WE WANT MUD! Dark headphones appreciation thread
Mar 3, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #31 of 73
tenor.gif

The Audioquest NightHawk and NightOwl were intentionally voiced to sound like a muddy, mushy mess.
Maybe..if you normally like shrill bright shrieky headphones.

Mar 3, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #32 of 73
Oh yeah! Imagine if the T1 had the smooth frequency response of the DT 150! What a beautiful world would that be!

Honestly I own a T1.2 and find it quite warm, smooth, and I don’t find it bright at all. In fact I find my HD 6XX brighter overall. Better the system the more pleasant they sound, Beyers are quite system sensitive in terms of treble.

Not dark at all

Agree the HD 650 isn’t dark, in fact it’s a bit too much in the upper mids/lower treble imho.

Mar 3, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #34 of 73
Honestly never found the Nighthawks muddy or mushy, in fact I found them better composed, articulated, and clearer than most.
If you listened to a good loudspeaker setup in a good room, you would not find the Nighthawks muddy or mushy in comparison.

Mar 3, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #35 of 73
Mud, id say beats has great mud

Mar 3, 2020 at 8:06 PM Post #36 of 73
I listened to my WH-H900N on the Tube today, Pat Methenys new album on Tidal Masters over LDAC. It's hard to say it's not resolving, as it is. And rather dark too, cymbals sounds very full like irl as opposite to tinny.

WH-H900N has different drivers from XM3, it has 40mm Titanium drivers.

are these worth it over the sony 1000? I have the sony 700, and today a friend brought the 1000. The 1000 work over aptx in my macbook, sounded very very detailed, and very good, I liked them a lot. My 700 costed me half the price, but connect via SBC no matter what, and the sound quality because of this is way lower. Much worse actually. I wonder if 900 can do aptx directly on my machine, would be a great middle ground. still, for podcasts and youtube, the 700 are ok I guess, but I rather get something better.

Mar 3, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #37 of 73
HD650 are not dark, at all. darker than 600, but not dark really. 660 are supposed to be dark, I have not tested them.

I think fostex t50rp could be catalogued as dark?? anyone? I think I would like to buy them.

Mar 3, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #38 of 73
Mud is muddy. Have to think veiled non reference. Bass is just part of the mud. I say beats nice n flat n muddy

Mar 3, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #40 of 73
I think a lot of people who would go to an orchestra or opera event at a plush venue would find the performance 'dark', if they used headphones as their point of reference.

Mar 3, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #41 of 73
are these worth it over the sony 1000? I have the sony 700, and today a friend brought the 1000. The 1000 work over aptx in my macbook, sounded very very detailed, and very good, I liked them a lot. My 700 costed me half the price, but connect via SBC no matter what, and the sound quality because of this is way lower. Much worse actually. I wonder if 900 can do aptx directly on my machine, would be a great middle ground. still, for podcasts and youtube, the 700 are ok I guess, but I rather get something better.

I don't know as I haven't compared, the 1000XM3 have better noise cancelling and are lighter. On the flip side so does the WH-H900N have the same DSP so all functions are the same as the XM3, worse noise cancelling is because of worse microphone array. Mine does 24-bit LDAC from my LG G7 so BT sound quality is quite good.

Mar 4, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #43 of 73
Are you sure about that? Looking at the T1 frequency graph (whichever generation) makes me sick to my stomach! How is it warmer than the 650: the one reliable cure for sibilance?

Yes I'm sure I've owned both for many months and tried both on numerous systems. They don't sound anything like their frequency graph suggests, especially in regard to the treble. I find the treble on them more pleasant than the HD 6XX's and they aren't sibilant or sharp sounding. I find my Amiron Home notably brighter in the treble and it definitely has a largish spike which makes it sound a bit sharp and a tad sibilant at times, same with the DT 1990, but I'm just not hearing a large spike on the T1.2.

Mar 4, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #44 of 73
Well th900 has recessed mids a thumbing bass and nice highs, frankly a refrence bass head can, but NO MUD.
you want mud you want beats

Mar 4, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #45 of 73
Sony noise cancelling Mark 3 has nearly impossible to eq out mud. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back