Watts Up...?
Feb 21, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #706 of 4,674
i did read digi amps will have volume control.

Feb 21, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #707 of 4,674
so you are both saying use thisor use this ?? at the H2 end. any advantages or disadvantages with either?

also rolls could you share some detail as to how h2 with b2 sounded? that would be great!! thanks mk.:)
I would choose the adapter, because high/good quality spdif cables are not availbale with 3.5mm plug.
Regarding Hugo2/Dave/Blue2 I have written a few post in the blue thread, because my neighbour has a H2, amd I own
a Bluedave. We both run our dacs straight into Omega Alnico speakers and/or a big horn system.
I could live with BlueHugo2, but not with DAVE or Hugo alone, even if I had DAVE, when Blue2 was not available yet.

Feb 22, 2018 at 6:02 AM Post #708 of 4,674
I've been following posts along this line. Is this connection an easy thing to do (M-scaler to an H2)? I've read about all sorts of tricks necessary with two sets of specialized cables with special ferrite RFI/EMI suppressors, etc. Are there any recommended guidelines?

That the reason why I get a Chord Qutest, BNC-to-BNC, and will wait for the standalone M scale. The other reason is I am a 2ch. and Qutest is a pure dac with shorter path, from digital to analogue, because ten layers of PCB. Therefore I've a gut feeling of it'll sound better than Hugo 2.

Don't forget that the power supply for Qutest is external, same as most of the flagship pre-power :) and it could be battery-powered too if one not concern about voiding of warranty! :)

Btw, I've said enough! :wink:

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #711 of 4,674
That the reason why I get a Chord Qutest, BNC-to-BNC, and will wait for the standalone M scale. The other reason is I am a 2ch. and Qutest is a pure dac with shorter path, from digital to analogue, because ten layers of PCB. Therefore I've a gut feeling of it'll sound better than Hugo 2.

Don't forget that the power supply for Qutest is external, same as most of the flagship pre-power :) and it could be battery-powered too if one not concern about voiding of warranty! :)

Btw, I've said enough! :wink:
Rob - are there plans for a stand-alone M-scaler? I'm not wanting Chord to give away their most highly-guarded proprietary secrets, but it seems like this would be an obvious evolution. (I don't even own CDs anymore!)

Feb 22, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #713 of 4,674
On launching the Blu 2 we said that other M scaler units will come out! But lips are sealed about anything else...
I hope they'll be redeemed as soon as possible. I'm longing for the M-Scaler impatiently myself.

I predict that it will be a huge commercial success and particularly a great boost for Chord Electronics' reputation. :smile_phones:

Feb 22, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #714 of 4,674
On launching the Blu 2 we said that other M scaler units will come out! But lips are sealed about anything else....

It's OK, I am pretty sure of not losing my bet with a fellow Head-Fi member that there will not be a launch before the end of this year. Be careful mind you, there is a lot of money at stake. £5 does not grow on trees.

Feb 22, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #715 of 4,674
It's OK, I am pretty sure of not losing my bet with a fellow Head-Fi member that there will not be a launch before the end of this year....

Chord will have a marketing coup if they can release, in M-Scaler upsampled WAV form, snippets of songs along with ordinary redbook versions. Perhaps in 8fs and 16fs versions so users of previous Chord DACs can play the WAV file and compare. There are few other lower cost Sabre/AKM DACs that support up to 705.6/768khz input via WAV as well: Pro-Ject S2 Digital, RME ADI-2, etc.
@Rob Watts talked about doing this as part of the DAVINA project.

Feb 22, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #716 of 4,674
How about a pure power pulse array technology question (without giving away anything about future products)?

Basically is there any significant differences when going up in power in the topology used?

For example, running the OP in class A will give high heat etc, have you considered doing some kind of variable bias solution? Considering that in the digital domain we know exactly how much power the OP can be asked to give either using only the volume setting or also the "signal". We could for example run 100 W class A only if volume is above -10 dB and otherwise run 10 W class A?

Feb 23, 2018 at 1:05 AM Post #717 of 4,674
The beauty about power pulse array is that it shares the efficiency of Class D - but the output stage can be full Class A, and the signal path is completely linear. So sliding bias, or adjusting bias (it's always a very bad idea to change anything with signal) is not needed.

Feb 23, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #718 of 4,674
The beauty about power pulse array is that it shares the efficiency of Class D - but the output stage can be full Class A, and the signal path is completely linear. So sliding bias, or adjusting bias (it's always a very bad idea to change anything with signal) is not needed.

That would imply to my untrained logic that dynamics will be more natural (true to life) via these new amps Rob. Would it be reasonable to assume that?

Feb 23, 2018 at 1:55 AM Post #719 of 4,674
Yes - hence my comments earlier about wood blocks... They are very difficult to reproduce convincingly - you have the power and clarity of the initial dynamic hit, followed by the timbre of the block. And this impact with timbre subtlety is something I notice when Dave drives efficient loudspeakers directly - plus the often reported huge soundstage.

Feb 23, 2018 at 2:13 AM Post #720 of 4,674
Thanks! That sounds perfect. :)

Hope you and John are preparing to sell many power pulse array amps.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back