00sRock
2nd The Kronos Quartet70s-00sClassical
2ndJoëlle Léandre80s-00s
2ndMisha Mengelberg60s-00sJazz
2ndRoscoe Mitchell60s-00sJazz
2ndMeredith Monk60s-00s
2ndWilliam Parker70s-00sJazz
2ndHarry Partch20s-70s
2ndThe Residents70s-00sRock
2ndMatthew Shipp70s-00sJazz
2ndDavid Tudor50s-90s
2ndOtomo Yoshihide70s-00s
3rd Aksak Maboul70s, 80sRock
3rdMaryanne Amacher70s-90s
3rdAmsterdam String Trio80s-00s
3rdJaap Blonk80s-00s
3rd Myles Boisen90s, 00sJazz
3rd Bill Brovold80s-00sRock
3rdHarold Budd60s-00s
3rdWilliam S. Burroughs50s-90sSpoken Word
3rd Rhys Chatham70s-90s
3rd Gene Coleman's Plus-Minus90sJazz
3rdLoren MazzaCane Connors70s-00s
3rd Tony Conrad60s, 70s, 90s
3rd John Corbett90s, 00s
3rd Michel F. Côté90s, 00s
3rd Alvin Curran60s-00s

Mar 17, 2008 at 7:03 AM Post #38 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Deerhoof prattles?
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif
I, too, loves Deerhoof.

--

I'll add Dan Deacon - Spiderman of the Rings, which to me sounds a bit like Battles got with Panda Bear and made a kid composed 8 bit Nintendo Rock.

just listened to snake mistakes, and that indeed sounds exactly what you describe it as! but i really like this music.. thanks for the recommendation!

Mar 17, 2008 at 11:25 AM Post #40 of 103
Top of my weird but great list is The Art of Noise's album, The Ambient Collection. It's 80's "lets sample a lot of sounds and make music with them" stuff (rather like Yello) but very well done.

Listening to a Cafe Del Mar CD, I found a jazzy tune I rather liked by the Gotan Project, of all things, French tango music remixed with some vocals here and there.

Buckethead is on my list to retry after a friend persuaded me to have a listen.

The Necks is great if you are interested in one-cd-long tracks of what I'd call "ambient jazz". Sex and Hanging Gardens are my favourites, but in the way Buckethead is a highly reputed but unknown guitarist, The Necks are much the same in Australia.

Mar 19, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #41 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by ueyteuor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for the recommendation!

You are most welcome and thanks for the thread. I was just browsing and planning a couple of purchases myself.

--

Since you mention Newsom, I've got one for chambertronica fans, (who isn't nowadays), the Norwegian Hanne Hukkelberg just released a new album - Rykestraße 68. Her voice is thick and lovely, reminds me a little of Feist, over pretty ambient soundscapes. I would describe it as unique. Work into Northwind and check out the typewriter

I'll give the thread a bump with that and hope for more!

Mar 20, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #43 of 103
Something I just listened to the other day.

Vivian Stanshall - Sir Henry at Rawlinson End

ref=pd_bbs_sr_1

It's available here now, but 12 years ago, it was the first CD I looked for on my first trip to England. It's very Pythonesque. Quite a bit of spoken word, but some odd music as well. I've never heard Bonzo Dog Band who Stanshall was in, but it's supposed to be some odd music as well.

Mar 20, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #44 of 103
**** Buttons - Street Horrrsing (the real f word at the begining)
Sunn O)))
BT - This Binary Universe
Burial - Untrue
The Knife - Silent Shout
Ratatat - Ratatat

Another for Dan Deacon (and that first song, I found it amazing on first listen :p)

And yes, Deerhoof
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #45 of 103
Terry Riley:s In C comes to my mind, extreamly uterly disturbing, weird, fantastic view on minimalism.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back