Wearing Sennheiser IE8 Upside down = better isolation + fit!
Dec 29, 2008 at 4:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 144

Beyerfan70

100+ Head-Fier
If you are having problems with the fit of the Ie8 then wear them Like normal phones with the wires pointing straight down.
The seal is sooooo much better.
They don't fall out and are very comfortable.
Even isolation improves a bit too which is a good thing.
I found this out today as the pair i had i gave as a christmas present to a friend.
When i saw him today i asked how he was getting on with them and he said they were awesome but i noticed he was wearing them down and when i said you are supposed to wear them over the ear he said he tried that and said they didn't fit at all.
So naturally i had to ask if i could try.
So i tried some of my ue tips.....
Great seal,better isolation but most importantly they didn't fall out.
It never crossed my mind to try this when i had them so i am now seething with jealously.lol.
Seriously now i know this i will definitely get another pair when i can afford them.
So if you are having trouble with the fit or even if you are not try wearing em this way.

Dec 29, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #2 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beyerfan70 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are having problems with the fit of the Ie8 then wear them Like normal phones with the wires pointing straight down.
The seal is sooooo much better.
They don't fall out and are very comfortable.
Even isolation improves a bit too which is a good thing.
I found this out today as the pair i had i gave as a christmas present to a friend.
When i saw him today i asked how he was getting on with them and he said they were awesome but i noticed he was wearing them down and when i said you are supposed to wear them over the ear he said he tried that and said they didn't fit at all.
So naturally i had to ask if i could try.
So i tried some of my ue tips.....
Great seal,better isolation but most importantly they didn't fall out.
It never crossed my mind to try this when i had them so i am now seething with jealously.lol.
Seriously now i know this i will definitely get another pair when i can afford them.
So if you are having trouble with the fit or even if you are not try wearing em this way.

I sure wish I had known that. I really liked them. They kept coming unsealed for me as well.

Dec 29, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #3 of 144
I found out that if you reverse the left and right, then you can actually wearing IE-8 as normal earbuds, which doesn't need over-ear style.
Since IE-8 can actuall change wire, I just put the left wire to the right driver and vice ver sa.
It works great for me!

Dec 29, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #4 of 144
Really? I didn't even know the IE8's cable was removable/replaceable. Interesting....

Dec 29, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #6 of 144
Quote:

Yep.
Go on moseboy.....go for it!

oO? What, am I a dog now?...

*Looks at avatar picture*

...Oh....

EDIT: So Beyerfan70, knowing that you discovered this just today, you are obviously willing to recommend the IE8 again, correct?

Quote:

You know what,a couple of days ago i would have recommended the Ie8's but as you know the isolation is not there at all.
Shame because in my experience it certainly sounds HUGE!
But based on what you have said i will throw another idea in and recommend the Shure Se310,it fits your requirements and believe me it sounds Great!
Imo price to performance nothing touches it and it's not as expensive as many you are looking at.
I'm sure i will be in the minority here but as far as i'm concerned these sound as high end as any of the more expensive ones.
I've tried many of the ones you mention and hand on heart none of em are "better" it's more a case of taste.
But you won't be disappointed with the 310's.
When i get rid of these ie8's i will get myself a backup pair simply because all round there isn't anything better.
Hope this helps and good luck on your search,i hope you find what you want.

Dec 30, 2008 at 1:07 PM Post #7 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by Randious /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found out that if you reverse the left and right, then you can actually wearing IE-8 as normal earbuds, which doesn't need over-ear style.
Since IE-8 can actuall change wire, I just put the left wire to the right driver and vice ver sa.
It works great for me!

Absolutely. much better then over ear
ksc75smile.gif

Dec 30, 2008 at 1:17 PM Post #8 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by musictang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Absolutely. much better then over ear
ksc75smile.gif

X2 but there is no real need to switch cables.

sorry i didn't mention the detachable cable moseboy in my other thread.

Dec 30, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #9 of 144
Here is a pic of the IE8 cable detached from the IEM.

sennheiser_ie-8_4.jpg

BTW, I did what Randious did by switching the IEM units to the opposite cables and I agree that it is more comfortable then the over the ear approach for myself. It is completely in my ear and not sticking out and seems to be easier insertion. If one doesn't reverse the IEM units onto the opposite cables, the IEMS will stick out of the ear when worn.

@AgainstTheGrain The reason you would switch the cables when worn with cable down is to keep the IEMs inside the ear and not sticking out. The other benefit is that this maintains the IEMs correct stereo effects because otherwise the stereo effects would be reverse. For example, on The Postal Service's Such Great Heights song, the "beeping" starts on the right side. Without reversing the cables, the "beeping" would start on the left side.

Dec 30, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #10 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by AgainstTheGrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry i didn't mention the detachable cable moseboy in my other thread.

Don't worry about it. That's so awesome.

Dec 30, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #11 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAQemUP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If one doesn't reverse the IEM units onto the opposite cables, the IEMS will stick out of the ear when worn.

@AgainstTheGrain The reason you would switch the cables when worn with cable down is to keep the IEMs inside the ear and not sticking out.

Huh? I dont really see why they'd stick out of the ears more, aren't the connections completely the same but mirrored?
Btw, is there a special way to unplug the cables, i'm afraid of breaking anything hehe, their pretty tight..

Dec 30, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #12 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blacksad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Huh? I dont really see why they'd stick out of the ears more, aren't the connections completely the same but mirrored?
Btw, is there a special way to unplug the cables, i'm afraid of breaking anything hehe, their pretty tight..

No no, see how the actual tips angle forward into your ear canal when the cable is straight up? Well if you turn them upside down, that angle is reversed (going backwards instead of forwards like your ear canal), thus making them stick out more due to the angle of your ear canal. If you reverse the left and the right phones and turn the phones upside down, the angle is once again flush with the angle of your ear canal. Kind of like a negative times a negative equals a positive.

I don't have the IE8 yet, but I know why you would reverse the phones when you have them pointing down. When I had my super.fi 5 pro, I modded them close to the same way so I got a better fit, but I ended up selling them anyway.

EDIT: "Kind of like a negative times a negative equals a positive." <- That's a horrible analogy, I apologize....

So we should like... find the best place online for me to buy them from that ships to the US... so I can get these... and do the same thing.... That'd be great o_o.

Dec 30, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #13 of 144
Aaaaaah like that, yeah was using them that way, but thanks!

I'm giving it a shot now, im not sure if i like it more then over the ear, my left ear does in terms of comfort though.. I'll share my experience later on.

Dec 30, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #14 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blacksad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aaaaaah like that, yeah was using them that way, but thanks!

I'm giving it a shot now, im not sure if i like it more then over the ear, my left ear does in terms of comfort though.. I'll share my experience later on.

Coo, coo.... What about your buying experience
icon10.gif

Dec 30, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #15 of 144
Haha, well i live in Europe, the Netherlands to be precise, and i could get a great deal.. All i can say is, buying these is a great experience
biggrin.gif

Btw, WOW @ the bass being way more pronounced wearing them this way, still not sure if i like it more, we'll see! The soundstage also seems to have widened up even more! Incredible.. still not sure tho...

Oh and geez, just buy these!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back